Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

I would’ve taken NIWL stunning offensive work of 22 than any of the forward( whether offensive or defensive )work Campbell and Mansell have dished up over the last month. Not being a smart arse, but try and be a little bit open minded and realistic in your comparisons.

I’m on the other side of the world and clearly out of the loop.
But what in Gods name is NIWL?
Can’t you use normal language?

I would’ve taken NIWL stunning offensive work of 22 than any of the forward( whether offensive or defensive )work Campbell and Mansell have dished up over the last month. Not being a smart arse, but try and be a little bit open minded and realistic in your comparisons.

Errr...Cumberland was part of the highest scoring forward line in the competition in 2022. Campbell and Mansell are being put through the wringer of playing in THE LOWEST scoring forward line in the competition in 2024.

2024 8 games in Richmond 74 goals(conceded 108)

2022 8 games in Richmond 117 goals(conceded 93)

2022 Cumberland would not be having anywhere near the scoreboard impact in this 2024 team. But hopefully he keeps building his all round defensive and offensive game because we can now see his team-mates are invested in him doing well, presumably as a result of the team-orientated acts he is adding to his game. If Cumberland comes back into the team and does well, for me this will establish the path the club has taken with him has been the correct one. But don't expect 2022 levels of scoreboard impact, that won't be happening.

Errr...Cumberland was part of the highest scoring forward line in the competition in 2022. Campbell and Mansell are being put through the wringer of playing in THE LOWEST scoring forward line in the competition in 2024.

2024 8 games in Richmond 74 goals(conceded 108)

2022 8 games in Richmond 117 goals(conceded 93)

2022 Cumberland would not be having anywhere near the scoreboard impact in this 2024 team. But hopefully he keeps building his all round defensive and offensive game because we can now see his team-mates are invested in him doing well, presumably as a result of the team-orientated acts he is adding to his game. If Cumberland comes back into the team and does well, for me this will establish the path the club has taken with him has been the correct one. But don't expect 2022 levels of scoreboard impact, that won't be happening.
They are still not contributing so again they make up 1/3 rd of a non contributing forward line . So they are 33.33% responsible for it being pathetic. They should have been dropped weeks ago or at least one of them. They’re like scarecrows in a corn field.

I’m on the other side of the world and clearly out of the loop.
But what in Gods name is NIWL?
Can’t you use normal language?
You’ve got to watch more VFL Tiger games Livo
It’s Noah In WonderLand. I coined it early last year bc of his inconsistent performances. It’s all part of the Alice in wonderland characters we have in our team. JGTI and KMac are the Walrus and the Carpenter respectively. lol. 😂

I don't expect him to play again. He debuted with no Castagna, Dusty nor JGTI I think. Subbed in for an Injured Lynch. Castagna would have been selected ahead of him if not injury retirement.

23 was MRJ, Mansell, Prestia/Cotch up fwd, JGTI back in the 22. Martin and Bolton fwd. Plus Hopper & Tarranto mid/fwd Combo didn't retain his spot after his games last year.

2024 Yze has Martin & Bolton fwd again. Plus JG, plus 3 other smalls. Graham will be straight back in Green an emergency the other week and/or Coulthard will be played if and when they rest Campbell.

Last edited:
You’ve got to watch more VFL Tiger games Livo
It’s Noah In WonderLand. I coined it early last year bc of his inconsistent performances. It’s all part of the Alice in wonderland characters we have in our team. JGTI and KMac are the Walrus and the Carpenter respectively. lol. 😂
i think for a phrase to be "coined" TI, it needs to be taken up by more than one person

I don't expect him to play again. He debuted with no Castagna, Dusty nor JGTI I think. Subbed in for an Injured Lynch. IN Castagna would have been selected if not injury retirement.

23 was MRJ, Mansell, Prestia/Cotch up fwd, JGTI back in the 22. Martin and Bolton fwd. Plus Hopper & Tarranto mid/fwd Combo didn't retain his spot after his games last year.

2024 Yze has Martin & Bolton fwd again. Plus JG, plus 3 other smalls. Graham will be straight back in Green an emergency the other week and/or Coulthard will be played if and when they rest Campbell.
It looks like by Morris’ review he’s going to play.

Last edited:
It looks like by Morris’ review he’s going to play.
Noah Cumberland (14 disposals, seven contested possessions, six marks, four inside-50s, six tackles, one goal)

“Noah could have absolutely torn the game to shreds. He had seven shots on goal and pleasingly had a game-high six tackles. If he can make more of his opportunities in front of goals, he is clearly the best player on the ground.”

IF..if ...if. he didn't kick for goal like George. 1 goal 5 behinds

I'd be staggered if he's selected off that. Yze had Green ahead in the presason I reckon he uses Green/Coulthard first.

Last edited:
Noah Cumberland (14 disposals, seven contested possessions, six marks, four inside-50s, six tackles, one goal)

“Noah could have absolutely torn the game to shreds. He had seven shots on goal and pleasingly had a game-high six tackles. If he can make more of his opportunities in front of goals, he is clearly the best player on the ground.”

