#31 Toby McMullin (Pick 34, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
toby-mcmullin-2-png.1564179

Position: Small forward/midfielder
Height: 182cm
Weight: 83kg
D.O.B: 06-08-2004
Teams: Victoria Country, Sandringham Dragons

SNAPSHOT: “Toby McMullin is an athletic forward-midfielder who has some explosive elements to match his clean skills and defensive pressure”

STRENGTHS:
  • Dual-sided
  • Work rate
  • Defensive pressure
  • Explosive speed
  • Composure
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Production
  • Endurance
Already one of the AFL Draft crop’s top improvers in season 2022, Toby McMullin is a talent who has further scope for improvement going forward. Only joining the Sandringham Dragons for the first time this year, the forward-midfielder who was particularly prolific for Melbourne Grammar in the APS, is not a massive ball-winner, but makes the most of it when he does have it.

He is a neat player who ticks a lot of boxes when it comes to overall profile. Having performed across multiple teams and leagues and played a mixture of forward and midfield, the Dragons utility prides himself on both his skills and explosive speed. Though he does not always show that explosive speed in-game consistently, McMullin has the potential to do a lot of damage at the stoppages, clocking up a blistering 2.88-second 20m sprint at the recent National Draft Combine.

McMullin admits he still has to work on his endurance, having played "catch-up" with his Dragons teammates over the Summer and the course of the 2022 NAB League season. Along with his endurance, McMullin's production could certainly improve, with his stats across both the NAB League and AFL Under 18 Championships hardly setting the world on fire. For the Dragons, McMullin averaged 11.1 disposals, 2.4 marks, 1.6 tackles and booted three goals across his seven games, while for Vic Country, the forward picked up 8.0 disposals, 2.0 marks, 2.0 tackles and 3.0 inside 50s, while booting the two goals in his three outings.

Though not always rewarded for his tackling, McMullin is a player lauded for his defensive pressure and intent, so even if a physical tackle does not stick, his quick bursts put pressure on opponents to turn the ball over. Outside of his three-goal haul for Vic Country in the trial match against Vic Metro, McMullin has not been able to do a lot of damage on the scoreboard, but has still been able to hold his spot for the Dragons, and provide a critical defensive presence both inside 50, on a wing, or when rotating through the stoppages alongside some highly touted names.

Those areas of improvement go hand-in-hand, and McMullin's value to a team far outweighs his visible statistics. The Dragons and Country forward-midfielder is clean by hand or foot on both sides of his body, and it makes him more difficult to predict. He has composure with ball-in-hand and a high work rate, which allows him to make use of those traits. Though his endurance needs to improve to have a consistent impact on games, which McMullin conceded were "difficult" at times, he has the athletic capacity to be a longer-term prospect for a club willing to take him on. His neat skills on both sides of his body are reliable and with his dedicated attitude, is exactly what clubs look for in a balanced forward-midfielder.

McMullin.png
Toby hasn't debuted in season 2023 (yet), but has been extended for an additional two years (until 2026):

Positive momentum continues to build at the GIANTS with young duo Toby McMullin and Wade Derksen committing to the club for a further two years.

McMullin, the number 34 pick in last year’s NAB AFL Draft, will remain a GIANT until at least the end of the 2026 season after adding a further two years to his current contract. GIANTS General Manager of Football, Jason McCartney, said the duo’s new contracts were reward for effort after strong VFL seasons.

“It’s great to be able to reward Toby and Wade with two-year contract extensions,” McCartney said. “Toby has come in eager to learn and has played a variety of roles, starting off as a small pressure forward and then working his way into the midfield." McMullin’s re-signing comes on the back of an impressive run of form in the VFL this season as the medium-sized forward and midfielder continues to press his claims for a senior debut.

A star for the 2022 NAB League premiers the Sandringham Dragons, McMullin was thrilled to be a GIANT for at least three more seasons. “It was a very easy decision to stay at the club, so I’m rapt and really excited with getting two more years,” said McMullin, who recently turned 19. “It’s such a welcoming and inclusive place and I’ve had no issues slotting in and so far, I’ve absolutely loved it. Then on field it’s great to see the club is tracking in a really great direction so it’s all been great, and I’m stoked to be part of it.”

View attachment 1769161
Toby hasn't debuted in season 2023 (yet), but has been extended for an additional two years (until 2026):

Positive momentum continues to build at the GIANTS with young duo Toby McMullin and Wade Derksen committing to the club for a further two years.

McMullin, the number 34 pick in last year’s NAB AFL Draft, will remain a GIANT until at least the end of the 2026 season after adding a further two years to his current contract. GIANTS General Manager of Football, Jason McCartney, said the duo’s new contracts were reward for effort after strong VFL seasons.

“It’s great to be able to reward Toby and Wade with two-year contract extensions,” McCartney said. “Toby has come in eager to learn and has played a variety of roles, starting off as a small pressure forward and then working his way into the midfield." McMullin’s re-signing comes on the back of an impressive run of form in the VFL this season as the medium-sized forward and midfielder continues to press his claims for a senior debut.

A star for the 2022 NAB League premiers the Sandringham Dragons, McMullin was thrilled to be a GIANT for at least three more seasons. “It was a very easy decision to stay at the club, so I’m rapt and really excited with getting two more years,” said McMullin, who recently turned 19. “It’s such a welcoming and inclusive place and I’ve had no issues slotting in and so far, I’ve absolutely loved it. Then on field it’s great to see the club is tracking in a really great direction so it’s all been great, and I’m stoked to be part of it.”
Maybe he debuts this weekend?
I suspect Riccardi is gone???

And just like that ... if you know, you know ...

that "Muff" (aka Toby McMullin) will debut in round 22, 2023:

Energetic GIANTS draftee Toby McMullin will make his AFL debut in Sunday’s match against the Power at Adelaide Oval.

McMullin, selected at pick 34 in last year’s NAB AFL Draft, enters Adam Kingsley’s side after a string of impressive VFL performances as both a pressure forward and as a midfielder.

A powerful 183cm athlete, McMullin recorded the second fastest 20m sprint (2.88sec) at last year’s National Draft Combine while also finishing inside the top 10 for both the agility test and the running vertical jump. The 19-year-old, who becomes the GIANTS’ fifth debutant this season, was a key contributor for last year’s NAB League premier Sandringham Dragons and is seen as a like-for-like replacement for suspended small forward duo Toby Bedford and Brett Daniels.

Affectionately known as ‘Muff’ at the club, McMullin was on cloud nine after being informed of his debut selection by skipper Toby Greene at GIANTS’ training on Friday. “It's a real sense of excitement and a bit of relief as well,” he said. "But I’m over the moon and that excited to get out there.” The selection news adds to an already exciting week for the Victorian teenager who signed a two-year contract extension earlier this week to remain at the club until at least the end of the 2026 season.

Debuting against the Power in a crucial clash for the GIANTS’ finals aspirations, McMullin said his focus was on playing his role to the best of his ability. “I’ll try and bring my defensive pressure as much as I can,” he said. “Then on offense, use my power and speed and hopefully hit a few targets is the aim. There’s obviously a fair build up but I’m so excited to get out there.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back