4 from 6 - Rucks and KPF

Remove this Banner Ad

By the way, if I had a single wish for our side next year it would be for Harry and Charlie to get a good run at it. I'd simply love to see what they could do individually and combined with, say, 20 games together. They really could be a devastating combination. On their day, either could make a gigantic mess of many "second" defenders going around. And with 20+ games to build fitness, form and cohesion, I think they will have more days that are "their day".
Agreed. Did we let sav rocca go though? Id be bringing him back pronto as set shots are our biggest weakness

Realistically every team in the league needs more tall forward options than they would ever be able to field in a single side. Due to the bash and crash nature of the position it's almost certain that some players will miss due to injury (especially ours where Govs, McKay and Curnow have shown to not be durable).

Assuming all fit, I think it's a McKay, Curnow, McGovern and Levi forward line with Pitto in the ruck. Though this is also projecting that there will be a VFL/Eastern football league setup for TDK to play the early part of the season and get match practice as the main ruckman expected to play at least 70% time in that position. The logic here is that McKay is too valuable an asset to put in the ruck, that Charlie and McGovern are good enough athletes to not make our forward line feel immobile and that Levi is at his very best as a 70-30 forward-ruck role (he seems to like being able to get his hand on the ball early, does his confidence a world of good). Would also happily swap out Govs for JSOS as it provides similar flexibility.

Ruck, Pittonet
Forwards, Charlie, Harry, TDK
Bench, Gov

I think that combination in the forward line would cause major headaches for any defence. Strong marking, athleticism.....

Ruck, Pittonet
Forwards, Charlie, Harry, TDK
Bench, Gov

I agree with this 100% but I suspect Teague will have Levi in the team somewhere. So it is more likely to be either Pittonet or TDk in the ruck with Levi as the 2nd ruck forward option.

I think what we do is the most intriguing aspect of team selection and will have a big impact on how far we go next year. I hope we never play Charlie, Harry, Gov and 2nd ruck on the ground in the forward line at the one time. Despite people saying they are mobile a team like Richmond would just run the ball from one end of the ground in the blink of an eye.

I can't wait to see what happens in this space. I just hope injuries don't prevent us from finding out what Teague has in mind.

McGovern probably misses. Loads of talent but seems to have limited nouse to only playing a few roles. Unless out of the blue he gets better at playing second and third fiddle and pushing up the ground. Maybe we could throw him in the ruck a bit, I don't know, the guy needs to learn the game as a third tall option.

Mckay, Curnow are non negotiables. TDK will be better than Pittonett but not sure when. Soon. Someone like Silvagni who has the smarts to play multiple roles and contribute at both ground level and in the air gets the nod over McGovern IMO. He just does a lot more and can play that 3rd option role.

McKay may have to ruck a bit and play full forward. Get bigger, play deeper, ruck a little.

I think a TDK 80/20 and McKay 20/80 split solves a lot of problems going forward.

Then Curnow playing CHF with Silvagni rotating with Cripps for forward/midfield time.

Cas and Gov I dont see playing a major part going forward. Those are the four Id like to see play regularly and gain a rhythm with each other. Cas retires, a great clubman who served the club to the best of his abilities. Gov trade/delist, whatever.

Cas plays until TDK is ready for the full time responsibility of the ruck/fwd role.

Reckon Pitto will get first crack at it against the bigger crash and bash types like Mumford, Goldstein and Shanknervous while TDK will play against the more mobile types like NicNat, English and Grundy. We have the flexibility to pick and choose the best type to beat the opposition.

Harry and Charlie must play forward.

Probably leaves McGovern to fight for a spot or wait until he is needed for injury cover.

Would almost like the TDK/Cas combo as our first choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruck - TDK.

IMO Pitto struggles against more mobile rucks and TDK has shown he can at least match them, but, can also jump over bigger guys like Brody and Mummy which is a win for me.

Kid gets first shot because the more speed and mobility we have across each line the better. IMO English isn't a good comparison as he has nowhere near the jump and mobility as TDK so I think TDK has more tools to deal with different rucks.

Forwards - Curnow, McKay, Levi, McGovern.

The first two for obvious reasons as I think they could be something really special for the Baggers for a long, long time, they just need games to build continuity.

Next, I have gone with Cas mainly due to his truly unique flexibility, people all see the obvious forward/ruck role, which he's perfect for especially if a young TDK is given the first shot.

But why I think he's a must is because if we're ever in the horrible position of losing Weiters or Jones mid- game we could slot Levi straight in down back, and we know he would do the job, big bonus.

I've then selected McGovern, as no matter how bad he was late this year I still see him as having a unique skillset, jump, speed, accurate kick and, aggression. Am willing to give him another go and hope that he can have a great pre-season, the penny drops and he becomes a vital link.

This at this stage it's more hope than anything else with McGovern, but if he can put it together, it could give us a young, scary forward line for years to come

McGovern probably misses. Loads of talent but seems to have limited nouse to only playing a few roles. Unless out of the blue he gets better at playing second and third fiddle and pushing up the ground. Maybe we could throw him in the ruck a bit, I don't know, the guy needs to learn the game as a third tall option.

Mckay, Curnow are non negotiables. TDK will be better than Pittonett but not sure when. Soon. Someone like Silvagni who has the smarts to play multiple roles and contribute at both ground level and in the air gets the nod over McGovern IMO. He just does a lot more and can play that 3rd option role.

