Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McCartin.jpg
Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked pretty genuine and caring to me, approached him twice.
It's a bit late to start caring.

I once heard an awful story about a lady who knocked down a child outside a school. She had swung her Toyota Landcruiser (Kiddy-Killer) up onto the curb to stop and quickly pick up her kids. She later claimed she was so busy looking for her kids and juggling a phone call while her baby screamed in the back that she just didn't see the child, who was in any case hidden by the long high bonnet.

She was horrified when she realised what the crowd of angry parents were screaming at her. For a while she just sat muttering apologies, too scared to open the window as others tried to reach the child under the car. The mob were kicking in the panels of the Landcruiser while she attempted to reverse it off the child. Funnily enough they didn't care that she looked genuinely caring. I can't say I blame them.

What small talent I have was not wasted on directing malice at Brown per se. I presented a parody of the AFL tribunal, mocking the increasingly bewildering and perpetually inconsistent verdicts which are delivered each week. In particular, I took aim at recent decisions where certain players were permitted to use good character as a defence while others were not.

I agree Brown is a good player but I can't be impressed with a player with such flippant disregard for the safety of another. I don't believe he acted with malice but he is far from blameless. His actions have seriously injured another player. Brown chose to bump. He knew the head is sancrosanct. He bumped knowing that such an action could lead to concussion and even the premature end of a player's career.

Brown appeared remorseful, much as a car driver would be after a lapse in concentration that led to him knocking over and badly injuring a pedestrian. Brown's carelessness put McCartin's future health in jeopardy. There is no excuse for Brown's actions. In a year where two players have already been forced into retirement due to concussion, it's a bad look for the AFL to go soft, especially given McCartin's record and the forced retirement of his brother last year.

I'm not happy that Brown got away with just three weeks. There's no guarantee his victim will get back to playing in three weeks.

Your talent is not small. You're actually quite brilliant. Would like to see you use your talents for good.

It's a bit late to start caring.

I once heard an awful story about a lady who knocked down a child outside a school. She had swung her Toyota Landcruiser (Kiddy-Killer) up onto the curb to stop and quickly pick up her kids. She later claimed she was so busy looking for her kids and juggling a phone call while her baby screamed in the back that she just didn't see the child, who was in any case hidden by the long high bonnet.

She was horrified when she realised what the crowd of angry parents were screaming at her. For a while she just sat muttering apologies, too scared to open the window as others tried to reach the child under the car. The mob were kicking in the panels of the Landcruiser while she attempted to reverse it off the child. Funnily enough they didn't care that she looked genuinely caring. I can't say I blame them.
Completely agree it's too late, but my original response was that at least he showed remorse, unlike Wright when he flattened Harry.
Unfortunately things happen, often ending badly and it's the reaction to the incident that defines character.
Someone called Brown a thug, I don't believe him to be, he made a bad call and seemed to be genuinely remorseful and will now pay the price.

Completely agree it's too late, but my original response was that at least he showed remorse, unlike Wright when he flattened Harry.
Unfortunately things happen, often ending badly and it's the reaction to the incident that defines character.
Someone called Brown a thug, I don't believe him to be, he made a bad call and seemed to be genuinely remorseful and will now pay the price.

I rewatch games when i have a break from a project going through the Essendon game and how lucky we were to get through that game with only Cunningham being the casualty.

Hope to hear some good news regarding Tommy today or through the week.

Live at the ground they were both flying towards that ball. I don’t think Brown went in with the intention to bump - I think he was trying to win the footy.

But Brown was always going to be second to it, and the rule is “if you elect to bump you’re responsible for the outcome”. Players probably need to rethink how they approach marginal contests like that.

Am I saying Brown shouldn’t have attacked the footy as hard as he could? Yes.

Live at the ground they were both flying towards that ball. I don’t think Brown went in with the intention to bump - I think he was trying to win the footy.

But Brown was always going to be second to it, and the rule is “if you elect to bump you’re responsible for the outcome”. Players probably need to rethink how they approach marginal contests like that.

Am I saying Brown shouldn’t have attacked the footy as hard as he could? Yes.

Ive seen so many players in that situation stop and try to apply a tackle.

It was freakin reckless and zero care of duty.

You're right of course Jewels. My response to you was a bit harsh. As a father of two boys (young men) it particularly affected me.

Your talent is not small. You're actually quite brilliant. Would like to see you use your talents for good.
Everyone has a point of view and is allowed to put that point of view forward. I have read plenty of points of view and they all have merit. I think in a lot of cases where bad happens, good can come out of it. Talking about it, analyzing it, judging it is good if people are rationally discussing it.

Don't rush for your own conclusion. Think about what other people are saying and take it in. And think about it again.

Everyone has a point of view and is allowed to put that point of view forward. I have read plenty of points of view and they all have merit. I think in a lot of cases where bad happens, good can come out of it. Talking about it, analyzing it, judging it is good if people are rationally discussing it.

Don't rush for your own conclusion. Think about what other people are saying and take it in. And think about it again.
Great advice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope to be proven wrong, but Horse's answer in the post match presser when asked how Tom was progressing didn't sound very reassuring. He was non-committal about Tom's chances of a return against Carlton and just said we'll have to wait and see how he progresses this week with the protocols.

Pretty sure that earlier in the week he sounded a lot more positive and said Tom was felt fine and was progressing well. Even straight after the game last week Horse sounded more positive about it. No such mention about that this time. Like i say, hope to be proven wrong and maybe reading too much into it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back