Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

1454318147691_03080803_MPX_5064851_hd720.jpg

Joel Amartey
Joel Amartey has shown strong form in the ruck and as a key-position player at both ends of the ground since being drafted to the Sydney Swans as a rookie ahead of season 2018. The Ghanaian-Australian produced arguably his best performance of the 2019 season against Sydney University in Round 6, which saw him collect 42 hit-outs and a goal. In season 2020, he made his AFL debut against Brisbane Lions in Round 17 after producing some strong individual performances in scrimmage matches, and impressed with eight hit-outs and two inside 50.

Joel Amartey
DOB: 02 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #28, 2017 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Gram (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Wow, really brings a new dimension to the side if he can improve on his impressive 21 debut. Thought he was 24 and last chance saloon but only 21 and injury hampered career ( which a lot of young cygnets have ) shows that if all these young immature bodies grow ( and they will ) 2023 looks very bight indeed.

Wow, really brings a new dimension to the side if he can improve on his impressive 21 debut. Thought he was 24 and last chance saloon but only 21 and injury hampered career ( which a lot of young cygnets have ) shows that if all these young immature bodies grow ( and they will ) 2023 looks very bight indeed.
Welcome Kumarangk to the BF Swans family.

So many of you knocked this bloke on a half a game where he got injured. Shame, shame

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
He looks alot more mobile and athletic than what he did pre injury in his debut and previous years in the twos.

Reid straight back in once fit but feel assured that Amartey will be the one who takes over once he is finished.

He looks alot more mobile and athletic than what he did pre injury in his debut and previous years in the twos.

Reid straight back in once fit but feel assured that Amartey will be the one who takes over once he is finished.

His speed is also a weapon for a big fella. He must frustrate poor old Sinkers at training when he has to chase Joel.

Had a few dozen calf pulls and tears in my years. Never have I had one that kept me out for more than a month let alone 2. What the hell has Reid got wrong with his calf????? Anyone?????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was as good a game as you could expect from a second-gamer of his size. Was sticking some strong grabs, and used his mobility to keep every ball he didn't mark alive in the contest. What an absolute bonus it would be if he could join McLean & McDonald as young talls proving their worth. Keeps the competition and the pressure among those three even higher, which can only be a good thing for the team!

Well the
Had a few dozen calf pulls and tears in my years. Never have I had one that kept me out for more than a month let alone 2. What the hell has Reid got wrong with his calf????? Anyone?????
Well the problem with calf issues is partly in what you said, you copped a few dozen. It never stops at one. And the the next one always come on quicker and easier than the previous. It's probably the least talked about yet most career shortening injury there is.

This one included a damaged tendon horse said.. If we make finals, I really think we need Reid fit and firing to go all the way.

After watching heaps of NEAFL games live thru ‘18 and ‘19 I really couldn’t see big Joel making the cut.
For the most part he was like a big lumbering Clydesdale, only impacting when a ball was placed perfectly on his head, but there were these occasional moments where, for a few seconds, he looked like a gazelle, and coupled with his size, I thought, “If he could just produce that more than once in a blue moon he might go okay.”
Late in ‘19, and with the club desperately short of KPD, he was thrown down back where he looked more lost than ever… surely The Last Chance Saloon for the big man?
Convo with somebody up on high at the club revealed a desire for Joel to grow his competitiveness while my suggestion that Toby Pink had shown plenty while transforming to a defender was cursorily ignored.
One of the likeable things about Joel for me was his willingness to get involved in the occasional melees and support the younger smaller guys so it didn’t make sense to me that they were seeking more competitiveness… I see now that it was more a drive to achieve rather than a fire in the belly that they sought.
Amartey has clearly applied himself to building an AFL-player body and his showing last week a wonderful reward for effort!
Well done big Joel!

Big shout out to Amartey in this piece

Remove this Banner Ad

Back