Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

What has happened is he is now being made to apply similar amounts of pressure to other forwards, and we can see it is a lot tougher to be special with the ball in hand when you do all the defending the team needs you to do.
Exactly, and it's two games in after a long period out of AFL. He used the ball well on occasions, and muffed.

Campbell has played 2 good games. Where do you get 200 game player from? His ceiling is role player at best.
Disagree with that, Campbell is going to be a seriously good player. He has all the attributes, just needs to build a body and play another 20 games. To me he is our most promising young player.

He'd be in the bottom 5% of the AFL as far as skills. (someone will bring out a stat but the naked eye doesn't lie)

Do we perservere? Not sure. We hardly have an excess of forwards, but I can't see it ending well.

He has an extremely low footy IQ and we need the opposite.

I don't necessarily want Cumberland out this week. If the selectors like his pressure and can live with his errors then I certainly can. The forward line functioned pretty well last night, and that is the main thing. Did Cumberland's pressure allow Martin and Bolton to cut loose a bit? If so, I am fine with him, for now. But only as a pressure forward and he needs to get better at halving marking contests. Being undersized is not something he gets off the hook for, if your role is to stop Ridley intercepting then you have to be judged on how you perform that role. When Lynch returns, we are likely to have Lefau playing that role, and he will be a lot better at it than Cumbo. So Cumberland will need to win a spot v the likes of Graham, Campbell, Mansell, Maurice...and they are all better at it than him, which of course is why they were constantly selected ahead of him.
Stop Ridley from intercepting, why would you say that. The coaches in a million years are not going to play an small, attacking player like Cumberland on a very good player like Ridley. And besides, players play on a multitude of others depending on zones, rotations etc, maybe with the exception a full back on a full forward, or a player like Grimes on Charlie Cameron.

Cumberland played hot and cold. Worked hard but it must be hard knowing you are one bad game away from being dropped. Very few young player respond to that pressure. Mansell up forward is not the answer, he is bog average up forward.

Last edited:
Keep playing him.

If he doesnt get better he can just be Tank Commander.

secret smell GIF

Really, going back over a year with a player playing his 10th match or so against a veteran like Hibbard who physically dominated him after he kicked 3 goals. Never seen that before.
It’s about pointing out the similarities of the two games of Cumbos man being able to wrack up insane amounts of ball mostly from uncontested marks

Means Cumbo is still not giving the player he is assigned the respect they deserve

You're right, but he's 182cm and playing against Ridley who is 195cm. If we had a single option beside Lefau of 6 foot we would be playing them in the same role. Injuries have destroyed out structure choices

Any forward line in the league scores roughly 45% of the time Our small forward set up has 2 talls, back up ruck up there. Short kicking it to our forward line with Ridley, Redman competing against Combo. Seems like the plan. No one expects Combo to win those contests. Just hoping turn the ball over at other parts of the ground.

Not being able to kick goals when he has the chance...probs sees him dropped soon for, on past selection strategy, Mansell first.
Dusty back in form definitely the death knell for this medium fwd

Stop Ridley from intercepting, why would you say that. The coaches in a million years are not going to play an small, attacking player like Cumberland on a very good player like Ridley. And besides, players play on a multitude of others depending on zones, rotations etc, maybe with the exception a full back on a full forward, or a player like Grimes on Charlie Cameron.

Cumberland played hot and cold. Worked harm but is trying to hard knowing he is one bad game away from being dropped. Very few young player respond to that pressure. Mansell up forward is not the answer, he is bog average up forward.

This is it exactly... Also does things at 100% intensity, including with ball in hand. Even at just 90% he kicks the goal, makes the handball in traffic, sticks the tackle. Coaches need to tell him just to play (if they aren't already). Has x-factor but needs to do more simple things right.

The Cumberland Roller Coaster ride continues. Gets to the right spots, but then lets himself down with poor execution or a lack of competing for the ball and when not in possession he oftentimes fails to immediately switch into the defensive side and that allows his opponent to get that break that allows them to set up the rebounding opportunity. Still I wouldn't be dropping him just yet. I'd be comfortable with him playing through until the bye at least and giving him that time to adjust to the change in tempo from VFL to AFL as he is about 85-90% there, it is just those little things that are holding him back.

He'd be in the bottom 5% of the AFL as far as skills. (someone will bring out a stat but the naked eye doesn't lie)

Do we perservere? Not sure. We hardly have an excess of forwards, but I can't see it ending well.

Where are the test results to back up your “low footy IQ”comment.

It’s about pointing out the similarities of the two games of Cumbos man being able to wrack up insane amounts of ball mostly from uncontested marks

Means Cumbo is still not giving the player he is assigned the respect they deserve
What is this assumption of being assigned to. Backman take forwards not the other way round. Cumberland got up and down the ground and got involved, Ridley wasn't on him then but sat back behind play and intercepted because in our wisdom we dropped Young and Balta had to go back. Left us with one tall given that Ryan was a scarecrow out there. Ridley would have spend more time playing deep and going where he liked, why do you assume it was Cumberland's job to mark him. There are 6 forwards who's job it was to mark him, but somehow Cumberland is carrying the can.

