Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

1454318147691_03080803_MPX_5064851_hd720.jpg

Joel Amartey
Joel Amartey has shown strong form in the ruck and as a key-position player at both ends of the ground since being drafted to the Sydney Swans as a rookie ahead of season 2018. The Ghanaian-Australian produced arguably his best performance of the 2019 season against Sydney University in Round 6, which saw him collect 42 hit-outs and a goal. In season 2020, he made his AFL debut against Brisbane Lions in Round 17 after producing some strong individual performances in scrimmage matches, and impressed with eight hit-outs and two inside 50.

Joel Amartey
DOB: 02 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #28, 2017 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Gram (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Attachments

• Amartey party.jpg
    Amartey party.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 45

It has to be said Amartey was brilliant on the weekend. Did just about everything which was asked of him and he played as if it was his spot. You should have seen all the kids asking for his autograph and the smile on his face.

Next week he's against the toughest defence in the league (IMO). If he can perform at a high level again we have really unearthed something

I hear you but by the same token tall blokes are always in high demand.

Will be plenty sniffing around.
I think Joel knows where he stands in the scheme of things. He's just hitting the sweet spot for physical development and you could see that if his fitness picks up he can do the job. He certainly has a future here in a winning culture.
If someone offers him big money and he takes it there's not much we can do.

Really happy with big Joel’s progress. Saw quite a bit of him back in the NEAFL days and he just struck me not as a footballer but as somebody who played football for a living.
Capable of a highlight or two, and an occasional flash of fire and passion but not overly consumed with the game.
He had the agility and grace of a Clydesdale show jumping and the turning circle of a Mack truck (contrary to an oft-expressed opinion around these parts) and I was pretty disappointed he was preferred over big Toby, who in my mind had shown a bit down back at a time we desperately needed some depth in KPDs.
Couple of years later and Joelly looks a new man…. slim, mobile, confident, committed and very much a part of the “In” crowd.
Happily confident he will continue to grow.

Last edited:
If he doesn't back it up his rating wont change. Don't forget Sinclair smashed the Saints one game but never replicated it.
Sinkers should be a role model for Amartey as he got the absolute max from his ability

Joel has great natural ability but not much IQ or commitment to get the best from himself.

BEaston made very pointed comments last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we're in the box seat to keep Amartey: good culture, winning form, space for him in our best 22 (esp with Buddy's departure) provided his form warrants it, cap space to pay him. The only reasons I can see him leaving are either (a) we don't want him; or (b) he wants to go home. If another club does come hard for him and they successfully woo him, they'll have to pony up at the trade table (unless it's Hawthorn because they'll be at the bottom of the ladder and will be able to threaten to walk him to the PSD).

I listened to the ABC commentary of the Hawthorn game while mowing the lawn and taidgh Kennelly mentioned a few times that when Amartey got to the club he had a basketball background and couldn't jog around the oval. Said he kept going to Kinnear "what the hell have you given us to work with here!"

That he has barely had a proper preason and starting from that base it's such a credit to Joel that he is on the list at all. I really hope he gets a good run at it soon with health and games etc and really settles in to some good senior form. He's worked his backside off to get where he is and you can see his athletic gifts and talent from a mile off. Could be a really important peice of the forward line puzzle if it all works out!

Anyone a clue how bad the hammy is, looked relatively innocuous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back