Player Watch #39 Jack Buller

Remove this Banner Ad

The 22-year old, 199cm is a key forward/ruck and has had some standout performances in the WAFL this year and recently represented WA in the WA v SA representative match. A known goal kicker as well as his solid ruck skills, he was also part of the AFL Academy in 2018.

Buller came through the WA pathway system with current Swans young stars Chad Warner and Logan McDonald and all three were part of the 2019 Western Australian National Championship winning side.

We finally have a potential monster power forward who is athletic also.

We have not had one since Barry Hall days.

Good Luck to Jack

Hopefully he grabs the opportunity and works really hard and becomes as dominant as Barry H was at his peak.

I love the mix of forwards we have now

Each unique skills

"Jack has always been around the scene being in the WAFL program and AFL Academy in 2018 but he has got himself really fit and taken his football to a higher level. Don Pyke has strong connections in the WAFL and with Claremont and we heard he was in very good form. He can also go into the ruck, he competes really hard - that was one of the key things we liked about him as a key forward and a ruckman."

"Mum, can we get Harry McKay?"

"We've got Harry McKay at home."

Go well son.

Good on him for recognising his shortcomings and what was needed to be better.

It's tempting to have low expectations of these mid-season draftees.

Honestly the lowest of bars for Buller to pass would just be a serviceable depth forward who can provide some much-needed forward structure in our VFL team. Anything more than that would be a bonus.

The dream? He ends up like Nick Larkey (Pick 73), Taylor Walker (Pick 75) or Mitch Lewis (Pick 76)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Schofield reckons Buller was his toughest match-up in the WAFL.

High praise from someone who’d certainly know.

Good on him for recognising his shortcomings and what was needed to be better.

It's tempting to have low expectations of these mid-season draftees.

Honestly the lowest of bars for Buller to pass would just be a serviceable depth forward who can provide some much-needed forward structure in our VFL team. Anything more than that would be a bonus.

The dream? He ends up like Nick Larkey (Pick 73), Taylor Walker (Pick 75) or Mitch Lewis (Pick 76)

I think Taylor Walker was rated higher than that but he went under the NSW Scholarships Scheme.

He might be a chance of getting an AFL game later in the season once he settles in. We seem to prefer 3 talls in the forward line, so there is an opportunity.

Might also help our VFL structure to have at least one big key forward. Could be good for the development of guys like Hall-Kahan, Magor and Konstanty to be able to crumb off a tall forward in the reserves.

Last edited:
The Big Bull coming to an SCG near you

Cartoon Hello GIF by Looney Tunes

I actually forgot how much of a short term need, a ruck/forward was for the mid season draft.

Unless Amartey gets back on schedule. It seems like it is Franklin/McLean with possibly McAndrew as a 2nd ruck or using someone like Francis forward.

Although I don't know if they would throw Buller straight in without a few weeks of training with the team and VFL games. But it is probably easier to come in as the 3rd tall and play a role rather than straight into defence as one of the main KPDs.

Think there will be definitely opportunities for him very soon. With logan, Reid and amartey out for the long term, buddy will no doubt miss games plus he's a genuine fwd/2nd ruck option.

He will be playing in the seniors very soon
Amartey will return straight after the break. Logan not so unfortunately. I can see him, Amartey and McLean monstering defences.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back