VFL VFL Round 19 v Carlton @ Victoria Park. July 29 1:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

The middle is where he belongs / is best Jen but it’s clear under Fly (and around the league) that players must be able to play multiple positions in scheme rotations.
I love him to have a full season in the middle but not sure the club sees him there - not sure why.
Yeah, maybe this is about adding another position to his resume, apart from mid, and at this moment thats' half back. But just bloody play them where they play their best football.

They need to put Arlo back in the middle, that's his proper position; not this half back they have been using him the last couple weeks.
Never had been and never will be a half back. Guess the coaches know that too and maybe a sign he is on the way out at years end

Never had been and never will be a half back. Guess the coaches know that too and maybe a sign he is on the way out at years end
Its the role he played last year. But midfield is where he needs to be. But guess adding a second positon to his game, which they like to do.

Draper has had injury problems - shoulder and extended absence due to concussion. He’s played no where near the full complement of games in the 2 years you feel is needed to prove his worth.
He has the size, speed, needed for a modern mid so I’d give him a contract.
He won't get one.

If you can't play half back in the VFL, good luck playing midfield in the AFL. It's not like he's slow and thus not physically suited to half back.

If you can't play half back in the VFL, good luck playing midfield in the AFL. It's not like he's slow and thus not physically suited to half back.

Ryan has been impressive in his first season at HB.
Binns for Carlton was impressive, 18 yr old, first year player, pick 32. 30 odd disposals.

Draper is miles off. Struggling on second year in the vfl doesn’t scream A grade mid. Which is what premiership teams need, A Grade mids

Reef, Finn and Ed need as much midfield time as possible, so Arlo is going to be up against it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be annoyed if he was retained.

One good VFL game in 5 years doesn’t cut it

If they keep Kelly it means they’ll likely delist someone else who’s less deserving of delistment

I think he's had a pretty consistent year so it's hardly 1 good VFL game. Won't see him retained though

Begg did take 1 mark, but its an area of his game that needs improving. Steene has a great set of hands though.

Has shown improvement this year relative to last. I can see that improvement continuing with another preseason under his belt. Extra fitness to get to more contests and extra bulk to do better in those 1v1's.

Ryan has been impressive in his first season at HB.
Binns for Carlton was impressive, 18 yr old, first year player, pick 32. 30 odd disposals.

Draper is miles off. Struggling on second year in the vfl doesn’t scream A grade mid. Which is what premiership teams need, A Grade mids
My money is on: Draper, Murley, Carmichael, Wilson delisted before trade week.

Bianco, Kelly, Ruscoe either found a new home or delisted after trade week. Might keep one of them.

No idea on Begg - I'd delist him.

Last edited:
Has shown improvement this year relative to last. I can see that improvement continuing with another preseason under his belt. Extra fitness to get to more contests and extra bulk to do better in those 1v1's.
How is begg going to ruck against players like Gawn? Big O? Darcy? Maynard would handle them better

Bianco, Kelly, Ruscoe either found a new home or delisted after trade week. Might keep one of them.

Can’t remember who said it during the hawks game on the wkend but the quote is this

“Smalls have 5 minutes to show they can play, talls have 5 years to show they can’t”

I’ve never heard before and quite enjoyed it 😂. in Kelly’s case he’s def done that.

Swap him with Kelly. Unless Kelly has four three goal performances, he is gone.

Bit odd to cut Carmy after 18 months. Hasn't done a lot wrong. Hand balling is his only major concern and you can learn that easily enough.
I think it's more than just skill execution - he's got tunnel vision - not sure if that's an easy fix. Plus he's another slowish mid. We're overstocked in that regard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back