The Cumberland Roller Coaster ride continues. Gets to the right spots, but then lets himself down with poor execution or a lack of competing for the ball and when not in possession he oftentimes fails to immediately switch into the defensive side and that allows his opponent to get that break that allows them to set up the rebounding opportunity. Still I wouldn't be dropping him just yet. I'd be comfortable with him playing through until the bye at least and giving him that time to adjust to the change in tempo from VFL to AFL as he is about 85-90% there, it is just those little things that are holding him back.

Noah, out of selection favour preseason; injury ravaged season Combo can't get a game until Round 9; Dusty back in form.

I am a fan of the kid but my guess is he's dropped and delisted.
Mansell resigned for 2 years, will walk in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't necessarily want Cumberland out this week. If the selectors like his pressure and can live with his errors then I certainly can. The forward line functioned pretty well last night, and that is the main thing. Did Cumberland's pressure allow Martin and Bolton to cut loose a bit? If so, I am fine with him, for now. But only as a pressure forward and he needs to get better at halving marking contests. Being undersized is not something he gets off the hook for, if your role is to stop Ridley intercepting then you have to be judged on how you perform that role. When Lynch returns, we are likely to have Lefau playing that role, and he will be a lot better at it than Cumbo. So Cumberland will need to win a spot v the likes of Graham, Campbell, Mansell, Maurice...and they are all better at it than him, which of course is why they were constantly selected ahead of him.

Fair call cant dispute much of that but graham is not a forward ever see him out bustle his opponent one on one or rove a pack or add to speed in and around the forward line.
He is pure and simple a mid but lacks a yard. His one wood is he hits the packs hard, tackles and applies pressure mostly around stoppages.

Campbell should stay away from that forward line. He was goalless previous 7 weeks. Up around the wings that's where he belongs, liked his game last night. Mansell is competing with junior and id have junior over Mansell everyday of the week.

As mentioned re Mansell don't doubt his hardness at the footy and is a runner but he just doesnt have forward craft and 6 goals from his 9 games tells you that. Play him mid (tagger) or as a lock down defender.

I think his footy iq is fine, he just can't kick straight anymore, either at goal or in play.

I think his footy iq is fine, he just can't kick straight anymore, either at goal or in play.

Not sure if that's a confidence thing but as a Cumbo supporter needs to straighten that up or he'll find himself back into the ressies. I would still however give him a few more games as others have received when playing mediocre games. Only had 2 full games. Last week v lions was our best small forward and last night was just so so.

His direct opponent walking away with BOG doesn't bode well for him although it's hard to know whether our lack of forward line played a part in that. At the very least you'd like to not see him be a spectator to Ridley's endless intercepts.

One technical thing I've noticed is he always wants to keep 2 hands on the ball in traffic and when breaking tackles. It makes it really easy to get him HTB as all you need to do is rip your arms down to spill the ball free (see 12.55 left Q2 which should've been HTB, 9.34 left Q4 as well). It also makes it harder for him to break tackles.

Cumbo that night kicked 3 more than i can say about other players up forward. By memory Van Rooyen was the difference in the end booting 3. Hibbard had 23 disposals but you gotta remember Cumbo was playing like his 10-12th game.

His direct opponent walking away with BOG doesn't bode well for him although it's hard to know whether our lack of forward line played a part in that. At the very least you'd like to not see him be a spectator to Ridley's endless intercepts.

One technical thing I've noticed is he always wants to keep 2 hands on the ball in traffic and when breaking tackles. It makes it really easy to get him HTB as all you need to do is rip your arms down to spill the ball free (see 12.55 left Q2 which should've been HTB, 9.34 left Q4 as well). It also makes it harder for him to break tackles.

It's not hard to know. Ridley is a good player and at 195cm dwarfs Cumberland.

We only had Lefau forward with 8 games experience and Ryan was useless.

We had no match up for Ridley and it's hardly Cumberland's fault we lost. He set up KMac's goal iirc and should keep his spot. We have bigger problems in Short, Ryan etc

Meh, really wanted him to slot that goal early from 40 Infront but once he sprayed it I wasn't surprised.
Think we all want him to come good but I reckon he is mentally ****ed. Dimma has destroyed this guy in early 2023 that he now over analyses everything.
Can't see him getting a new contract, best case rookie listed but more likely delisted.

cumbo shouldn't have to "play a role" on a dude 12cm taller than him, it's not even what his skillset is close to

sure "be a team player" and all but once yze saw it wasn't working, why didn't he change it up? i thought people on here were saying he was excellent in game day decisions, but didn't account for ridley or have an answer for ridley, because i don't think having lefau as our only tall is a good game plan with dusty/cumbo as our 2nd/3rd tall. sure ryan is in the fwd line for 5 minutes of every quarter but that ain't enough

after the vfl performance we gotta let the GOAT kosi play down back and swing balta back fwd so cumbo doesn't have to negate an inspector gadget type operator, and so baltas classic fumbles don't cough up direct goals, instead he can fumble in the fwd line and the rest of the team can fail to stop the goal from transition

and i agree, keep playing him cos if he doesn't make it at least we'll have a better shot at pick 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back