Past #36: Phoenix Spicer - drafted w/ #42 in 2020 ND - delisted end '23 - 12 NM games / 2 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

He seems a good kid, but lets be honest in 7 games he’s kicked 1 goal and averages 1 tackle.

If you’re not kicking goals then you sure as s**t need to be locking the ball in our forward line.

We need a crumber who kicks goals.

We need his pace, I think his legs are too quick for his mind.

I'd persist, he's the icing, just need the cake

He's certainly got some talent and ability, whether or not they are able to find a way to increase his confidence to a level to unlock that talent is another question.

he'll be the first player delisted

i still cant fathom how they chose spicer over mcreery who played in the same forward line in the sanfl
Made a mental note of mcreery. He runs hard all day and actually gets rewarded, unlike a few of our players who will remain nameless (curtis Taylor).

Made a mental note of mcreery. He runs hard all day and actually gets rewarded, unlike a few of our players who will remain nameless (curtis Taylor).
Don't think missing out on McCreery is a big deal.

He's a low possession, high intensity pressure sort of footballer. Think he's benefited from ending up at Collingwood where he's able to utilise his skillset, he would have been ****ed if he ended up at North.

It was very limited when he did and most occasions were instances where he realistically was never going to get hit or was the one making and controlling the contact.

Believe me I wish he would work out because we are crying out for a small forward with elite speed, but this guy doesn’t have that instinctive mindset of putting himself in situations to win the ball that might potentially result in him receiving some form of contact.

It’s like Cale Morton, all the talent in the world, but washed out because he couldn’t cope with the physicality of the top level.
Cale Morton... Lol. Now there was a bloke scared of his own shadow.

As for comparisons with jim krackour, just plain silly.
You could compare levi greenwood with crak and he would look like a coward. Jimmy had an interesting build where he was physically unable to take a backward step. Well at least thats how it looked because he never did. Mark harvey tested him once and wore one of the fastest jabs ever for his troubles.

i still cant fathom how they chose spicer over mcreery who played in the same forward line in the sanfl
He was taken in a speculative pick regeon and on exposed form spicer was very raw but if he was the next charlie cameron the punt would have been masterstroke. I got no problem looking for diamonds in the rough on this area.

You take the safe bets like mcreary with your 2nd rounders rather than punting them on prospects like Mahoney.

I
I don’t know if it’s just me, but in the last vfl game I saw and in patches in the port games, there is the makings of a quality small forward. He’s got some pretty major deficiencies to work on but he’s the type we are screaming out for. I’d be tempted to give him another year at least on the rookie list.

Another Rawlings special

Would love to know how many times we’ve all typed the word ‘hope/hopefully’ on this forum over the past 5 years!

That’s all we’ve got really - hope!
True enough but with Clarkson I’m confident he’s like already got a pencil out and put a line through a lot of players ticks against some others and question marks next to the rest. He’s like a cobra watching the mice run around the hay shed waiting the perfect time to strike 👍

In other words he has a plan to realise the true destiny of NMFC which I will reveal here for the first time:
4 Premierships IN A ROW 😵

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What Spicer has is acceleration - same top speed as others but gets to top speed way quicker than most. We've desperately needed some small forwards with his type of acceleration for a long time. Unfortunately Spicer doesn't look like he'll make it because of other shortcomings. But we need to find some small forwards with genuine gears/acceleration.

Spicer has to be gone. The small forward role requires speed and goal sense and Spicer only has speed. This isn’t a position that requires 3yrs of development. A good player in this position should be able to walk straight into our team. For all our key position requirements it’s probably worth investing a first rounder at some point on a small forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back