AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish - Late out with calf tightness - 19/5

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there are two separate conversations to be had around Parish.

The first one is how does he rate as a footballer. I have him as a third tier mid, best 22 at most clubs but a support act and not the main man. For me he’s our 4th most important mid after Merrett, Durham and Caldwell.

If you agree with that (and some will not) then it begs the question of why did we give a 27 y.o. foot soldier a 6 year deal on very good coin? Which I think feeds into what you are calling out re ok not being enough.

I think these conversations conflate at times. I.e we remunerate him like a star and therefore expect him to play like one every week. But to me, he’s just not that guy.

So my thoughts are to assess him purely as footballer in this thread and forget about the deal. We should take that line of conversation to the list management thread and direct it at whomever at the club made the decision.

My two cents.
At his best he is AA and was close to that last night.

His contract isn't overs and I couldn't care less about IMO.

The first one is how does he rate as a footballer. I have him as a third tier mid, best 22 at most clubs but a support act and not the main man. For me he’s our 4th most important mid after Merrett, Durham and Caldwell.

If you agree with that (and some will not) then it begs the question of why did we give a 27 y.o. foot soldier a 6 year deal on very good coin? Which I think feeds into what you are calling out re ok not being enough.

I think these conversations conflate at times. I.e we remunerate him like a star and therefore expect him to play like one every week. But to me, he’s just not that guy.

So my thoughts are to assess him purely as footballer in this thread and forget about the deal. We should take that line of conversation to the list management thread and direct it at whomever at the club made the decision.

My two cents.

Kind of looks like goalposts being shifted a bit TBH. People have been bagging him as a player and now it is about the length of his contract (although I actually somewhat agree with you on this funny enough).

Caldwell and Durham are coming along beautifully but I don’t think they were in front of Parish last year when his contract was extended. Whilst it is great to see Durham and Caldwell playing well, I’m not convinced you’d have Caldwell in front of Parish just yet (not saying that he can’t/ won’t overtake him at some point on his current trajectory) but you could certainly mount a case for Durham who has exceeded everyone’s expectations. That said, I don’t think anyone could have predicted Durham’s rise this year.

Being able to argue over having depth in the midfield is bloody good!

Kind of looks like goalposts being shifted a bit TBH. People have been bagging him as a player and now it is about the length of his contract (although I actually somewhat agree with you on this funny enough).

Caldwell and Durham are coming along beautifully but I don’t think they were in front of Parish last year when his contract was extended. Whilst it is great to see Durham and Caldwell playing well, I’m not convinced you’d have Caldwell in front of Parish just yet (not saying that he can’t/ won’t overtake him at some point on his current trajectory) but you could certainly mount a case for Durham who has exceeded everyone’s expectations. That said, I don’t think anyone could have predicted Durham’s rise this year.

Being able to argue over having depth in the midfield is bloody good!
Can only speak for myself - have never written him off as a player but had huge issues with 6 years. Goal posts certainly haven’t shifted on my views.

My two cents.
He's on "very good coin" under the old salary cap.

Not the new one.

Can only speak for myself - have never written him off as a player but had huge issues with 6 years. Goal posts certainly haven’t shifted on my views.
Wouldn't read much into length of contracts. Seems the norm now to get players over the line. Look at Norton from the Dogs.

In reality, they can be broken by either party in a heartbeat.

Living rent free in your heads, I am.

From the first half I've seen he hit as many targets as he missed and had no physical impact, whatsoever.

If that's the standard that allows you all to keep telling yourselves he's a good player, I am happy for you.

Had to sign Parish to get McKay and Gresham.

Factor that in and his deal looks like very good value
We could have matched and forced a trade as well. That's a thing.

From the first half I've seen he hit as many targets as he missed and had no physical impact, whatsoever.

If that's the standard that allows you all to keep telling yourselves he's a good player, I am happy for you.
Happy Lets Go GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still tells any potential free agents that one of your best players doesn’t want to be there
Yes, because Zach Merrett and Jordan Ridley don't exist

Or is Parish living rent free in your head?

I think he's been down to start this season on what he is (how you value that is an entirely different conversation as to his actual form).
Last couple weeks he has started to get his touch back.

He was fumbly, didn't know where to go, missing handballs and missing tackles.
Each week he has largely cleaned up (yes there are still instances but all players have them) of each but his form is definitely on the up.

Last night I thought he was great. Durham stepping through traffic added a nice dynamic and as the space closed in, Parish's hands out of congestion kept our clearance game strong.

Just on his kicking,
There was a passage where we switched play and every single kick by our backmen was off target and behind the man. If we were playing a top side, their press would have got to us.
It eventually made it's way to Parish and he hit the kick down the line and I believe we scored off that attack.
He is prone to poor kicks and decisions as is every one of our players. Martin has some howlers, Perkins after a couple of great inside 50 kicks made some rubbish ones that not only were off target but he played so quickly we were killed on the rebound as we hadn't gotten set up.
These players don't get crucified like Parish does.

His form has been poor, it's improved to where it needs to be for him to contribute to this side. Because like it or not he is a part of this group for the next 5 seasons.

What he brings physically and skills wise is a separate debate and shouldn't bleed into how he's actually going on GameDay.
I'm one that did not want to sign him, and I personally believe his position could be improved, but I've accepted that this club does not think that.

He had a good game yesterday.

carn bruno. He was good last night mate.

Different animal when he actually kicks the thing.

Doesn’t actually have to kick lasers either, run 10 and hit a contest 50 metres away is completely fine by me if you get that ontop of the first possession and ground ball stuff he does in his sleep.

Fair enough. I think the length of the deal was the more contentious issue.
For sure.

And I don't like it at all but if you look around 5 years+ is becoming common practice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back