VFL Round 1 v Sandringham @ RSEA Park. Friday March 22, 4:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The club did consider Schoenmaker last year.

I was told by a friend that a senior teacher involved in football and leadership was phoned to speak about the students that were being considered from the school. Character review was not great given he lasted less than a year at the school. The others landed on AFL lists with three year deals. Poor attitude in draft interviews didn’t help his case, either. It also went against our policy of character, which if you analyse the past three drafts is a characteristic we look for. One game isn’t a season but the things he has to work on are within his control. He was as fit as any player and has a booming boot. Good for territory, bad for efficiency.

Love how the biased commentators didn’t recognise the massive tailwind until the second quarter when Collingwood were kicking to that end…. For the first 20 minutes when Sandy dominated on the scoreboard they didn’t mention or even hint that they were kicking with a five goal breeze 😂😂😂

Yeah, but we're most unlikely to be a reigning premier this year, so it's a good time to take stock of what you haven't got and try to rectify it by attempting to win some hands with the poor cards we've dealt ourselves. A premiership will soon be a distant memory when we again find ourselves wallowing in mediocrity, or worse.

Next year will be even more of a struggle due to the detritus accumulating via our dad's army brigade reaching the end of their allotted time. Which is why we need Murphy to play on as he is relatively young and sprightly compared to the plethora of senior citizens in our ranks.

Meanwhile, let's see which of these young blokes can play. I think we have established that Johnson lacks the qualities that bring AFL success. I am still unconvinced by Allan, but he is only 19 with a couple of years to add the extra elements he requires to his game. Another loss this week to Brisbane, and the team floodgates will open to spill forth the fumblers and formless to restock from a shallow reserve pool of talent.
I'm sure we will bring in some young players this year when they're ready. They only played their first VFL match yesterday.

Reef & Fin played on Thursday for us. They'll be picked each week. Noble will likely come back in. Fly keeps mentioning Harvey, so he's not far away. Ryan debuted last year. We have the promise of TJ & Harry, they may not play this year,but they are part of our future. It's not all doom & gloom in the young player department.

We have a whole group of young players who are currently in the team.. Beau, IQ, Nick, Josh, Bobby..then a group of mid to late 20 year olds. I think people are getting a bit carried away with Pendles, Howe & Steele's form & all of a sudden it's the fault of our ageing players that we are playing so poorly. It's been players across the board who also haven't played to their normal standards including JDG, Crisp etc. One of our oldest players, Elliott played a great game on Thursday. Cameron is standing up every week & easily the better of the two rucks against the ageing Cox.

If we had been in a position to draft a couple of high picks, they would have played in our VFL side yesterday, not our seniors anyway. Clubs like North have no choice but to play their kids so early.

I like his chances to be a long term contributor. That’s as optimistic as I get for HH. He has a good list of attributes.

Agreed but he still needs to work on the defensive side of his game imho. Needs to add a touch of the Beau McCreery’s to his repertoire, especially in his chasing and repeat efforts.

Yeah, but we're most unlikely to be a reigning premier this year, so it's a good time to take stock of what you haven't got and try to rectify it by attempting to win some hands with the poor cards we've dealt ourselves. A premiership will soon be a distant memory when we again find ourselves wallowing in mediocrity, or worse.

Next year will be even more of a struggle due to the detritus accumulating via our dad's army brigade reaching the end of their allotted time. Which is why we need Murphy to play on as he is relatively young and sprightly compared to the plethora of senior citizens in our ranks.

Meanwhile, let's see which of these young blokes can play. I think we have established that Johnson lacks the qualities that bring AFL success. I am still unconvinced by Allan, but he is only 19 with a couple of years to add the extra elements he requires to his game. Another loss this week to Brisbane, and the team floodgates will open to spill forth the fumblers and formless to restock from a shallow reserve pool of talent.

We’ll be the reigning premier until the final whistle GF day.

Not getting the “Noble has to play seniors” rhetoric. The same flaws with his disposal were on show again yesterday as we’ve seen at senior level and given we’ve been so badly burned on turnover the last thing I won’t in the team is a player who has a negative impact on ball retention. Love his enthusiasm but seriously needs to address his ball use before he gets another senior gig imho.

Not getting the “Noble has to play seniors” rhetoric. The same flaws with his disposal were on show again yesterday as we’ve seen at senior level and given we’ve been so badly burned on turnover the last thing I won’t in the team is a player who has a negative impact on ball retention. Love his enthusiasm but seriously needs to address his ball use before he gets another senior gig imho.
I think he should play but agree he’s not an automatic in for Markov. He has plenty of faults as you rightly point out. I think he’s our best option for the moment but Ryan could pass them both soon enough.

He was a beast

Good size mid is Ned Long. Loved his pressure around the ball, and as by the stats, obviously laid some big tackles, and can find the footy.
I knew he was training with us at some point during the pre-season. I wonder if he was seriously considered for a SSP spot?

I'm sure we will bring in some young players this year when they're ready. They only played their first VFL match yesterday.

Reef & Fin played on Thursday for us. They'll be picked each week. Noble will likely come back in. Fly keeps mentioning Harvey, so he's not far away. Ryan debuted last year. We have the promise of TJ & Harry, they may not play this year,but they are part of our future. It's not all doom & gloom in the young player department.

