Preview 2nd Preliminary Final: Brisbane Lions vs Geelong Cats @ The Gabba, Sat Oct 17th, 6:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we play with the intensity we brought against Richmond, we win. Simples. Watching the Port v Geelong Qualifying Final will be instructive. I donā€™t think the players will have a problem with self belief, but it is super important that they donā€™t get ahead of themselves. They need to apply physical and scoreboard pressure from the outset and everyone needs to contribute. We canā€™t afford passengers.

I agree with Jackess that we are a midfielder short. It's why we traded for CEY, but he hasn't quite measured up. Can't afford for any of our first choice midfielders to have a quiet night. Danger and Hawkins the obvious challenges. If they don't get off the chain, Geelong won't kick a winning score. I think we might still be a year away from winning a prelim against a seasoned opponent. Hope I'm wrong

Last edited:
I agree with Jackess that we are a midfielder short. It's why we traded for CEY, but he hasn't quite measured up. Can't afford for any of our first choice midfielders to have a quiet night. Danger and Hawkins the obvious challenges. If they don't get off the chain, Geelong won't kick a winning score. I think we might still be a year away from winning a prelim against a seasoned opponent. Hope I'm wrong
I thought the same before finals started but the win against Richmond has turned me around, very even 4 teams left IMO, wouldn't be a surprise if anyone of them won it from here, I'm tipping a Lions v Tigers GF.

I do think that whatever happens we will be a better side next year.

Without looking at the stats, I feel like Hawkins is the one player that has had Andrew's number. Big game coming up for Harris.

the problem is what do we do if Hawkins gets on top of Andrews again? This is where we need Adams because he was able to handle Hawkins far better than Andrews for some reason.

Without looking at the stats, I feel like Hawkins is the one player that has had Andrew's number. Big game coming up for Harris.

It's all about how it comes in Zhesty. Three goals in that round 6 game. But only one till half time. The third quarter was a lesson in many ways. I'm sure we'll be better for the experience.

the problem is what do we do if Hawkins gets on top of Andrews again? This is where we need Adams because he was able to handle Hawkins far better than Andrews for some reason.

We'll be fine. Andrews is too good to let someone dominate him for large portions of the game. The other defenders will have to step up and help him out collectively.

We can't allow the entries to be isolated and straight to Hawkins v Andrews 1v1. Need to apply pressure on the ball carrier such that it always goes to a pack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eels in my stomach

don't know if the thrashing last night is good or bad for us. We certainly won't underestimate them, but Dangerfield and Hawkins scare me.

Hope the boys can come out and try their best :) will do me proud

If we're beating them at the coalface Danger won't be playing forward & Hawkins won't be seeing much of it, and if he is, it won't be lace out.

Edit: The lessons learned that we had to turn around to beat Richmond are far less than what we have to do to get over Geelong this week.

I think the Richmond/Geelong match earlier this season shows the impact that pressure has on the Geelong short kicking game. Geelong were +28 disposals and +38 marks, yet were -2 inside 50s, -7 marks inside 50 and -9 scoring shots. 68% of their possessions were in the defensive half (+12%) including 85% during the third quarter. Richmond closed down their space slowing the ball movement down, let Geelong play the possession game at half back and pounced on their mistakes. Then when they had it up forward, their forward pressure kept the ball locked in their forward half.

Grimes had a massive game too. Balta did a good job on Hawkins which allowed Grimes to play off first gamer Jarvis and help out Balta (basically what Lynch did with Chol).

Chasing a member code, will pay for it of course. PM me if you have one you canā€™t use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strangely I'm not afraid.

I feel confident in Fagan that we are a team that learns and implements change. We played Richmond and we learned that is what the master said then we beat them the next time up. Continual improvement is our ethos.

I have always been worried with bigger opposition midfielders going forward as they seem to cut us to ribbons - Cripps, Fyfe, Martin and Dangerfield. I think we have learned how to combat that now.

Definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over and hoping for a different outcome. We are far from an insane team.

Bring it on - and fingers cross I'll be there for the 3rd miracle on grass.

Last time Charlie played a prelim final against Geelong:

Selwood took two steps and rightly realised he had zero chance of catching him. Out of interest, 14 of the 22 that ran out for Geelong in that match will likely run out on Saturday too.

Played a decent game against them the last time we played them at the GABBA too.

Last time Charlie played a prelim final against Geelong:

Selwood took two steps and rightly realised he had zero chance of catching him. Out of interest, 14 of the 22 that ran out for Geelong in that match will likely run out on Saturday too.

Played a decent game against them the last time we played them at the GABBA too.

Charlie magic! Love eddies excitement for him

Different era I know, but there were double byes all the time under the old final 5 system. Mostly the team who got it went on to win the flag.

Wallace would have been playing then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back