IF..if ...if. he didn't kick for goal like George. TBH 1 goal 5

I'd be staggered if he's selected off that,
He’s not interested in 1.6 in that description, but more excited that he had 6 tackles and lots of opportunities . Every forward has a bad day at the office with their kicking boots letting them down. Morris is clearly telling us his true evaluation by saying if if he'd kicked straight the damage NIWL could’ve done. He’s clearly telling the readers that he had lots of opportunities, but he didn’t make the most of them and if he had he would’ve been bog. I’d be staggered if he wasn’t selected as he would do more than what Campbell and Mansell have offered combined and totalled over the last month. He would only have to put his boots on and run on the ground as they’ve been pitiful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF..if ...if. he didn't kick for goal like George. 1 goal 5 behinds

I'd be staggered if he's selected off that. Yze had Green ahead in the presason I reckon he uses Green/Coulthard first.
Use Green or Coulthard, but also use Cumberland. You cannot use preseason as a judge 5 VFL games in. Coulthard can score goals, covers the ground well and has natural forward craft. He could easily come in this week. Green has been OK, one good game but he doesn't hit the scoreboard. Cumberland does because he plays a third tall dynamic game. It's a role of the dice to see how it does, but he is miles in front of Green in my eyes, who while classy doesn't get it much.

He’s not interested in 1.6 in that description, but more excited that he had 6 tackles and lots of opportunities . Every forward has a bad day at the office with their kicking boots letting them down. Morris is clearly telling us his true evaluation by saying if if he'd kicked straight the damage NIWL could’ve done. He’s clearly telling the readers that he had lots of opportunities, but he didn’t make the most of them and if he had he would’ve been bog. I’d be staggered if he wasn’t selected as he would do more than what Campbell and Mansell have offered combined and totalled over the last month. He would only have to put his boots on and run on the ground as they’ve been pitiful.
See what happens tonight at selection, My tip, not my wish, Yze going to go Prestia, Graham, Balta, Green.

See what happens tonight at selection, My tip, not my wish, Yze going to go Prestia, Graham, Balta, Green.
I thought Green was average last game and if he doesn't then NIWL may as well hang up his boots for the year. It really would then be a workplace injustice/ discrimination case. We've kicked 6 and 5 goals in consecutive games and we need at least one goal kicker.

I thought Green was average last game and if he doesn't then NIWL may as well hang up his boots for the year. It really would then be a workplace injustice/ discrimination case. We've kicked 6 and 5 goals in consecutive games and we need at least one goal kicker.
Yet Yze had Green as emergency ahead of Combo last week I think.. Hugo selected on the wing off the back of good games off half back.
Looking at wing depth for the future maybe. Probably saved his career

Selectors have Combo at the back of a L O N G list of small forwards. Mansell, I don't rate and Seth should be rested, but if I've learnt anything about RFC selection, is I have no idea how half the team get a game/never get dropped.

My gut feeling is they rate Green and if Campbell is out watch him take his spot. Combo has Dusty holding him out.

Maybe if/when Combo backs that performance up he either gets more games with RFC or he attracts oppo club interest.

Yet Yze had Green as emergency ahead of Combo last week I think.. Hugo selected on the wing off the back of good games off half back.
Looking at wing depth for the future maybe. Probably saved his career

Selectors have Combo at the back of a L O N G list of small forwards. Mansell, I don't rate and Seth should be rested, but if I've learnt anything about RFC selection, is I have no idea how half the team get a game/never get dropped.

My gut feeling is they rate Green and if Campbell is out watch him take his spot. Combo has Dusty holding him out.

Maybe if/when Combo backs that performance up he either gets more games with RFC or he attracts oppo club interest.
That was before last weeks vfl game. Emergency list as long as ours means nothing so don't over analyse too much into that as things change backed on VFL form and hopefully consistent form as NIWL has offered 2 weeks of it .

Coulthard and Cumbo both should be in without a doubt

Seth is gonna be a very good player for sure but he needs a run in the 2’s…
Mansell or Banks the same
Agreed
I’d start him in the 22. But at the very least he’s a much better option than Kmac as sub. A decision that has me scratching my head. I’m not potting Kmac, but he’s the least likely sub imo.

Coulthard and Cumbo both should be in without a doubt

Seth is gonna be a very good player for sure but he needs a run in the 2’s…
Mansell or Banks the same
It’s almost pointless having crumbing small forwards in our current forward line . Balta returns and that might change a bit , but intercept defenders have had a field day against us .

I think why he is getting so much love from his team-mates is because of the changes they can see he has made to his game. Changes we first noticed in the earlier games this season when he was struggling to have any offensive impact after so much defensive exertion. So he might indeed be getting close to AFL ready, but nothing to do with his stunning offensive work in 2022, more to do with now getting what he needs to do to be part of the team.
Fingers crossed it’s all finally clicked for him and whenever he gets his call up he embraces it and never plays vfl again

Agreed
I’d start him in the 22. But at the very least he’s a much better option than Kmac as sub. A decision that has me scratching my head. I’m not potting Kmac, but he’s the least likely sub imo.
Dumbest sub ever while we in rebuild

Surely at least with the AFL side playing before the VFL this week we can sub a kid and if he only plays 1/4 or so he can play the VFL the next day too

Last edited:
Dumbest sub ever while we in rebuild

Surely at least with the AFL side playing before the VFL for one we can sub a kid and if he only plays 1/4 or so he can the VFL the next day
Yeah spot on. As I said not potting Kmac, but you either play him on the wing or not at all.
Last week he came on as sub, stood in the goal square, and looked a fish out of water. For me a sub is the type that can come on and impact a game.
No doubt Cumberland is suited to the role. Although it’s not necessarily a great way to get a player back into form.
One thing he does need to sort out is that set shot routine, that has far too many moving parts. He’s much better to sacrifice a couple of meters distance to get a more reliable set shot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back