VFL VFL Round 4 v Coburg @ Piranha Park - Sunday April 21, 1:05pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know if Ash still wants to be an AFL footballer.

He certainly isn't playing like it.

On paper we should have a good midfield but they were embarrassed

Macrae Sullivan Bytel Allan Richards need to step up. Apart from Allan they aren't kids anymore and should be performing strongly at this level week in week out if they want to have an AFL career.

I think Ash needs to not play until after the mid-season break. I would have him take a couple of weeks away from football and go see and spend time with family and friends.
When he returns, put him in a solid training block for a couple of weeks and have him resume after the mid-season break, hopefully refreshed and with a new desire for the game. He is too good a player to be playing at the level he is currently.

It’s hugely disappointing when you consider these same people praise Fly for his compassion which has been a major driver of our success.

These people are just so fickle.
But Fly still dropped Noble on the eve of the finals which clearly broke Johnny's heart. The team's performance comes ahead of any individual player's feelings. That's been the stone-cold truth in the D grade ressies in a churches comp through to the AFL. for as long as they have existed. I'd also suggest the teammates of a player whose mind seems distracted, or attitude poor, are worthy of consideration in this scenario too. Who would like rolling up each week not sure whether their teammate is going to go the extra mile to back him up or put his head over the ball when his turn comes? This attitude can spread through a team if it seems there are no consequences for displaying it on a consistent basis.

Nobody wants to criticize AJ. All of us were desperate for him to make it and become a regular member of the seniors. The fact that there are a number of critics is also a reflection of the disappointment many of us feel that a bloke with so much talent is wasting away in the Magoos.

You can feel great compassion for whatever it is that is affecting AJ and still make a professional judgement on his footy output on the ground each week. I've seen many players cop endless criticism on this forum (often justified) without this reflex leap to defend the player being critiqued or attack the poster for criticizing them.

Can someone please give me a quick summary of the best and worst players today? Thanks!

Best: markov by a fair bit, then TJ, bytel, Parker, hutch, dean all had moments. Macrae had 25 touches but was soundly beaten in the midfield. That’s the issue with him IMO, just doesn’t have a point of difference. I wonder if macrae can play on the wing, play to his strength which is link up.

expect/want more from: macrae, Allan

Parker was impressive for his first game. Long way to go, but good start.

Won’t make it: begg, carmy

Johnson plenty been said. Needs a break IMO.

We desperately need a ruck. Begg is getting soundly beaten and it’s having an impact at clearances.

MSD id prefer we take teakle. At worst he’s depth for 6months. And will help out mids at VFL level get the pill..

Last edited:
But Fly still dropped Noble on the eve of the finals which clearly broke Johnny's heart. The team's performance comes ahead of any individual player's feelings. That's been the stone-cold truth in the D grade ressies in a churches comp through to the AFL. for as long as they have existed. I'd also suggest the teammates of a player whose mind seems distracted, or attitude poor, are worthy of consideration in this scenario too. Who would like rolling up each week not sure whether their teammate is going to go the extra mile to back him up or put his head over the ball when his turn comes? This attitude can spread through a team if it seems there are no consequences for displaying it on a consistent basis.

Nobody wants to criticize AJ. All of us were desperate for him to make it and become a regular member of the seniors. The fact that there are a number of critics is also a reflection of the disappointment many of us feel that a bloke with so much talent is wasting away in the Magoos.

You can feel great compassion for whatever it is that is affecting AJ and still make a professional judgement on his footy output on the ground each week. I've seen many players cop endless criticism on this forum (often justified) without this reflex leap to defend the player being critiqued or attack the poster for criticizing them.
What don’t yet get about the fact there are extenuating circumstances with AJ.
It’s not simply a matter of a player out of form.
So I’m very comfortable with my condemnation of the unthinking critics.
I don’t normally make a stance where other out of form players have been criticized, because it’s a normal part of ebbs and flow of supporting a team.

This is entirely different.

As too the impact on the group - you completely misunderstand that it’s a very different environment under FLY - where the group would be very supportive and not disparaging of AJ.

300d455d3e763579da75416e7ef3ba15.jpg

dec99882762c8a93ee096c5e185f3562.jpg

0a960fa3e000710e33584ee18abce7ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best: markov by a fair bit, then TJ, bytel, Parker, hutch, dean all had moments. Macrae had 25 touches but was soundly beaten in the midfield. That’s the issue with him IMO, just doesn’t have a point of difference. I wonder if macrae can play on the wing, play to his strength which is link up.

expect/want more from: macrae, Allan

Parker was impressive for his first game. Long way to go, but good start.

Won’t make it: begg, carmy

Johnson plenty been said. Needs a break IMO.

We desperately need a ruck. Begg is getting soundly beaten and it’s having an impact at clearances.

MSD id prefer we take teakle. At worst he’s depth for 6months. And will help out mids at VFL level get the pill..
TJ made many poor decisions. He was absolutely not one of our best. Skills let him down, too.

Begg was terrible today once again. They gave up rucking him towards the end. No tank, either. Simply needs to go.

Johnson was a liability. Cooper MacDonald outplayed him.

Sullivan, Harrison, Sof needed. Ryan, Steene and Kreugs would be nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought TJ did some nice things, more so in the first half. Has some nice skills. But clearly will take some time. But there is something to work with
Jakob Ryan told a friend of mine he would be back next week. DeMattia will be back next week too. Kreuger probably too, so things arent too dire. We had a poor game, sometimes that happens with a young group. We'll be alright.

I thought TJ did some nice things, more so in the first half. Has some nice skills. But clearly will take some time. But there is something to work with
Jakob Ryan told a friend of mine he would be back next week. DeMattia will be back next week too. Kreuger probably too, so things arent too dire. We had a poor game, sometimes that happens with a young group. We'll be alright.
This was the worst performance we’ve had in years.

TJ has some skills but made some dumb decisions. Another one outplayed by Parker.

Don't know if Ash still wants to be an AFL footballer.

He certainly isn't playing like it.

On paper we should have a good midfield but they were embarrassed

Macrae Sullivan Bytel Allan Richards need to step up. Apart from Allan they aren't kids anymore and should be performing strongly at this level week in week out if they want to have an AFL career.
Well Sullivan didn’t play so he’s immune from criticism.

Bytel was better, Macrae was average, Allan was on another planet in a bad way, Richards was quiet but he’s not a midfielder.

The team will be much stronger with Ryan, DeMattia, Kreuger, and 3 of Macrae/Sullivan/Harrison/McInnes back

The team will be much stronger with Ryan, DeMattia, Kreuger, and 3 of Macrae/Sullivan/Harrison/McInnes back
Its not all doom and gloom.

Our midfield is young and would be better to have a bigger body to help them. Just got outworked really. It happens.
Those players will help the team. Ned Long should have helped a lot more.

Looking forward to Demattia playing next week, and Ryan hopefully back too. It'll make our backline stronger, which means Glover can go forward, but he is suit a versatile swingman, he plays well in either position.

VFL VFL Round 4 v Coburg @ Piranha Park - Sunday April 21, 1:05pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back