Roast 4 goals, 17 behinds.

Remove this Banner Ad

It astounds me that other supporters expect accuracy when we continually kick the ball into the forward pockets and therefore have tough shots on goal. Aside from McCarthy's miss and Cloke's miss( although you can never be sure with his kicking anyway) the rest of the points were the logical outcome from avoiding the corridor.

With our game plan it will be continually be the case.
Could not agree more if Micheal Mouse spent only half as much time developing our forwards as he does on the backline then we might be a truly formidible team.

We should be 3-0, instead we are 2-1, and once again accuracy (or more like inaccuracy) has cost us a win again.:thumbsdown::mad:
To be fair, we should be 2-1 with a loss to Melbourne. ;)

Could not agree more if Micheal Mouse spent only half as much time developing our forwards as he does on the backline then we might be a truly formidible team.

Malthouse referred to the forward line as the 'lingerie section' in Side by Side. I don't think he considers it very important, which is very weird because the forward line not functioning has caused more of our losses than the midfield and backline not functioning combined.

That's bullshit.
One side willed themself to win through more determination and class , while the other side threw in the towel. They were up against it more than us.

Your post is spot on,unfortunately.

We didn't kick a goal from general play, when was the last time that happened. 2 from marks and 2 from frees iirc.

That is rather terrible, missing everytime shot on goal when there is even a slight amount of pressure.

With the small forwards we have, for me, this is what was most concerning.

Lately we just seem to save up our crap kicking for goal when play the Saints:
2008 SF - 9.18 v the Saints (we had 6 extra scoring shots and lost by 34 points)
2009 Rd 7 - 5.10 v the Saints (just got totally smashed)
2009 QF - 7.10 v the Saints (3 less scoing shots but got beaten by 28 points)
2010 Rd 3 - 4.17 v the Saints (2 extra scoring shots and lost by 28 points)

So that makes 25.55 in the last 4 games v the Saints - pretty woeful. How do you expect to win.....:mad:

I can't believe how disgusting that goal kicking was. I watched it from home and had to check the scores on the internet when we got to 4.15. Lucky for me I spared myself the last 10 minutes of frustration watching another 2 points kicked. We played hard footy for 3 quarters. The game should have been over at 3/4 time. I don't know if we were stuffed or just thought they would lie down in the last quarter but you would have thought we were the team with only 2 on the bench and missing our number 1 player.
Exactly my thoughts, StK are a quantum leap above, I'm not sure whether it is class, player maturity or coaching but I believe it is mostly superior coaching - Ross Lyon is the next step in coaching building on other innovators like Roos, Craig and Clarkson's zone. As other posters have said, MM hasn't even figured out how to copy their styles after watching them for years, let alone counteract them.

Another worrying thing about the last quarter - in the past, collingwood teams were always able to stick to playing with belief and assertion even when being beaten in the last q.
People say they gave up in the last q, but they didn'tactually give up, they just were mentally crushed and reduced to playing reactive schoolboy footy like they knew they were inferior. They were, but a well drilled team will still play every play like they are winning and that used to be a great consolation when watching even weak woods teams, in previous years under MM and also under T Shaw.

Not a good sign but hopefully something that can be worked on.

I don't know if we actually had many shots at goal that weren't 50/50 at best.
The most frustrating thing is our inability to be willing to break the zone by hand. And if you have a poor field kicking night like we did our shots will only come from the pockets. But the way we kicked the ball is about what you'd expect in a final with that pressure. Not sure what to make of this game. We had control of 75% of the field for about 80% of the game. HAd Riewoldt covered when he was on, just let their backline pick off too many high balls. Poor field kicking was worse than anything.
Not sure the reason to play McCaffer though if he wasn't going to be used as a straight swap for Anthony, thought that destabilised our forward line

I find it hard to understand how when football became professional, every skill has increased except conversion for goal.

Do these "athletes" not spend time going through enough goal kicking simulation at training. These lads get paid very well to play a game where to score you need to kick a ball through two sticks however all of their efforts seem to be on rolling zones and not kicking through the big sticks.

Yes, under pressure players may shank a kick they would normally kick, however if they have practised going through the goal kicking motion enough then surely this conversion can improve.

If I was in charge this week I would have all players spending an hour every day doing nothing but kicking for goal.

Field kicking was just as poor. Our intensity was up, our skills were down across the ground. The 17 behinds is not a standalone poor area, our total kicking for the night was poor. The kick ins were poor, the kicking into the forward line was poor, and hence our conversion became poor. Just a really poor kicking night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Field kicking was just as poor. Our intensity was up, our skills were down across the ground. The 17 behinds is not a standalone poor area, our total kicking for the night was poor. The kick ins were poor, the kicking into the forward line was poor, and hence our conversion became poor. Just a really poor kicking night.

Thats bad news then because there's generally a lot of kicking in football! A lot of work needs to be done on skills me thinks.

Thats bad news then because there's generally a lot of kicking in football! A lot of work needs to be done on skills me thinks.

And hence a lot of sides have gone to more movement by hand because the zone eats up long kicking. There are 3 sides we will fail to beat unless we have an amazing kicking day and that is Geelong, St.Kilda, and Hawthorn. For god's sake, even Melbourne's zone killed us.
Feel sorry for Cloke, one on one he was smashing it against Dawson, but he will rarely get the luxury.

Interesting listening to Fox Sports this arvo, and a couple of commentators (foregt who now) talking about how you should never "give the goal away" when you aim for goal.

Watching the pies on Friday night, and other teams since, I'd say more then half of AFL players aim outside the 2 main goalposts and try and curl it back, using their so called "natural action" on the ball to bring it back.

Surely if your natural action is left to right, it would make sense to aim just inside the left goalpost, rather then outside.

Now I have no coaching accreditation or knowledge at all really, but how hard would it be to coach a team (every player) to aim inside the goalposts on approach.

I know there are exceptions (Franklin and Fev are the clearest) but can't we simply instruct our players to aim at the goals, rather then trying to "curve" it through.

Watching the pies on Friday night, and other teams since, I'd say more then half of AFL players aim outside the 2 main goalposts and try and curl it back, using their so called "natural action" on the ball to bring it back.

These commentators saying this are very stupid. Players aim inside goalpost as a general rule i.e. if a right footer was straight in front he'd aim inside the right goal post.
This was definitely what Nathan Buckley did as he often said and it was taught to him by Malcolm Blight back in Adelaide.

Learned nothing. Those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it's mistakes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back