Delisted #36: Michael Hartley - Joins Hawthorne via the preseason draft - 29/11

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was under 23 did, but that's only for players that haven't already been in the system (Barlow type)

I was under the impression that as an under 23 at time of draft he got the two year standard contract (even if he was a Collingwood rookie once upon a time). Possibly we're trying to extend him but he won't take an extension at base rates of pay? Iuno.

He's been back to being a step behind in the last few weeks (after destroying Bruce) and reacting to his opponent rather than attacking the ball.

One thing that is strange is the point at which he is effecting spoils in packs. A lot of the time it seems like he is badly trailing his opponent and he ends up spoiling the ball after the mark has been missed (or maybe it is just in time). I can't work out if he has deceptively quick closing speed or a really powerful jump that makes that last bit of ground up.

Given the performance on Griffiths last week I think he's just got the balance of reacting and attacking the ball wrong and that it's because he is behind that he can come in over the top to kill the ball. I doubt that it is sustainable.

Very ordinary since that St Kilda game.

He was fine today. Controlled his opponents today which has not been the case in recent weeks.

Wish Hartley and Dea display better communication on the field.
Thought he was ordinary. Jenkins spent most of his time in the ruck.

Hartley had plenty of chance to control the air but didn't. Kicking was a bit off also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hartley has been awesome. He is going through the same stages that Hooker went through to win the B&F.

Riverina boy done good.

Stage 1 - Stop your opponent and put in plenty of 1 percenters to make this happen.

Stage 2. Stop your opponent AND if they don't watch you, you will hurt them. Mark the ball and quick exits to exert pressure.

Stage 1 - Tick

Stage 2 - Definitely capable and cant wait to see him achieve this.

He is in a very inexperience back line and losing Gwilt a few weeks ago is a bigger loss then most would like to admit.

I am someone who will admit that I think Gwilt must have done abit of marshaling in the back end of the field. The back line has looked far less organised since he went down injured.

He's been pretty good this year, he's had a couple of flat patches but lets be honest it's been hard playing in the back line this year. Against the Crows we got very unbalanced in the back line when Jenko went into the ruck and not having the experience of Gwilt(hence why Cooney/Godard drifted around the D50) to marshal everybody it threw the inexperienced players out for a while and Hartley suffered as he logical match ups of Jenko and Walker weren't there.

I'd be locking him away for a 2 yr contract as I think he will only get better and at worst will add depth to our tall stocks.

Having Hartley, could make potentially losing Hurley a good thing.
You don't want to load your backline up with money, we already have Cale Hooker.
We'd get good compensation for Hurley and I trust Dodoro and co. to get us good draftees.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/vid...e/news-story/54f45605c4f879ab16e95798399d9bf3

Holy shitballs that is one hell of a broken nose....

fjuabWI.jpg

What a huge game he had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back