Past #39: Flynn Perez - drafted w/ #39 in 2019 ND - 2x ACL - delisted end '23 - 24 NM games / 1 NM goals - thanks Flynn

Remove this Banner Ad

Quality of surgery? WTF? You think people are heading to Cambodia to get cheap knee recons?
No, but I'm assuming that a club's insurance and resources help ensure that player's get access to better surgeons than a 17 year old relying on their parents can. Not to mention the rehab support and guidance.

No, but I'm assuming that a club's insurance and resources help ensure that player's get access to better surgeons than a 17 year old relying on their parents can. Not to mention the rehab support and guidance.

The TAC cup doesn't have a quality insurance program?

I reckon the negative prognosis of these outcomes is more related to significant structural issues whilst young athletes bodies are still growing.

Quality of surgery? WTF? You think people are heading to Cambodia to get cheap knee recons?

Not saying this is the norm, but in my experience some surgeons are better than others. I've experienced it with ENT's after multiple ear and sinus operations. The 2nd surgeon's response to my first surgery was "I don't understand what he/she was doing in there, I hate to say this to you but they've made it worse than what it already was"

A mate of mine went through the public system for an orthopaedic surgery on a ruptured Patella tendon. The initial surgery looked like it had been completed with an ice cream scoop. End result was he had to cough up and go through a private surgeon to get the issues rectified.

The TAC cup doesn't have a quality insurance program?

I reckon the negative prognosis of these outcomes is more related to significant structural issues whilst young athletes bodies are still growing.

If they use the standard insurance the same as local levels then it's pretty ordinary.

But one of the triage questions they ask when allocating a surgeon (many who work privately and publicly) is whether you are an athlete, so they can allocate more skilled surgeons.

If he went private and if he had private insurance then he probably had his choice of surgeon, and many of those surgeons don't work exclusively for professional athletes.

Not saying this is the norm, but in my experience some surgeons are better than others. I've experienced it with ENT's after multiple ear and sinus operations. The 2nd surgeon's response to my first surgery was "I don't understand what he/she was doing in there, I hate to say this to you but they've made it worse than what it already was"

A mate of mine went through the public system for an orthopaedic surgery on a ruptured Patella tendon. The initial surgery looked like it had been completed with an ice cream scoop. End result was he had to cough up and go through a private surgeon to get the issues rectified.
I'm no doctor but my guess is ear and throat is a little more difficult than a knee recon. I was lucky, I had a top surgeon do my knee recon (he was Wildcats and Aussie Olympic Doc) yet it snapped again. That said, it snapped 25 years after the op! With Perez it all depends on where it snapped. Plus, surely a 17 year old looking at getting drafted is getting the correct advise on which surgeon to have.

Might have a lot to do with growth, they’re still kids at that stage and the body can do some weird things when it’s still growing.

Significant structural issues between 14-18 are never good.

You're better off getting them at 25.

Indeed. I'd place him in the "will he play 50 games" pile.

I remember seeing some data on young 2 x ACL athletes a while back and it wasn't an encouraging outlook.

Plan for the worst & hope for the best.
This is the thing with expectations around here, many having comden and Perez lining up in our best 22 round 1, when the actual fact is they are still kids finding their feet and hopefully a body that can stand up to the rigours of big league footy. Let's revisit them in 12 months, and hope they have some degree of luck with the progress

This is the thing with expectations around here, many having comden and Perez lining up in our best 22 round 1, when the actual fact is they are still kids finding their feet and hopefully a body that can stand up to the rigours of big league footy. Let's revisit them in 12 months, and hope they have some degree of luck with the progress

Yes, but just because they are young and inexperienced, doesn’t necessarily confirm that they weren’t best 22.

Perez was on exposed form, Comben was in best 22’s due to lack of any other options in a development year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have hit the nail on the head. Early overhype gets overblown around here, and the flipside of that coin is that some of the blokes who go on to have solid careers without superstardom then get whipped for it.

You have hit the nail on the head. Early overhype gets overblown around here, and the flipside of that coin is that some of the blokes who go on to have solid careers without superstardom then get whipped for it.
ha ha ha...

He'll be better than Shaun Burgoyne.

I'm encouraged that his sharp jump in size & condition over the course of a single pre-season can see him arrive on the scene relatively early.

X factor oozes out of every pore in his body.

He's a million miles away from mural status.
as I said King Corey all he has to do is stop being so hypocritical.

If he was in the system he should of had access to top surgeons, well at least in WA they do.

Article in the Bendigo Addy about Flynn staying positive

APRIL 14 2021 - 3:44PM
Flynn Perez staying positive
  • KIERAN ILES
Local Sport
BACK TO GRASSROOTS: North Melbourne's Flynn Perez lends his experience and support to children at St Therese's Primary School on Wednesday. Picture: NONI HYETT

BACK TO GRASSROOTS: North Melbourne's Flynn Perez lends his experience and support to children at St Therese's Primary School on Wednesday. Picture: NONI HYETT

BENDIGO'S Flynn Perez is vowing to remain upbeat despite his second AFL season with North Melbourne coming to a heartbreaking end last month.

The 19-year-old relished a return to grassroots on Wednesday, taking charge of a football clinic involving students from St Therese's Primary School in Kennington at Ewing Park.

Perez, who played three games in his debut season for the Kangaroos in 2020, was ruled out for the season after suffering a second serious knee injury at training last month.

He previously underwent a knee reconstruction in 2019, forcing him to miss all of his top-age year with Bendigo Pioneers.

r0_290_5568_3422_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Flynn Perez (right) with his good mate and current Bendigo Pioneers star Sam Conforti. Picture: NONI HYETT

Despite another setback, Perez said he was determined to stay positive as he contemplates another lengthy stint on the sidelines.