We have a whole group of young players who are currently in the team.. Beau, IQ, Nick, Josh, Bobby..then a group of mid to late 20 year olds. I think people are getting a bit carried away with Pendles, Howe & Steele's form & all of a sudden it's the fault of our ageing players that we are playing so poorly. It's been players across the board who also haven't played to their normal standards including JDG, Crisp etc. One of our oldest players, Elliott played a great game on Thursday. Cameron is standing up every week & easily the better of the two rucks against the ageing Cox.

If we had been in a position to draft a couple of high picks, they would have played in our VFL side yesterday, not our seniors anyway. Clubs like North have no choice but to play their kids so early.
I was thinking more of next year as the glass half full in me has already written us off for this year - well. if we lose to Brisbane it certainly will. Chaps who are getting long in the tooth this year will be stating to prop their canines up with splints next year. You mention Pendles, Howe and Steele, all playing poorly now and fumbling. OK they will regain some poise and touch and give us better service, but where will their bodies be at next year? Really this is our window of opportunity, but it looks to be closing early. The older blokes are going to start dropping off like drunks aboard a cruise ship bereft of deck rails.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he should play but agree he’s not an automatic in for Markov. He has plenty of faults as you rightly point out. I think he’s our best option for the moment but Ryan could pass them both soon enough.
Didn't see much from Ryan yesterday. Probably more impressed with Jiath but then again his distinctive blackness does tend to catch the eye more than simply a number on the back of a jumper.

I was thinking more of next year as the glass half full in me has already written us off for this year - well. if we lose to Brisbane it certainly will. Chaps who are getting long in the tooth this year will be stating to prop their canines up with splints next year. You mention Pendles, Howe and Steele, all playing poorly now and fumbling. OK they will regain some poise and touch and give us better service, but where will their bodies be at next year? Really this is our window of opportunity, but it looks to be closing early. The older blokes are going to start dropping off like drunks aboard a cruise ship bereft of deck rails.
So much negativity and doom and gloom. I had to stop reading after the first couple of sentences, lol.

I wonder how some of you drag yourselves out of bed sometimes.

I'll remind you that it's not due to Pendles, Howe & Sidebottom that we are playing poorly. The whole team has been fumbly, over kicking, scrappy handballs, second guessing, missing tackles. It's between their ears, if you ask me. Not in their legs.

Most of us didn't expect Pendles, Howe & Steele to be playing in 2025 anyway. That's why we brought in Sullivan, Bytel. Fin will play more this year. Allan will be a year older. Eyre will be back from injury. Dean knows what is required at the AFL level & what he needs to work on. Harry & TJ to be developed this year.

It's really not as gloomy as you are choosing to look at it.

Shame we don’t have a msd list spot at this point. Unless there is another long term injury or retirement

I’m not confident in Murphy Jen, the longer it goes on the less likely he plays IMO. Given his history nobody could criticise him, going out with a flag. Hopefully maybe a coaching role.

If that does happen one may open.

I think the guy that's forgotten about that may well come back into the side is Carmichael.
He looked very good yesterday, and finished with 20 odd possessions, and should have kicked at least 3 goals. I think he finished with 1.3 for the game. On top of that, he covered the ground well, and plus had around 5 clearances for the day.
Also l keep forgetting the guy is still only what 23/24, so alot of upside to him still.....

Wonder if he may have a slight niggle. Was off doing some running last week.
Or maybe with the likes of Glover, Johnson, Purcell playing forward, there wasn't room for another tall?
😂 another tall. In Collingwood terms that 190cm

I think the guy that's forgotten about that may well come back into the side is Carmichael.
He looked very good yesterday, and finished with 20 odd possessions, and should have kicked at least 3 goals. I think he finished with 1.3 for the game. On top of that, he covered the ground well, and plus had around 5 clearances for the day.
Also l keep forgetting the guy is still only what 23/24, so alot of upside to him still.....
I was a fan. But he’s failed to progress and his disposal and decision making is an ongoing weakness.
I live in hope that he can fix it, because his size and aggression at the contest is a huge positive.

So much negativity and doom and gloom. I had to stop reading after the first couple of sentences, lol.

I wonder how some of you drag yourselves out of bed sometimes.

I'll remind you that it's not due to Pendles, Howe & Sidebottom that we are playing poorly. The whole team has been fumbly, over kicking, scrappy handballs, second guessing, missing tackles. It's between their ears, if you ask me. Not in their legs.

Most of us didn't expect Pendles, Howe & Steele to be playing in 2025 anyway. That's why we brought in Sullivan, Bytel. Fin will play more this year. Allan will be a year older. Eyre will be back from injury. Dean knows what is required at the AFL level & what he needs to work on. Harry & TJ to be developed this year.

It's really not as gloomy as you are choosing to look at it.
Do you honestly believe that Sullivan, Bytel, Eyre and Dean are like for like replacements for Pendles, Howe and Sidebottom? Back up perhaps but not yet guys we'd be looking at to carry the midfield or defence throughout the year. We are losing high draft pick players and replacing them with rookies. Fin's progress is going to be of great importance as he is the one on who we'd most pin our hopes for success.

It's hard to say the Sidebottom was not part of the cause of our loss when of his 11 kicks, 8 were clangers and his spoil in defence gifted a goal to Jack Higgins?

The secret of getting out of bed is to have something to do when you get up. The thoughts going through your head are a secondary consideration and really only come into calculation if you have no reason to get up. Then it is as you say all between the ears.

I was a fan. But he’s failed to progress and his disposal and decision making is an ongoing weakness.
I live in hope that he can fix it, because his size and aggression at the contest is a huge positive.
First time I’ve heard Fly yell from the stands was to Carmy. Told him to press up the field and take a man midway through the last.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back