Delisted #36: Michael Hartley - Joins Hawthorne via the preseason draft - 29/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Christ we need him kicking more. How about that bullet pass to Joe in the third straight down the middle?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

still got me stumped why he was dropped...much better team with him stopping a gun fwd
Because Ambrose was in better form.

Anyway, Hartley is in really good form now, so that's what counts.

Think that the assessments have been quite generous. His game last year was much better. Thought that Hartley was burned off too often which would be okay if he was taking intercept marks but he wasn't. Buddy had 6 scoring shots.

I feel like I have some sort of weird reverse colour blindness type problem, everytime I see him I still see the massive black eye, it was a good look for him

I think Hartley was pretty decent on Franklin. Yes Franklin kicked 0.6 so it wasn't like he dominated him all match or anything like that but even if he had kicked 3 it would have been considered a small win for them. Credit to him for not giving him any easy looks at a simple goal - most of those were all around 50+ out and towards the boundary and whilst yes Buddy is great at kicking them from there its far from a certainty.

Hartley has certainly improved during the year though. At the start he was giving away a lot of free kicks and offering little offensively (although he's always had the capacity to be better because he is a booming kick). I think he's now confident in his role. He's a player that likes to be given a straight forward task to take a particular player out of the game rather than Hurley's role which is a bit of everything.

I do think potentially there may be issues when Ambrose is in the side together and whether we perhaps lack some rebound with 2 more shutdown defenders. That said they are both improving their rebounding and intercept abilities although its not a strength of them at present.
I suspect Brown will synergise better with Hartley as the intercept man but he's not that great offensively because his kicking is quite suspect.

In any case Hartley was a great pickup at the pick we used for him so I'm delighted with his progress and that for the first time in forever we actually have depth in our KPD's including 4 players that can play the role + Hooker is still there as a break in case of emergency option.

In any case Hartley was a great pickup at the pick we used for him
Couldn't agree more. I think any club in the league would be delighted to have someone drafted at 68 to play just one game in the seniors let alone consistently perform well at that level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back