The Dingrel

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
He is basically a Matthew Lloyd style full forward.
In that position he would be a reliable 50 goal plus player.
He is simply played out of position and with good reason as we have Brown.
Well, in that case, second half of 2019 we should have been playing him there to build up his trade value.

ferball

Premium Platinum
Jul 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The unknown factor for mine, if Mason can finally contribute consistently, then our forward line of Brown, Larkey, Wood, Zurhaar and Thomas will scare the crap out of the top teams.
Plus Ziebell and then Higgo and Cunners potentially rotating foward. Skilled, hard bastard, medium forwards are the way of the future.

giantroo

Bleeding Blue and White
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Chicago Bulls
Can add further to well worded training notes above...

* Wood is trialling as a back man, is doing ok as well. We're really going to try and run the fu** out of our defence and deliver low bullet like passes to those further up the ground. No " hang time" is the call and yes we are practising this regularly.
Hopefully this works for Mase.

the Ziebull

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Adds even more versatility will be able to play anywhere on the ground which will be handy in game if we want to exploit matchups either end

Pykie

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Hopefully this works for Mase.
I think it's a great move.

It's not his skill set, his workrate, athleticism etc that's the problem.

He just doesn't get the right spots consistently enough and doesn't get enough of the ball.

Following an opponent in and not behing manned up and recieving a a lot more loose ball could literally unlock him as a player.

He's a terrific field kick and a great size for a half back.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Interesting Move, with the exception of Jmac our defensive unit is full of hard nuts, Wood doesn't really fit the bill, but worth a crack i think.

Kimbo

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Strength over the ball is a query.

He has the rest of the traits to play defence.
He goes okay when he chooses to go. It's the mental application, not the strength per se, that's the issue imo.

Simplifying things in defence might work for him, where defensive application becomes his job, not the option he might have seen it as.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kimbo

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
I'm not referring to courage.

Strong over the ball as in his ability to hold body position in fairly stationary contest.
I know. And I'm saying I think it seems this way when his commitment to go is "iffy." (Not about 'courage.') When he chooses to go, he looks strong enough.

But you may be talking about marking contests? I'm referring to contested ground ball scenarios.

Last edited:

BigBadByron

Team Captain
Nov 28, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know. And I'm saying I think it seems this way when his commitment to go is "iffy." (Not even courage.) When he chooses to go, he looks strong enough.

But you may be talking about marking contests? I'm referring to contested ground ball scenarios.
He has a new opportunity under Shaw.

He needs to and should go harder. No argument from me.

What annoys me it seems to apply to some and not others?

Higgins and especially Polec are as soft as. In fact Polec is completely pathetic at times. (Higgins i like, don't get me wrong)

But that is ok as midfielders. (apparently)

Yes silky etc but why does Wood cop so much heat?

Yes he is bigger but bloody hell, he can't get cheap touches in his role unlike others.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He has a new opportunity under Shaw.

He needs to and should go harder. No argument from me.

What annoys me it seems to apply to some and not others?

Higgins and especially Polec are as soft as. In fact Polec is completely pathetic at times. (Higgins i like, don't get me wrong)

But that is ok as midfielders. (apparently)

Yes silky etc but why does Wood cop so much heat?

Yes he is bigger but bloody hell, he can't get cheap touches in his role unlike others.
make all the comparisons between wood and polec you like, heres another,

wood goes missing for massive patches in a game, polec seldom has touchless quarters.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's a terrific field kick and a great size for a half back.
Is he though? He certainly has a nice looking kick, but my impression is that he routinely butchers the ball when he has time and space, particularly on the run. Would love to see disposal efficiency stats and clangers, as I reckon he'd be up there in the latter.

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
Apr 24, 2013
inside your head
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Is he though? He certainly has a nice looking kick, but my impression is that he routinely butchers the ball when he has time and space, particularly on the run. Would love to see disposal efficiency stats and clangers, as I reckon he'd be up there in the latter.
He's more than adequate relative to our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Bottom