Noah Balta on the Wing - Richo 2.0?

Remove this Banner Ad

Above is a link to AFL players ranked by score involvements per game in 2023. How many wingers do you see in the top 100?

You don't win anything worthwhile with funk. If you play Balta out there on a wing and try to play through him it might work out ok, it might not. He could get embarrassed for lack of tank and knowhow, that is one possibility. But let's say he fires and starts racking up 8 score involvements per game because the likes of Lachie Hunter can't cope with him. How long until teams would just locate a suitable player to keep him quiet?

Wingers need to run both ways and they need to be able to time which way they run with precision. Balta is no more a winger than a Grand Pianist. He needs to be played in positions where the ball is brought to him and he has one clear direction he needs to run most of the time. He gets totally lost defending at times playing Full Back, how do you think that is going to translate to the wing? He would not know if he was Arthur or Martha.
How many teams have a 197cm mobile beast to match Balta? You are missing the entire point. He is rather unique with his speed, strength, marking ability, height and kicking ability. Just like Richo was on a wing. He just needs a huge preseason focusing on aerobic capacity.

Might not be the most effective choice. While he possesses great athleticism and versatility, his strengths lie more in his defensive capabilities and his ability to contest marks. Placing him on the wing could potentially limit his impact in these areas, as he might not be able to fully utilize his marking ability and defensive skills in the same way.
The whole point is that people are critical of his defensive skills! He also doesn't understand leading patterns innately and so as a permanent KPF he doesn't do so well. The point is to let him run down back and help out with defence and drift forward to provide an added scoring option from the wing. He also becomes a marking target down the line.

If we're serious about footy, we should focus on nurturing his existing strengths, not concocting bizarre plans that belong in a retirement home.
Understand nurturing his strengths, in saying that not as bizarre as you think. Richo should have won a Brownlow with it.

Play him CHB rather than full back so he can attack much the way Broad does. A full back it is so important to be defensively sound, like Young, not so much at CHB, Sisily, Stewart types.

Joaquin Phoenix Reaction GIF

With Balta's footy IQ and his absolutely terrible short-passing, he is NOT the guy I want to deliver the ball inside 50.

I still like him as a 'burst' ruckman - he's probably not tall enough to ruck an entire game, but his impact at a contest is huge. But how to use him for the remaining 70-80% of game time? His contested marking is absolutely great, but his defensive positioning still needs some work. (some:rolleyes:). At this stage, I don't want him anywhere near Lynch in the forward line. (Maybe that's the trick - 'Look Noah - keep your eye on Tom - wherever he goes, you go in completely the opposite direction. If you do get free, or even one-on-one, we'll kick it on top of your head. Otherwise - don't lead, don't call for the ball. You are option No 2.')

He's a fascinating puzzle - I'm glad we have him. If he ever does click - he's going to be awesome.

No - we are lacking in key position players, I've never understood this fascination with it. You do this when you have an abundance of riches in talls which we dont

Okay...

He plays defense, does well, eventually stagnates and Dimma moves him forward during the preseason a few years back and plays him forward for a few weeks.

It fails miserably, he moves back into defense with some good results, he's got great rebounding ability, great intercept capability, fast for a big man with a weapon as a right leg.

Now he's forward again...

Whoever the new coach is, please play him on the wing. I have a feeling he could be trained to revolutionize the wing role, Richo 2.0.

He's got the speed on him to cover so much territory in a game that's all about territory, he's got the boot on him to clear zones and get it deep into the forward line. He could be a real asset and we don't know what to do with him. So it would be nice to see him become Richo 2.0 and have five years to play it rather than just one season.

Thoughts?
hell no. doesn't have the tank or the maneuverability. he's a back half player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay...

He plays defense, does well, eventually stagnates and Dimma moves him forward during the preseason a few years back and plays him forward for a few weeks.

It fails miserably, he moves back into defense with some good results, he's got great rebounding ability, great intercept capability, fast for a big man with a weapon as a right leg.

Whoever the new coach is, please play him on the wing. I have a feeling he could be trained to revolutionize the wing role, Richo 2.0.

He's got the speed on him to cover so much territory in a game that's all about territory, he's got the boot on him to clear zones and get it deep into the forward line. He could be a real asset and we don't know what to do with him. So it would be nice to see him become Richo 2.0 and have five years to play it rather than just one season.

Thoughts?
Also removes the brain fart issue he sometimes has in the backline, while utilising his athleticism, I like it.

Okay...

Thoughts?
if he's got the tank then certainly, would be great for down the line marking option as long as he can push back into defense, when we turn it over!

Richo was an absolute freak at finding the footy, Balta has absolutely no idea what he's doing out there. He needs to be trained heavily in one position, if he keeps moving around he just becomes a liability everywhere.

if he's got the tank then certainly, would be great for down the line marking option as long as he can push back into defense, when we turn it over!

If he was good at marking the ball down the line he would already be our CHF. He doesn't read the play well enough to play ahead of the ball.

Richo was an absolute freak at finding the footy, Balta has absolutely no idea what he's doing out there. He needs to be trained heavily in one position, if he keeps moving around he just becomes a liability everywhere.
Agreed. Shifting him around like a chess piece? That's just asking for trouble. Gotta invest in his development strategically to avoid turning him into a liability across the board.

Agreed. As much as Balta's athleticism would be incredible as a wingman, he just doesn't seem to possess the footy IQ needed for it to work. Sure, try it out in the pre season for shits and giggles but I'd say there's a 5% chance of it working out.

Ordinary stock standard thinkers wont like the idea I think its worth looking into . I'm of the belief we have to change things up to mabe get an edge over the rest wouldnt mind seeing a centre line of

Balta Lefau biggy
Lefau can be that big fast contested inside beast mid hopper was ment to be 😎

Balta will never have the endurance to play on the wing.

Nor the footy smarts. Richo was more than just an athletic beast - he knew how to play the game

Balta needs more than anything else a good mentor. When he had Rance at the club being that for him, he excelled. With Backman, it feels like you need to have that mentor when your developing or you hit a road block.

For all the "genuis" tags Dimma gets - lets not forget he was the guy who wanted to trade Alex Rance to Hawthorn for a 3rd rounder. It was only Leppa going to bat for him and asking for "give me 1 more year with him to see if we can make him 'get it'" that saved him from being traded.

Without Leppa, Rance would not have been the great tiger he was,. Balta needs someone to be that for him i think

Trial him as a mid playing on the slowest oppo mid...plays floating around the center...goes to the wing to help with the kick outs...
If Crapps can play the mid fielder/ruck rover possi so can Balta.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back