Player Watch #34: Jackson Archer

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt, but it's not as if he came in as a great runner. He worked his arse off to get the most out of his body. To be clear, that wasn't a dig at Kayne. He is a Shinboner through and through. Im just saying that I don't see why Archer, who has a very similar sort of athletic profile and might even be a better kick, couldn't carve out a career at this level too as a nuggety, negating back pocket. Teams still need those types, and I honestly reckon that, yes, it's a role that does need some speed, but you can absolutely get away with not being the fastest if you're really smart with your angles and stick to the task. Guys like Nick Smith and Corey Enright were never the fastest or most athletic, but regularly annihilated small forwards by consistently being smarter than them.
Agree.

If JA has a decent footy IQ and coupled with his dads will to win attitude, then he's half way there..

The other half is commitment to training and gaining experience in the position (which includes copping a towelling up or two) along the way.

Where's this one going to rank on the list of utterly baffling list management decisions when all is said and done? Because at this stage it does seem as though it's a straight up nepotism hire.

In a position we are stacked for and already have slow players who can't kick (Turner, Bosenavulagi, etc), recruiting him over someone who could reach the top shelf at Coles seems like an oversight

He can't get the footy, he isn't quick, he can't kick, he tries like a maniac, he doesn't appear to have any other strings to his bow. I've written that about another player on list before, but I guess that one ended up in our leadership group getting 10 touches & zero tackles a game as a defensive forward, so * me right, what do I know

Where's this one going to rank on the list of utterly baffling list management decisions when all is said and done? Because at this stage it does seem as though it's a straight up nepotism hire.

In a position we are stacked for and already have slow players who can't kick (Turner, Bosenavulagi, etc), recruiting him over someone who could reach the top shelf at Coles seems like an oversight

He can't get the footy, he isn't quick, he can't kick, he tries like a maniac, he doesn't appear to have any other strings to his bow. I've written that about another player on list before, but I guess that one ended up in our leadership group getting 10 touches & zero tackles a game as a defensive forward, so fu** me right, what do I know
Sits pretty comfortably in the Top 10 right now.

He can't get the footy, he isn't quick, he can't kick, he tries like a maniac, he doesn't appear to have any other strings to his bow. I've written that about another player on list before, but I guess that one ended up in our leadership group getting 10 touches & zero tackles a game as a defensive forward, so fu** me right, what do I know
I’d love to know what bonuses some of the senior players have in their contracts..
because if they were performance based, I doubt we reach the tpp..

Last edited:
His selection was part of the Kayne Turner succession plan.

Should never have been taken with a National draft pick. Should’ve been taken with a rookie pick considering his output at NAB league level.

On another note his development would’ve been impacted by 2 covid years so I’m willing to bid my time before pulling the trigger on judgement.

In saying that though, he has 18 months to make every post a winner.

Smells like his dad put on pressure to draft him

I’m hearing whispers he will be making his debut today and there will be a late out!

My mail is Glenn is either on his way up or there already!

Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I knew that doubling his disposal count from 3 to 6 last week would get him over the line.

He’s had 37 possessions for the year, I’m not sure how they can justify playing him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew that doubling his disposal count from 3 to 6 last week would get him over the line.

He’s had 37 possessions for the year, I’m not sure how they can justify playing him.
Maybe they already know he's gone and feel a run out in his dad's colours once is worth the feels...

Maybe he's foxing and is a cross between his dad and JJ at his best.

Will replace Turner with possession counts like that.

I was just gonna say, we need effective possessions stat for this to be a real contest.

I would even consider the idea of taking 1-2 possessions a game less from Archer if he were able to move the ball on 1 or 2 seconds quicker in a possession chain with some penetration to the kick. Do we know if young Archer can kick more than 29m sideways or up in the air on top of a players head giving the opposition absolute maximum time to spoil!? Do we have comparative stats?

I was just gonna say, we need effective possessions stat for this to be a real contest.

I would even consider the idea of taking 1-2 possessions a game less from Archer if he were able to move the ball on 1 or 2 seconds quicker in a possession chain with some penetration to the kick. Do we know if young Archer can kick more than 29m sideways or up in the air on top of a players head giving the opposition absolute maximum time to spoil!? Do we have comparative stats?
Going out on a limb - I suspect they don't keep stats on this. :)

Not sure if it was his Dad, but I have heard that the start of the list management fallout started with the decision to draft him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We will probably never get a straight answer but there are a whole heap of issues around these kind of draftings. Really need massive separation between list management, board members, even ex team mates might be potentially compromised in decision making. If it was an ethical commercial world these parties would be recusing themselves from any and all discussion and making it clear they have zero skin in the game.

Going out on a limb - I suspect they don't keep stats on this. :)

We will probably never get a straight answer but there are a whole heap of issues around these kind of draftings. Really need massive separation between list management, board members, even ex team mates might be potentially compromised in decision making. If it was an ethical commercial world these parties would be recusing themselves from any and all discussion and making it clear they have zero skin in the game.
Didn't Glenn Archer leave last year well before the draft for that reason?

Did we seriously only pick him up as a favour to Glenn? Like what was the point of wasting a pick on someone who the club and apparently this board knows is never going to be AFL level.

I don’t think I’ve seen the board so dour on a player ever, which baffles me why he’s on the list if this is all true. I haven’t seen the kid play but going by reports of what’s been said we’ve compromised a rebuild worthy pick on a favour?

Didn't Glenn Archer leave last year well before the draft for that reason?
Not sure, I think unrelated.

Just to be clear I'm not implying anything or jumping on the scuttlebutt. Not accusing anyone of not acting with integrity - just pointing out that it needs to be considered and is more of an issue with clubs, emotion and names.
Gee some people need to get a grip. What shred of evidence is there to support the claim Archer pressured the club into drafting his son. The Shinboner of The Century deserves more respect than that
Absolutely agree. To be clear though it doesn't have to be Glenn leaning on the club for them to make a pressured decision (not saying they did either, just a hypothetical).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back