Player Watch #31: Oleg Markov

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon Oleg will surprise a few this season... looks primed, and sounds a lot more confident in him self than he has over previous seasons after the chat I had with him after open training last month.
Thing is that players like Oleg need to go past Houli and Grigg this year, now is the time to put their hand up and take those spots on the field in the seniors.

I don’t think Short’s spot is untouchable. It’s possible Markov is stronger defensively and reckon he can run out of backline and hoof a fair way as well.
Don’t reckon Kmacs position is untouchable either he had some very quiet games last year and depending on JLT performances that spot (wing) could be up for grabs

Don’t reckon Kmacs position is untouchable either he had some very quiet games last year and depending on JLT performances that spot (wing) could be up for grabs
What do you mean some it was a majority.

Outside of B Ellis who was dropped twice for obvious faults McIntosh gets away scott free but wait i suppose he plays to the game plan as well.

The worst of it is he butchers the ball more often than not that is when he gets his hands on it, and he fumbles more than any player in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oleg could take Broad's place in the backline.

Two very different players
Broad is similar to Grimes in the sense he can be used as a lockdown defender and able to hold his own against both talls and smalls

Where Markov is more of a line breaking half back or winger

Bachar & Grigg's ages are against them. I'd love it if they'd just retire. But Bachar did well in the intra club. Showed courage, skills and no signs of ageing. Stood under a high ball and marked in front of the pack. Short did well too I thought. And Markov & Ellis played alright too. Markov to wing vacated by Kmac/Grigg? We lose height if we do that. And Markov looks better in the backline. Just get 8 or 9 games into him rotating with Short, Houli & Vlas. Balta has to play and I'd prefer Balta on the wing. Rotating up the forward line. While Caddy & Grigg aren't playing.

What do you mean some it was a majority.

Outside of B Ellis who was dropped twice for obvious faults McIntosh gets away scott free but wait i suppose he plays to the game plan as well.

The worst of it is he butchers the ball more often than not that is when he gets his hands on it, and he fumbles more than any player in the comp.
Apart from the qualifying finals, KMac was poor for most of the year. Has great running capacity and is tough as nails, but is the dumbest footballer I have ever seen.
As for Markov (to keep the post on topic), I wouldn't be holding out high hopes that he will play many games this year.

Yeah like someone mentioned earlier think it's probably McIntosh who should be most worried about Markov. I've been a big fan of what McIntosh brings structure wise, he plays his role really well but if Oleg can get to that level with a little more polish on his disposal then yeah McIntosh would be getting nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I reckon Houli will pull the pin soon, he's getting on and has a lot going for him outside footy so there's Markov's spot if he earns it.
Balta takes McIntosh's spot.
Cannot see Houli pulling the pin before the year's out, unless seriously injured
Enjoys his footy too much and gets massive exposure for his outside interests...
Reckon it maybe his last playing year though..

Cannot see Houli pulling the pin before the year's out, unless seriously injured
Enjoys his footy too much and gets massive exposure for his outside interests...
Reckon it maybe his last playing year though..
Yeah that's what I mean. A few of these guys, Houli, Grigg etc will be looking at moving on, these 2nd tier blokes just need to bide their time, the spots will open up over the next few seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back