HOMBSCH%20Jack.png

Height: 193 cm

Weight: 89 kg

Date of Birth: 7th March 1993

Nickname: Homma

Twitter Handle:
jackhombsch36

Position: Key Defender

Recruited From: Greater Western Sydney (2012 Trade Period, Jack Hombsch and Jake Neade in exchange for Pick #29)

Other AFL Clubs: Greater Western Sydney (2012, 9 games, 0 goals)

Career Games (to end of 2015): 61 (30 wins, 31 losses)

Career Goals (to end of 2015): 0

For more career stats click here.

Honours:
  • 2013, 2016, 2017 PAFC John McCarthy Award (Community Service)
  • 2015 PAFC 3rd B&F
More info on Jack Hombsch:
Jack had a mixed year in 2015. He started the season in strong form and was being talked up as a potential All Australian by supporters and even some in the media. Unfortunately, his form was patchy mid season, ranging from the highs of blanketing Travis Cloke to the lows of being well beaten by Lachie Henderson. His form did improve with the team’s late in the season and, as a player of relative youth and inexperience, he will be hoping to continue his improvement into 2016.

Highlight Reel:

Last edited:

Jack goes back to Roxby Downs

“I remember when I was in year six in primary school, Port Adelaide came up and spent some time in town.

“It was just the best thing and it got everyone excited because it wasn’t normal to see AFL footballers in Roxby.

“To go back as a Port Adelaide player myself was really cool, and it was great to make a bit of a contribution to the students there today.”

Hombsch likely to debut

PORT Adelaide is likely to bolster its ailing defence by giving Jack Hombsch his first game for the club since crossing from Greater Western Sydney last season.
The 20-year-old had been on track to play in round one for the Power but an injury late in pre-season meant he had only recently been able to reach the standard needed to make his senior Power debut.

"We need a little bit more height down back and Jack at 193cm certainly provides us with that," said Hinkley.

Hombsch determined to succeed

He collected 22 disposals in his first appearance in Power colours and was one of the club's best in its disappointing nine-point loss to the Bulldogs.
On Monday, Hombsch insisted he didn't hold a grudge towards his former team, saying he still had great friends at the Giants.
"Towards the end of last year and I was at home in the off season and we were ready to go back for the pre-season and it just came up that I probably wouldn't get too many senior opportunities with the Giants," Hombsch said

------------------------------------------

"Being a young player, you can sort of coast through your first two or three years and I got a bit of a shock pretty early I guess," he said.
"It did kick me into gear a bit, it makes you think 'it's a business, footy, and it's pretty ruthless sometimes'.
"Coming here (Port Adelaide) I knew I had to do everything I can because it gives you a bit of a shock sometimes."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hombsch played very well against the bulldogs. hopefully he plays very well against the Giants (he would have a point to prove against the Giants who think he is too small ...

Go Hombsch ....

This article belongs in this thread and the Media shakes head thread - whoever the subby is should know Broken Hill is not a suburb of Roxby Downs.

link
Port Adelaide player Jack Hombsch was plucked from obscurity in Broken Hill

When then Sturt football manager Duane Massey led a five-man contingent to run a junior football clinic in Roxby Downs six years ago, he didn't expect to uncover his own gem in the Far North mining town.
After all, there were only about 35 junior footballers that he could cast his recruiting eye over.
But then this tall, lanky kid named Jack Hombsch caught his attention.
"He could seriously mark and kick, and he had nice balance," Massey recalled.
"When I called him over for a chat, I quickly realised he was a ripper kid too and I thought to myself `we might have a player here'."
Massey invited a 14-year-old Hombsch to play for Sturt in an under-15s carnival.
Within two years, the athletic Hombsch had moved to Adelaide to play with the Double Blues, was boarding at Rostrevor College and was representing South Australia at under-16 level.
link

I can see Jack playing CHB sooner rather than later.

That would mean trengove and Carlile's can focus on being "stoppers" at FB and back pocket.

Jack seems to have great mobility for a big man and seems closer to 194cm than his quoted 192cm.

Jack Hombsch is muscling up to hold down a key defensive role.

Jack attack

JACK Hombsch has added the muscle needed to become a genuine AFL key defender and put his hand up to replace injured Power teammate Jackson Trengove.

448407-7cc1d690-86e4-11e3-92e1-07d47f226b83.jpg

Hombsch played most of last season at 88kgs - too light to wrestle with the true power forwards of the AFL.
While he was still a viable option as a third tall defender - particularly because of his offensive capabilities - the Power appears to have decided they'd prefer him to be capable of backing up key bigs Alipate Carlile and Trengove when required.
Jack attack

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-02-26/young-defenders-stepping-up

TIME in the deep end has worked wonders for the development of Port Adelaide's Jack Hombsch and Tom Clurey, who have led the side's defence in the absence of Alipate Carlile and Jackson Trengove.

Clurey took 11 marks and collected 14 disposals against the Bombers, while Hombsch also managed 14 touches as well as a game-high 10 one per centers.

"Playing these last few games has put us in the deep end a little bit … and when they come back in it's just a good learning curve for us and hopefully when we need to step up we'll be able to," Hombsch said.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-03-16/round-1-player-reviews
Macca19's Top 5 - Jack Hombsch
Waite got away from him for a 10 minute period but that was it. That was a superb defensive game by Hombsch. Waite has been a trouble player in the past and he was able to keep him completely out of the game at crucial times. So many times you could sense Waite about to do something, but then it never happened as Hombsch was there with the spoil. Thought he was excellent with the ball as well. Brilliant game and certainly a player of the future.

Waite got away for longer than ten minutes. For most of the third quarter he was the Carlton danger man up forward. As we took control of the ball out of the centre in the last quarter the opportunities for Waite evaporated and Hombsch's task was made easier.

Hombsch has to learn to block an opponents run at the ball, there were times when Hombsch did not position himself between Waite and the pack and allowed Waite the jump. It is one thing to rebound but a defender also has to check his opponent. Hombsch is young and inexperienced but he will learn as he goes and be a good defender for us.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-03-29/port-adelaide-showdown-report-MA
But his performance masked otherwise strong last-line defending from the Power, particularly the reliable Jack Hombsch, who acquitted himself with aplomb all afternoon.

portadelaidefc.com.au's best
Hartlett, Ebert, Polec, Cornes, Broadbent, Hombsch, Wingard, Gray, Monfries

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-03-30/player-reviews-round-2
Macca19’s best young player
Jack Hombsch

Good work on Johnston. I wonder if we will ever see Hombsch turn into a Chad Cornes style midfielder. I reckon he can. So strong over the ball and I absolutely adore how he can deliver the ball running at full tilt with a player on his hammer. Almost the best pressure kick in our side. Great performance. Must be a lock in our side now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back