Senior 35. Billy Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of us get seduced by highlight packages. Cooper's highlights were awesome and I admit to some disappointment when I heard we picked Billy and that Cooper went at the very next pick. I have no basis for feeling like this other than a highlights package.

Our recruiting team have put a mountain of time and effort in deciding who they want at a certain pick so if they have decided Billy is the better option all we can do is back them in and it's now up to the club to ensure Billy has the greatest chance at success. Curly Junior was a big wrap for him and I was pleased to hear that Billy will be training with the mids. He could turn out to be a valuable addition. Go well Billy, especially against the Bummers.

Most of us get seduced by highlight packages. Cooper's highlights were awesome and I admit to some disappointment when I heard we picked Billy and that Cooper went at the very next pick. I have no basis for feeling like this other than a highlights package.

Our recruiting team have put a mountain of time and effort in deciding who they want at a certain pick so if they have decided Billy is the better option all we can do is back them in and it's now up to the club to ensure Billy has the greatest chance at success. Curly Junior was a big wrap for him and I was pleased to hear that Billy will be training with the mids. He could turn out to be a valuable addition. Go well Billy, especially against the Bummers.

Good point on highlights packages. If you were try work out who our best player was based on 2 minutes highlights you would probably think it was David Cunningham. Him or Charlie but his would definately be better then Walsh or Cerra.

Simpson is 181cm, he's not fast (by AFL midfield standards), and his kicking is Judd-esque (and not in a good way). He's not really a ball accumulator either. His best attribute is that he kicks goals out of the midfield, but even then he's not getting to 1 per game in juniors while only getting 21 disopsals. I honestly don't really see a path to him being a successful footballer. Who does he emulate? Does he even have a path to getting 'on the field' in the short term?

I'm really happy with Billy the Kid. What I love from the highlights is that he uses his speed to create space so that he can use the ball well. He's not a blind runner, but someone who likes to get to the outside and create. He gets on the field in his first couple of years as a general defender, and at a minimum that's a useful pick 34.

Good point on highlights packages. If you were try work out who our best player was based on 2 minutes highlights you would probably think it was David Cunningham. Him or Charlie but his would definately be better then Walsh or Cerra.

Exactly. You could look at it from the other way too, for example with Acres. His highlights package would be among the barest at the club (well, excluding the two finals) with plenty of OOF's to go with it, but he was a major reason for our improvement this season. The recruiting team have access to far more information about draft prospects than we do, I'm going to trust their judgement more than random BF posters.

Simpson is 181cm, he's not fast (by AFL midfield standards), and his kicking is Judd-esque (and not in a good way). He's not really a ball accumulator either. His best attribute is that he kicks goals out of the midfield, but even then he's not getting to 1 per game in juniors while only getting 21 disopsals. I honestly don't really see a path to him being a successful footballer. Who does he emulate? Does he even have a path to getting 'on the field' in the short term?

I'm really happy with Billy the Kid. What I love from the highlights is that he uses his speed to create space so that he can use the ball well. He's not a blind runner, but someone who likes to get to the outside and create. He gets on the field in his first couple of years as a general defender, and at a minimum that's a useful pick 34.
Yeah, he seems like an astute choice and potentially a two position player. Be awesome if he could provide a point of difference to our midfield next year.

Yeah, he seems like an astute choice and potentially a two position player. Be awesome if he could provide a point of difference to our midfield next year.

He reminds me a bit of Tommy Alvin. Same height and not far off the build too.

Alvin had that capacity to play straight half back, as an attacking or defensive wing, or even tag in the midfield. Both don't appear the cleanest interior players but pretty goof when able to get into space, and both share the long flowing locks

I'm pretty sure number 31 is free and would fit perfectly on his back imo!

Alvin had that capacity to play straight half back, as an attacking or defensive wing, or even tag in the midfield. Both don't appear the cleanest interior players but pretty goof when able to get into space, and both share the long flowing locks

#31 Lemmey

Tommy was a good runner but Billy looks a bit quicker than Tom. Let's hope Billy can become a premiership player like Tommy.

We’re due a diamond in the rough draft selection - be great if Billy proved to be such.

:thumbsu:
Ye totally..
At that age group nobody knows how the wheels might turn down the track....
Instinctively these selectors are wise.....they just have to be so careful what they take
Since Voss and Austin began....have seen mainly workers selected plus a bias to curb the pre existing Bunch back into a worker related mould....i.e work them hard,and I would say thats mainly all...regardless,just focus and execute

Sounds easy!!

it's a quandary, you follow a club all your life, have a child that gets picked up by not just another club but the hated arch-enemy - I understand your children come before your footy club (pretty sure) but how would you go dropping your 20, 30, 40 year support to switch teams and follow your child's dream? take it underground? haven't read of parents who continue to follow their old club in these situations but reckon they might be out there..........

I will (sadly) never have any children (last bloke in the world who should have kids) but if I did, i suspect my love and trust in any potential off spring would come first before any lifelong and passionate club affiliation.

My beautiful Mum did and went above and beyond to give me and my brother the best and most positive childhood and upbringing that she could possibly humanely do as a single parent, if I had a kid, I would do my best to try and show the same kind of unwavering and unconditional support and dedication my mother gave me.

In an ideal world, if I had a son or daughter, they would be drafted to GWS or GCS, so I could legitimately have two teams to support:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was Billy, the first person I'd be sending a Xmas card to would be big Mirk.

He'll be developing his craft in the VFL next year, and there's not too many ruckmen at that level who can put the ball down the throat of his mids than the big fella...just ask the player formerly known as Paddy Dow who got gold class service over the past few years.

If I was Billy, the first person I'd be sending a Xmas card to would be big Mirk.

He'll be developing his craft in the VFL next year, and there's not too many ruckmen at that level who can put the ball down the throat of his mids than the big fella...just ask the player formerly known as Paddy Dow who got gold class service over the past few years.
never should have tra...............ah, fuhgeddaboudit............

Remove this Banner Ad

Back