Past #37: Kyron Hayden - delisted end '22 - 12 NM games/ 0 NM goals - thanks Ronny

Remove this Banner Ad

He already looks like an absolute unit. He's gonna be a strong midfielder in the coming seasons.

Just finished watching the North VFL game (was at the Derby) this kid is GOOD. Solid tackles, nailed his kicks and handballs, shows a bit of speed and grunt in the middle and that bump looked painful (didn't deserve 50). Wished I looked good in my first game back after 7-8 months. Love the North selections this year.

Did anyone catch our VFL game against the Scummers on Saturday? I took great interest and locked on Hayden for most of the second half (only got there at HF).
He looked completely disinterested to the point I was concerned.
Did not get out of a standing pose around stoppages for 5+ mins, chewing his nails whilst awaiting ball ups. The rat got stuck into him for not manning up, then only walking to man up and returned volley with his own mouthful back.
He spent the whole of 3 quarter time chewing his nails and staring aimlessly into space, apparently not taking in Loader's address.
Only moved out of a shuffle whenever ball fell in his lap.
Strange, very strange.

Hmmm, interesting.

Did anyone catch our VFL game against the Scummers on Saturday? I took great interest and locked on Hayden for most of the second half (only got there at HF).
Did not get out of a standing pose around stoppages for 5+ mins, chewing his nails whilst awaiting ball ups. The rat got stuck into him for not manning up, then only walking to man up and returned volley with his own mouthful back.
He spent the whole of 3 quarter time chewing his nails and staring aimlessly into space, apparently not taking in Loader's address.
Strange, very strange.
Don't like him hey, tall story.

Strange, very strange.

I'd like to hear correlation of those who were there that day to confirm, because I'm simply not gonna take your word for it since its a big brush to smear with. No offence.

ansonholt Flawed Genius

Strange, very strange.

So what you’re saying is we need to buy him some nail clippers?

Last edited:
I'd like to hear correlation of those who were there that day to confirm, because I'm simply not gonna take your word for it since its a big brush to smear with. No offence.

ansonholt Flawed Genius
Still trying to work out why he wasn't dragged, coaches surely would have noticed his 5+ minutes of nothing but standing. Must have done something according to his review. Chatting to a mate tomorrow that is an X AFL player ( essenden)that was at the game. Reckon he would have noticed, critical bugger he is.

Still trying to work out why he wasn't dragged, coaches surely would have noticed his 5+ minutes of nothing but standing. Must have done something according to his review. Chatting to a mate tomorrow that is an X AFL player ( essenden)that was at the game. Reckon he would have noticed, critical bugger he is.

Love to hear back about it and get to the bottom of this. Very weird stuff.

I wasn’t watching him that closely - just thought he was a long way off it after the injury. I’d be surprised if he was disinterested. He’d be one 1 year deal would he not?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No excuse........but.......young kid, drafted outta state, bit of pre-season, goes for reco, misses early games. Reckon he might be a little down. No excuse but hopefully duly noted by someone and rectified.

I wasn’t watching him that closely - just thought he was a long way off it after the injury. I’d be surprised if he was disinterested. He’d be one 1 year deal would he not?

No excuse........but.......young kid, drafted outta state, bit of pre-season, goes for reco, misses early games. Reckon he might be a little down. No excuse but hopefully duly noted by someone and rectified.

There are excuses.

- Kyron Hayden first rose to prominence in 2014 after stellar performances in the National U15s Schoolboys Carnival. He won All-Australian selection, the WA State MVP and finished second to Luke Davies-Uniacke for the J.L. Williams Medal (the overall Best & Fairest for the Championships)

- in 2016, Hayden suffered osteitis pubis, and was ruled out for the year......."the junior All-Australian was told by doctors he couldn’t run for eight months"

- Played 14 games of Colts footy in 2017.

- Breaks Natanui's jump record at testing, but at the same time it is noted that he has to work on his endurance........"The main area that separates the likes of Sam Powell-Pepper with Kyron Hayden is in the endurance stakes. Powell-Pepper was an endurance beast and Hayden needs to work on his tank, which was seriously affected by his groin injury and therefore missed time training ahead of the National Under 18 Championships."

- Get's drafted by North.

- Misses 4 months after undergoing an AC operation basically straight after arriving at North.

He's played a sum total of 16 games of footy since 2015. I'm not expecting anything until the 2019 season arrives, provided there are no more hiccups.

If LDU isn't ready then why would anyone expect a bloke with Kyron's setbacks to be ready?

Last edited:
- Kyron Hayden first rose to prominence in 2014 after stellar performances in the National U15s Schoolboys Carnival. He won All-Australian selection, the WA State MVP and finished second to Luke Davies-Uniacke for the J.L. Williams Medal (the overall Best & Fairest for the Championships)

So last year we drafted the winner and the runner up in the JL Wiliams medal for 2014?

That is awesome. (I might have seen that before and promptly forgotten but it was worth it to drool over the idea again.)

There are excuses.

- in 2016, Hayden suffered osteitis pubis, and was ruled out for the year......."the junior All-Australian was told by doctors he couldn’t run for eight months"

- Played 14 games of Colts footy in 2017.

- Breaks Natanui's jump record at testing, but at the same time it is noted that he has to work on his endurance........"The main area that separates the likes of Sam Powell-Pepper with Kyron Hayden is in the endurance stakes. Powell-Pepper was an endurance beast and Hayden needs to work on his tank, which was seriously affected by his groin injury and therefore missed time training ahead of the National Under 18 Championships."

- Get's drafted by North.

- Misses 4 months after undergoing an AC operation basically straight after arriving at North.

He's played a sum total of 16 games of footy since 2015. I'm not expecting anything until the 2019 season arrives, provided there are no more hiccups.

If LDU isn't ready then why would anyone expect a bloke with Kyron's setbacks to be ready?
Snake my man nailed it. Give these kids time.

Strange, very strange.

While some won't like the content of this message snowy has posted what their interpretation of what they observed/thought.

Yeah I saw him put in on more than one occasion

I would hazard a guess that given this was his second or third real go at it at senior level as a member of an AFL club he's probably working into it

He missed a few tackles but who didn't on Saturday

I saw enough endeavour to suggest that he's not miserable in Melbourne

ansonholt Flawed Genius

Would love to say that I saw this but I didn't. Meaning I can't confirm or deny.

What I did see, for whatever reason, was not the level of output I was hoping for. Some good signs, yes, and some good link up run, but not to the effort and contribution level of Mountford or Hibberd. Quite a long way off. Still heaps of time - it's his first year. Any of the sort of behaviour mentioned, if it exists, will be stamped out pretty soon I would think. If it isn't, then he may not make it. Not the end of the world for us, but not great for him.

I'm hoping that the body language described is misleading, and he's totally committed. Only he and his teammates and coaches will know this for sure.

Would love to say that I saw this but I didn't. Meaning I can't confirm or deny.

What I did see, for whatever reason, was not the level of output I was hoping for. Some good signs, yes, and some good link up run, but not to the effort and contribution level of Mountford or Hibberd. Quite a long way off. Still heaps of time - it's his first year. Any of the sort of behaviour mentioned, if it exists, will be stamped out pretty soon I would think. If it isn't, then he may not make it. Not the end of the world for us, but not great for him.

I'm hoping that the body language described is misleading, and he's totally committed. Only he and his teammates and coaches will know this for sure.

Honestly mate, do you think Mountford and Hibberd are reasonable comparisons to Kyron at this point considering everything?

Hibberd outruns everyone on the list!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back