Delisted #34: Jake Long - Delisted - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what to think of yesterday's game. Did some good things but was not damaging. Last year his biggest improvement was to take the game on, get more involved and generally be involved for longer periods. Yesterday he looked like he was trying to play an extra number at the contest or was just lost. With his pace he should be running past more often. Played wing all day but hardly ran past a contest. If he is to make it he has to be burning up the field, taking a bounce, stepping a player and kicking Long into the forward line. Can not see him making it as a flat footed handball target around the contest.

He's just not that good unfortunately. Lovely kid, good athlete, serviceable footballer at vfl level, but that's about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear the kid has put two consistent weeks of football together. Another fortnight and he should come into senior calculations.

Saw him last week (VFL dreamtime game) and he looked ok. Appeared to cover the ground well and had a high work rate up and down the ground.

Had previously lacked a high two way power running game (hence being stuck on a flank) but its encouraging to see/hear the fitness base is up to exploit him on a wing.

Was skeptical a month ago, even calling for his head post season .

If he keeps building and puts a few good games together at the back end of the season then who knows what 2018 could hold.

Good to hear the kid has put two consistent weeks of football together. Another fortnight and he should come into senior calculations.

Saw him last week (VFL dreamtime game) and he looked ok. Appeared to cover the ground well and had a high work rate up and down the ground.

Had previously lacked a high two way power running game (hence being stuck on a flank) but its encouraging to see/hear the fitness base is up to exploit him on a wing.

If he keeps building and puts a few good games together at the back end of the season then who knows what 2018 could hold.
I hope not, if only because that means a long term injury to someone else.

I think he's had more than 20 possies 3 weeks in a row now.

Don't think he's done that before

Well, the club obviously doesn't consider him to be AFL standard yet anyway, but they have said they'll be patient with him. I thought when he had the ball he looked evasive and disposed of the ball well enough when he was in the seniors towards the end of last year. I take your point though that he needs to find more of it. His skills and disposal in traffic were promising though, and if I think of the competence of the Dogs fleet of attacking smalls and mediums, I'd hope that Jake can develop into that depth player.

On Colyer's speed as an elite trait, how do you differentiate between his and Lauchlan Dalgleish's speed? Shouldn't Dalgleish have been given the same time to develop that Colyer was given?

Coylers is quick but i wouldn't call him elite.

Or we could retire off one of the guys who is less likely to improve us going forward

Who exactly? Players need to agree to retirement. There's only really three senior players who would be on the block in a situation like that and it would be a knife in the back to force them out like that. It would be the worst possible way to send off a dedicated servant of the club who has just been put through four years of hell.

Who exactly? Players need to agree to retirement. There's only really three senior players who would be on the block in a situation like that and it would be a knife in the back to force them out like that. It would be the worst possible way to send off a dedicated servant of the club who has just been put through four years of hell.
Rather than glamorously plugging away in the twos which they could probably do anyway.

Or we could retire off one of the guys who is less likely to improve us going forward
Are they allowed to do that? I'm pretty sure rookies can only be upgraded in lieu of players with a long term injury, or under the start-of-year/mid-year upgrade rules. We had a full senior list this year though and I don't think a retirement counts as making a space, so we can't use a mid-year upgrade.

Are they allowed to do that? I'm pretty sure rookies can only be upgraded in lieu of players with a long term injury, or under the start-of-year/mid-year upgrade rules. We had a full senior list this year though and I don't think a retirement counts as making a space, so we can't use a mid-year upgrade.
Moorcroft-grenvold

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that's meant to be a precedent, it's a mighty old one and probably not particularly relevant given how much the rules have changed since.
Dunno if grenvold stayed on in the twos to be perfectly honest. But point i was driving is asada has already extinguished some careers and set us back. If keeping the reunion tour on our senior list is hindering the development of our younger players then we are choosing to let the asada impact us for longer than it should.

Well he's in a pretty good position in the next few weeks being the only player we have in reserve that can provide us with outside run and who could be said to be in form.

I don't expect Colyer to be dropped but he's going to have to dramatically improve on his last month.

Dunno if grenvold stayed on in the twos to be perfectly honest. But point i was driving is asada has already extinguished some careers and set us back. If keeping the reunion tour on our senior list is hindering the development of our younger players then we are choosing to let the asada impact us for longer than it should.
Ah right. I don't think they're holding any of the rookies back by not retiring, as that isn't how the rules work. If they were getting games ahead of kids when the kids have earned the spot at least as much as the senior player had, then yeah I'd agree. I don't think that's the case though. I think players that are retiring imminently that are still getting games are doing so for the benefit of the team as a whole.

There were better and more high profile performances against Preston today which will overshadow Long's game but I thought he was really solid.

Took three really strong marks, competed well, tackled, and used the ball well. He can make time stand still while he is working out what to do.

Unfortunately time is running out but if he can do that for the rest of the year he is definitely worth persisting with.

in all honesty I'd upgrade him, I think his development curve has been commensurate with what we were hoping for from him and he's an upgrade on a Colyer type outside run and carry role player.

One year deal is a no brainer in my eyes

There were better and more high profile performances against Preston today which will overshadow Long's game but I thought he was really solid.

Took three really strong marks, competed well, tackled, and used the ball well. He can make time stand still while he is working out what to do.

Unfortunately time is running out but if he can do that for the rest of the year he is definitely worth persisting with.

Was a much more impressive outing today than he has shown. Still in our bottom 8 - 10 on our list but as Zac mentioned, his curve (when fit) has been better than most others.

circumstances have basically forced his career backwards. colyer has done nothing this year that jake couldn't have, with none of the upside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back