What Is Your Expectation for 2024?

What Is Your Expectation For 2024?

• Top 6

• Middle 6

• Bottom 6

• No Ceiling

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

As the club begins the build up to the 2024 season, I'm wondering what are peoples expectations for the first season under Yze?

Can we rebound from a bottom 6 finish last year and become a genuine finals contender?

Will we be a mid table contender, maybe scraping into the 8 and playing a final but not quite good enough to challenge the best teams?

Do we remain a bottom 6 side as Yze implements a new game style and prioritizes the development of the younger players over short term success?

Are you thinking along the same lines as Yze in his comments since being appointed and not putting a ceiling on what we can achieve in terms of ladder positions?

Personally I'm not putting a ceiling on where we will finish. What I am hoping to see is the youth earning and getting their opportunities to show they belong and establish themselves as AFL quality. In saying that I'm prepared to wear another finish in the bottom half of the ladder in a similar manner to what we achieved in Hardwicks 2nd/3rd seasons, where we win 8-10 games while we're implementing a new game plan as well as developing the next generation of talent. If that is how the season unfolds then I'll enjoy getting to games and seeing it unfold.

However if we're still playing a side built mainly on the remaining premiership heroes with the younger players being the scapegoats at the selection table and we end up finishing in the bottom 6, then it's going to be disappointing on multiple levels. Firstly it will mean that the youth that a lot of us have faith in aren't as good as we believed, it will also signify that it's going to get a lot worse before it improves as it will mean that a more complete rebuild will need to be undertaken to build up that next generation of talent.

OIP.lPSzJIAKj2aeqfROt8itogHaD4

The main things I would like to see in 2024 are:

- bed in a new game plan and plenty more games for our younger players.

- full commitment from the players to the new game plan.

- by the end of the season, presuming we are not decimated by injuries, we are playing as well as at least a couple of the finals teams, whether we qualify for finals or not.

- given the Prestia and Martin contracts expire this year, at least one strong acquisition in the off season.

- Groupie_ club makes a long term commitment to the magnificent flouro yellow on our lady killer playing vests. :)

Lynch and Gibcus are massive *en ins
Add a few youngsters to take the next step
Cumbo
Sonz
Banks
Brown
Ryan
Clarke
Samson

Dusty in peak fitness, Bolton to rise again I reckon now he’s had experience of being tagged in the midfield. Hopper and Taranto more experienced in our system and should be better

Reckon we will surprise a lot of people

Last edited:
I want the hunger for the contest to return, also would like to see improved skills across the field. We need to see more kids given a chance to show us what they have, outside of that not going to worry too much next season. As in my eyes its start of a new rebuild in all aspects of our game. The following season will be when I expect us to be pushing for finals again.

We could easily be bottom 4, but could also make finals but it’s unlikely depending what our game plan evolves into. Last year everyone on talked us up as having the best forward line, all the kids were going to take the next step, Dusty would be back to 2017 levels etc and we were s**t.

It all comes down to game plan. Ours has been outdated for too long

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's look at our performance against the top 8 sides this year.

Collingwood- lost by under 3 goals with an injury ravaged team against the pies in peak form.

Brisbane- the only top 8 side that flogged us. We will beat them at the MCG.

Port- lost by under two goals and really should've beaten them with a touch more class. The second time we played them we actually dominated them for a half before they put as away late (keep in mind this was a top four side primed for finals at ao and we were literally debuting rookies).

Dees- like get ****ed we should've beaten these pricks twice. Freakish accuracy saved them both times (think ******* Petty and Melksham slotting them from 45 m out on the boundary line. Then they reach finals and their players struggled to even hit the boot.....)

Carlton- get ****ed we should've beaten them as well. Admittedly they have improve a lot since then (but so should we)

Saints- we dominated them the first time. Who cares about the dead rubber later in the season.

Giants- we beat them in an absolute thriller. They are just about the best side in the comp now but we will beat them at the MCG.

Swans- lost after being ravaged by injuries but then beat them at the MCG later in the season, even though we played poorly for a half.

There's no ******* way we don't beat all of these muppets next season..

Let's look at our performance against the top 8 sides this year.

Collingwood- lost by under 3 goals with an injury ravaged team against the pies in peak form.

Brisbane- the only top 8 side that flogged us. We will beat them at the MCG.

Port- lost by under two goals and really should've beaten them with a touch more class. The second time we played them we actually dominated them for a half before they put as away late (keep in mind this was a top four side primed for finals at ao and we were literally debuting rookies).

Dees- like get ed we should've beaten these pricks twice. Freakish accuracy saved them both times (think *** Petty and Melksham slotting them from 45 m out on the boundary line. Then they reach finals and their players struggled to even hit the boot.....)

Carlton- get ****ed we should've beaten them as well. Admittedly they have improve a lot since then (but so should we)

Saints- we dominated them the first time. Who cares about the dead rubber later in the season.

Giants- we beat them in an absolute thriller. They are just about the best side in the comp now but we will beat them at the MCG.

Swans- lost after being ravaged by injuries but then beat them at the MCG later in the season, even though we played poorly for a half.

There's no ******* way we don't beat all of these muppets next season..

lol

It is going to be an interesting season that's for sure.
Naturally Lynch will have a big say in the season.

Most interesting will be seeing if and how many of the 15-20 odd kids we have ready to go.
How many of these kids who are mostly playing now take the next step, and how many of the untried or almost untried kids make the jump.

Losing Cotchin and Jack and a few others, maybe a few established players, will open the door for the kids.
Are we going to be a better side because of it. You would think yes, but it might not translate straight away.
Those established player are not going to give their positions up easily, and nor should they.
For example, Grimes is not in many posters best 22, but surely he deserves to be given a go early given how good he has been.
Our best/most exciting 22 might now be playing until a fair chunk into the season.

However it goes, as long as there is a positive transition from old to new over the year I'd be happy.

I don't have any expectations. The first time in a while since I don't have expectations heading into a season.

I think we will finish towards the bottom of the ladder, but at the same time wouldn't be surprised (and hope) we make finals.

I will just sit back and enjoy the ride regardless what the season dishes out.

Back