"It's an interesting job being an AFL footballer, you do really go through the highs and the lows, from playing last year and doing the pre-season to being quickly out for the season," he said.

"It's unfortunate and disappointing, and not taking anything away from that, I'm staying motivated. I'm only 19 and still have plenty of football ahead of me.

"I showed last year that at this level, if I get fit I can have an impact.

"It is hard, but at the end of the day I just try and keep things in perspective. Especially helping with these school kids, it puts everything in perspective."

Perez, a former Sandhurst junior, who played one senior game for the Dragons in early 2018, said it was another former Bendigo Pioneer Robbie Tarrant, who had been among his biggest supporters while sidelined, and from who he had drawn plenty of inspiration.

Flynn Perez

"He's been exceptional, in his first four years (in the AFL) he played about four games, so there are plenty of guys who have gone through it," he said.

"It does get pretty lonely in rehab at times, and there are a few in rehab at North at the moment.
"Robbie has been great. I went to his house for dinner the other night and he has just reassured me that I'm not the only one going through it and that at the end of the day I will get through it."

Only a few years removed from the NAB League system, Perez has watched on with plenty of interest and pride in the Pioneers' impressive 2-0 start to the season.

For the first time in 20 years, the Pioneers head the ladder after two or more rounds.

"You look at how quickly things can change with the Pioneers, being 2-0, hopefully, that's how it can be for North Melbourne in time," Perez said.

"It's really exciting, Danny O'Bree is doing a great job at the Pioneers, led by guys like Sam Conforti, Cooper Smith and Jack Evans, who have been in the program for many years now.

"It helps having those 19-year-olds there to help out the young guys.

"I'm pretty bullish about the Pios this year. "
Perez was only too happy to help out his good mate and current Pioneers leadership group member Conforti on Wednesday by volunteering his time to help put aspiring St Therese's footballers through their paces.

"My little cousin Raph Perez is in St Therese's grade six, so I thought I would come down and have a look and help the kids out," he said.

"It's been refreshing; I always get a lot out of helping younger players.

"I didn't actually play for St Therese's, it;'s enemy territory a bit, I was a St Killian's kid and always playing against them.

"But it's fun, you get a lot out of seeing kids improve and if it's a put a smile on their face it's a big win."

• KIERAN ILES
Local Sport
BACK TO GRASSROOTS: North Melbourne's Flynn Perez lends his experience and support to children at St Therese's Primary School on Wednesday. Picture: NONI HYETT's Flynn Perez lends his experience and support to children at St Therese's Primary School on Wednesday. Picture: NONI HYETT

BENDIGO'S Flynn Perez is vowing to remain upbeat despite his second AFL season with North Melbourne coming to a heartbreaking end last month.

The 19-year-old relished a return to grassroots on Wednesday, taking charge of a football clinic involving students from St Therese's Primary School in Kennington at Ewing Park.

Perez, who played three games in his debut season for the Kangaroos in 2020, was ruled out for the season after suffering a second serious knee injury at training last month.

He previously underwent a knee reconstruction in 2019, forcing him to miss all of his top-age year with Bendigo Pioneers.

Flynn Perez (right) with his good mate and current Bendigo Pioneers star Sam Conforti. Picture: NONI HYETT

Despite another setback, Perez said he was determined to stay positive as he contemplates another lengthy stint on the sidelines.

"It's an interesting job being an AFL footballer, you do really go through the highs and the lows, from playing last year and doing the pre-season to being quickly out for the season," he said.

"It's unfortunate and disappointing, and not taking anything away from that, I'm staying motivated. I'm only 19 and still have plenty of football ahead of me.

"It is hard, but at the end of the day I just try and keep things in perspective. Especially helping with these school kids, it puts everything in perspective."

Perez, a former Sandhurst junior, who played one senior game for the Dragons in early 2018, said it was another former Bendigo Pioneer Robbie Tarrant, who had been among his biggest supporters while sidelined, and from who he had drawn plenty of inspiration.

"He's been exceptional, in his first four years (in the AFL) he played about four games, so there are plenty of guys who have gone through it," he said.

"It does get pretty lonely in rehab at times, and there are a few in rehab at North at the moment.
"Robbie has been great. I went to his house for dinner the other night and he has just reassured me that I'm not the only one going through it and that at the end of the day I will get through it."

Only a few years removed from the NAB League system, Perez has watched on with plenty of interest and pride in the Pioneers' impressive 2-0 start to the season.

For the first time in 20 years, the Pioneers head the ladder after two or more rounds.

"You look at how quickly things can change with the Pioneers, being 2-0, hopefully, that's how it can be for North Melbourne in time," Perez said.

"It's really exciting, Danny O'Bree is doing a great job at the Pioneers, led by guys like Sam Conforti, Cooper Smith and Jack Evans, who have been in the program for many years now.

Perez was only too happy to help out his good mate and current Pioneers leadership group member Conforti on Wednesday by volunteering his time to help put aspiring St Therese's footballers through their paces.

"My little cousin Raph Perez is in St Therese's grade six, so I thought I would come down and have a look and help the kids out," he said.

"I didn't actually play for St Therese's, it;'s enemy territory a bit, I was a St Killian's kid and always playing against them.

"But it's fun, you get a lot out of seeing kids improve and if it's a put a smile on their face it's a big win."
I love that part about Robbie having him around for dinner.

• KIERAN ILES
Local Sport
BACK TO GRASSROOTS: North Melbourne's Flynn Perez lends his experience and support to children at St Therese's Primary School on Wednesday. Picture: NONI HYETT's Flynn Perez lends his experience and support to children at St Therese's Primary School on Wednesday. Picture: NONI HYETT

No North jumpers amongst the kids - message there I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back