Delisted #36: Michael Hartley - Joins Hawthorne via the preseason draft - 29/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if they just want harts getting more touches this week and work on his intercept marks by playing him in the vfl and not even naming him as an emergency

I have been happy with Ambrose this season. However to say this is based on match-ups is plain incorrect.

I think it's plausible that due to the Rowe situation we don't know what end weitering is playing at, therefore we are not as sure whether we want to be so tall down back, plug brown in and he can do either back or forward and it just makes us a little more versatile on the day.

If you have further information you would like to share re hartleys axing, feel free, otherwise to say my opinion is 'plain incorrect' arrogant to say the least.

I think it's plausible that due to the Rowe situation we don't know what end weitering is playing at, therefore we are not as sure whether we want to be so tall down back, plug brown in and he can do either back or forward and it just makes us a little more versatile on the day.

If you have further information you would like to share re hartleys axing, feel free, otherwise to say my opinion is 'plain incorrect' arrogant to say the least.
I think if anything it's due to form. I don't have "inside info" on the AFL side of things but why would you drop a 200cm defender when the opposition's #1 key forward is also 200cm and the other two key defenders are 193?

I have been happy with Ambrose this season. However to say this is based on match-ups is plain incorrect.

I think there's been too many occasions where Hartley has punched it, when Brown would have marked it. That's my ONLY issue with Hartley. I think they asked him to mark more against Brisbane, he tried on Hipwood, then reverted back to what he knows as he was being beaten.

I think if anything it's due to form. I don't have "inside info" on the AFL side of things but why would you drop a 200cm defender when the opposition's #1 key forward is also 200cm and the other two key defenders are 193?

So you think Hartley would do a better job then a AA CHB in Hurley on casbolt due to height alone. Bit more to the game then how tall a man is.

I think there's been too many occasions where Hartley has punched it, when Brown would have marked it. That's my ONLY issue with Hartley. I think they asked him to mark more against Brisbane, he tried on Hipwood, then reverted back to what he knows as he was being beaten.

I thought punching the ball from a tall forward is good defence. Not sure Brown is any better mark than Hartley

So you think Hartley would do a better job then a AA CHB in Hurley on casbolt due to height alone. Bit more to the game then how tall a man is.
Hurley has struggled on ruckman sized defenders his entire career.

I'm surprised he got left out but there's not an enormous difference between Hartley, Ambrose and Brown. Ambrose has probably performed the best of the 3 this season thus far. I do generally prefer Hartley as he's a much better kick and has the extra height. Brown is clearly the best of the 3 at intercept marking though.

I think if Hartley comes straight back in next week you can assume its a matchup's thing or even a rotation thing. If he's left out against Adelaide then that probably means he's gone down to 3rd in line out of those 3.

I'm surprised he got left out but there's not an enormous difference between Hartley, Ambrose and Brown. Ambrose has probably performed the best of the 3 this season thus far. I do generally prefer Hartley as he's a much better kick and has the extra height. Brown is clearly the best of the 3 at intercept marking though.

I think if Hartley comes straight back in next week you can assume its a matchup's thing or even a rotation thing. If he's left out against Adelaide then that probably means he's gone down to 3rd in line out of those 3.
I'm fairly sure all four will play next week with the way Adelaide structure their forward line.

Tex-Hurley
McGovern-Hartley
Otten/Jenkins-Brown
Lynch-Ambrose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't rule out some personal issue affecting Hartley as a reason for his omission also.

He did playVFL yesterday, so not sure that it's a personal issue... unless it's an event he needs to go to today, but I'm pretty doubtful that would be something he or the club would do.

He also didn't look to be working on anything differently yesterday to last week.

I think his omission is more about wanting Brown in.

Lost his matchup again - mcgovern on crutches at the end of the night
Jenkins is probably fit to play next week so simply slides to him.

Having watched the Brisbane replay again Hartley was lucky he didn't have 6 kicked on him.

Hartleys go to play is to sit about three or four metres off his opponent and use his pace to make ground late and his leap to get the fist in at the last moment.

Problem with that was Hipwood is both quicker and just as athletic but due to his light frame was unable to hold what should have been relatively easy marks.

I think Harts has a big future with us but he better add some other strings to his bow or he may get exposed on the smarter forwards.

I think a good starting point would be to get mentored by Hooker(if he's not already).

Hooksey was also considered very one dimensional early in his career but over the course of four or five seasons developed offensive marking(otherwise known as cluncking) and rebound and became an All Australian defender.

If Hartley were to come back into the team I wonder if playing him as second ruck may help with his development.

I understand leaving Hartley out because of weather/match ups but seriously dont replace him with Brown. Brown should not be on a AFL list and if he costs Essendon a match in the future I`ll lose it

I understand leaving Hartley out because of weather/match ups but seriously dont replace him with Brown. Brown should not be on a AFL list and if he costs Essendon a match in the future I`ll lose it
Right. Gets delisted, goes back and dominates the VFL, gets drafted and performs well in a side that's s**t (kicking 20 goals in a year) as well as performing solidly in defence when back there.

I mean come on, he'd get regular games at most clubs in the AFL.

Conversation should probably be in the preview thread.

I'm interested Slizdawg what you think he lacks at AFL level, and what he should be working on? I notice that you didn't rate Brown the last time you were logged in either.

Right. Gets delisted, goes back and dominates the VFL, gets drafted and performs well in a side that's s**t (kicking 20 goals in a year) as well as performing solidly in defence when back there.

Probably should ask for more information before you jump on him... otherwise there's nothing to argue against except subjective opinions, and we know where that leaves us.

I too prefer Hartley to Brown but the coaching staff disagree.

Brown finished 6th in the B&F last year and Hartley outside top ten so clearly Brown is doing his job.

Not sure about that.

Certainly in the mix but he's still to find a spot on the ground that he has shown he can impact a game each week.

Not sure about that.

Certainly in the mix but he's still to find a spot on the ground that he has shown he can impact a game each week.

I'd think he's best suited in defence but due to suspensions he was forced to play a lot of football forward last season.

Re Mitch Brown at other clubs following his very good afl season last year and extremely good VFL the two seasons prior:

Ade: wouldn't get a look in for forward line but would be in the mix for a defensive spot - call it fringe

Bri: absolute certainty to get a game

Car: certainty

Coll: certainty

Ess: fringe

Freo: certainty

Gee: fringe

GC: certainty

GWS: fringe

Haw: certainty

Mel: certainty

NM: certainty

Port: defensive spot yes

Ric: certainty

St K: defensive spot yes

Syd: fringe

WC: fringe

Dogs: defensive spot yes

I too prefer Hartley to Brown but the coaching staff disagree.

Brown finished 6th in the B&F last year and Hartley outside top ten so clearly Brown is doing his job.

Hartley did do a hamstring missing 3 matches last year whilst Brown only missed one so suspect playing the extra two matches helped Brown finish ahead of Hartley in B&F

Remove this Banner Ad

Back