McKay may have to ruck a bit and play full forward. Get bigger, play deeper, ruck a little.
Be nice if our mids honoured his leads once in a while rather than kicking it over his head. He has been (mostly) making leads into space. Ball keeps going over his head onto CAS/Harry's heads.

He marks and converts one or two of those a game and no one is complaining.

I do agree he needs to pull his finger out a bit, but I don't think he has been that bad for most of the season.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would like to see Harry ruck 20 to 30 percent of the time as a chop out and be quicker around the ground. Even soft c*** Daniher rucked this year!

As a result:

* TDK or Pitto ruck first, Pitto to the bench if he isn’t rucking, TDK rolls forward or rests
* Harry chops out
* Charlie and Gov as permanent forwards
* Kemp as third tall/utility
* Cas as break glass in case of emergency.

Allows us to have a quicker forward line: Fish and Eddie + 1 and allow the capacity for Cripps to roll forward at time because he will work on being a goal kicker in the off season. He will hate seeing that weakness in his game and work to rectify it!

Be nice if our mids honoured his leads once in a while rather than kicking it over his head. He has been (mostly) making leads into space. Ball keeps going over his head onto CAS/Harry's heads.

He marks and converts one or two of those a game and no one is complaining.

I do agree he needs to pull his finger out a bit, but I don't think he has been that bad for most of the season.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Could be the issue perhaps.

Could be the issue perhaps.
Definitely part of it.

1) Someone like 2m, Harry McKay is always going to attract attention and the lion's share of targets
2) Our delivery in 2020 has been ...mixed...given it's usually Ed kicking i50 and/or a player under pressure going long

If we lowered our eyes and had a Sammo or Williams or Betts finding the leading McGovern that would help

McGovern from highlights does have the ability to take big grabs though, that was missing this year. He needs to do more. Much more. And he seems to go in and out of games being unsighted for long periods.

Its not all his fault but end of the day he was poor this year and as a guy in his prime really cant use age as an excuse for inconsistency.

TDK Rucks

When he is on then bench Liam Jones rucks (198cm and athletic as *)

Marchbank takes the other key defensive post

I liked the way Geelong went about it last night. Stanley as primary ruck and Blicavs and Hawkins as secondary ruck/forward, ruck/mid respectively. Big Tom in particular monstered Brisbane.

So, using that:
Pitto as primary ruck.
TDK and Harry as secondary rucks resting forward. (Could TDK grow into that ruck/mid role, like Kreuzer/ Blicavs?)
Levi as list depth (ideally replacing TDK or Harry if injured).
Curnow as roaming half-forward using his speed, tank and body.
McGovern is a third tall and needs to be played as such so we can work out his value.

With injuries and rotations I don't think you're going to see four of the above in the F50 that often.

If we pick up Wines or Oliver it changes the format of our current forward structure as the club has been stating for 3 years Cripps will be able to spend more time forward .
Further putting pressure on Mcgovern and Jack if he is still at the club to perform .

I for one am salivating at the prospect of a Mckay Curnow and Cripps forward set up for up to 40 % game time .

I cant see Casboult replicating his last 2 years he was suffering from injury second half of this year on a 1 year contract he is now backup with TDK now getting first crack at the second ruck if Pitto is nominated as 1st ruck which i think he will at start of next year .
Mcgovern is not in my calculations which most likely will not happen as he's a Teague favorite but if he is in its backline or nothing for mine .
Pitto first ruck.
Charlie Harry and TDK the 3 forward with TDK and Pitto also alternating bench with Jack alternating with Cripps as the 3rd tall when TDK is off ground and Pitto in ruck .
Harry also needs to be able to take some forwardline ruck contests when TDK is off the ground .
Jack ahead of Mcgovern because he can alternate with Cripps as Mcgovern isnt fitting enough to do so .
Club really has cornered themselves with Mcgoverns poor form will be very interesting to see what they do if he still doesnt live up to the hype again next year .

I liked the way Geelong went about it last night. Stanley as primary ruck and Blicavs and Hawkins as secondary ruck/forward, ruck/mid respectively. Big Tom in particular monstered Brisbane.

So, using that:
Pitto as primary ruck.
TDK and Harry as secondary rucks resting forward. (Could TDK grow into that ruck/mid role, like Kreuzer/ Blicavs?)
Levi as list depth (ideally replacing TDK or Harry if injured).
Curnow as roaming half-forward using his speed, tank and body.
McGovern is a third tall and needs to be played as such so we can work out his value.

With injuries and rotations I don't think you're going to see four of the above in the F50 that often.
Doubt TDK will ever have the tank to play as blicavs does. Blicavs iirc is the best runner at geelong...essentially their ed curnow.

(Could TDK grow into that ruck/mid role, like Kreuzer/ Blicavs?)
Already shown signs of it IMO.

Except, as J08 pointed out above, he doesn't have the freak tank of a Blicavs. So I see him more of a ruck that becomes an extra mid at ground level ala Kreuzer rather than an extra dedicated mid like Blicavs seems to play like sometimes.

If TDK could learn having hands half as good as levi he becomes a lock for the third forward spot. The rest if the package he brings is so rare, just needs to iron out this one area.
He’s hands from watching him in VFL games have been very good both marking and on the ground which has been surprising with the easy marks his missed, maybe the humid/slippery conditions may have been a factor... No doubt we will see his strong marking back and improved next season, he’ll sit on some heads too and take some rippers... He should mainly play as our #1 ruckman most of the year with different combinations of support depending on club opponents, his still another 12mths of development before shouldering most of the load on a weekly basis...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back