VFL VFL Round 19 v Carlton @ Victoria Park. July 29 1:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Good win in the end although goal kicking is a worry. It's not even the 14.16 as much as the realistic opportunities that resulted in no score at all.

That aside, a lot to like. Great game from McInnes, BOG for mine. Surprised he hasn't been in the discussions as a potential replacement for Lipinski.

Best game from Allan since his COVID. Best game from Richards in his time at the club. Best game from Murley for a while.

Ginnivan continues to put himself in senior consideration with another very good game.

Johnson should have had a bag but was still good. Kreuger was good.

Bianco, Ruscoe and Frampton all solid.

Kelly was very good, showed his versatility spending time forward this week as well as on a wing. Those that have an issue with him I think is more about their expectations. He has never and will never be a good 1v1 contested mark. He has never and will never be a good 1v1 contested groundball player. But he has really good skills, generally uses the footy well, and if he's allowed to get a run at a contested marking situation can clunk a decent mark.

I liked Begg's game. He continues to progress.

Draper didn't do a lot wrong. The problem is that he didn't do a lot. Generally uses it well but needs to start getting more footy if he wants to be with us in 2024.

Carmichael's disposal let him down. Finds the footy but fending 1 hand and throwing the footy onto his boot with the other generally doesn't end well.

Last edited:

I just hate the idea of going into a game with one ruckman. If he goes down or is hampered by injury it's game over.

For all the BF angst over him, I think they'll persevere with Cox. Selection will be interesting.

I just hate the idea of going into a game with one ruckman. If he goes down or is hampered by injury it's game over.
Is there any circumstance you would drop Cox?

How many teams are actually playing two rucks? Because cox isn’t offering anything as a forward atm. Dees have dropped Grundy for the same reason. He’s a defenders dream
Cox was a nightmare last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see most of the young kids outside of Draper stepping up.

Absolutely, had Draper stepped up too, it would have been terribly disappointing and cheapened the performances of the others.

Good win in the end although goal kicking is a worry. It's not even the 14.16 as much as the realistic opportunities that resulted in no score at all.

That aside, a lot to like. Great game from McInnes, BOG for mine. Surprised he hasn't been in the discussions as a potential replacement for Lipinski.

Best game from Allan since his COVID. Best game from Richards in his time at the club. Best game from Murley for a while.

Ginnivan continues to put himself in senior consideration with another very good game.

Johnson should have had a bag but was still good. Kreuger was good.

Bianco, Ruscoe and Frampton all solid.

Kelly was very good, showed his versatility spending time forward this week as well as on a wing. Those that have an issue with him I think is more about their expectations. He has never and will never be a good 1v1 contested mark. He has never and will never be a good 1v1 contested groundball player. But he has really good skills, generally uses the footy well, and if he's allowed to get a run at a contested marking situation can clunk a decent mark.

I liked Begg's game. He continues to progress.

Draper didn't do a lot wrong. The problem is that he didn't do a lot. Generally uses it well but needs to start getting more footy if he wants to be with us in 2024.

Carmichael's disposal let him down. Finds the footy but fending 1 hand and throwing the footy onto his boot with the other generally doesn't end well.
Ginnivan was not even close to last week’s performance when he had 29 Disposals and could have kicked 5.
He needed a similar performance to last week to make his case and sadly didn’t get close.
He lacked intensity today.
McInnes is the one - he’s looking good everywhere they play him.

A move forward paid dividends for Will Kelly and Collingwood with the big man kicking three goals in the Magpies' 28-point win over Carlton on Saturday.

Kelly finished with 20 disposals and nine marks in a dominant display.

However, he was outdone in the scoring department by Ash Johnson who finished with four majors, as well as four behinds, from 14 touches and eight marks.

Jack Ginnivan kept himself in the conversation for a recall with two goals from his 15 touches, while Nathan Kreuger kicked three goals and rookie Tom Wilson slotted two from 17 disposals.

Trent Bianco was the Pies' biggest ball-winner with 32 disposals, with Josh Carmichael (28, six clearances) close behind.

Trey Ruscoe (23 disposals, eight marks) and Reef McInnes (21 disposals, six clearances) were busy.

Jakob Ryan (17 touches), Aiden Begg (11, 16 hitouts, seven clearances), Joe Richards (14 disposals), Cooper Murley (16), Ed Allan (19), Billy Frampton (11), Harvey Harrison (10) and Arlo Draper (eight) all did their bit in the win.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A move forward paid dividends for Will Kelly and Collingwood with the big man kicking three goals in the Magpies' 28-point win over Carlton on Saturday.

Kelly finished with 20 disposals and nine marks in a dominant display.

However, he was outdone in the scoring department by Ash Johnson who finished with four majors, as well as four behinds, from 14 touches and eight marks.

Jack Ginnivan kept himself in the conversation for a recall with two goals from his 15 touches, while Nathan Kreuger kicked three goals and rookie Tom Wilson slotted two from 17 disposals.

Trent Bianco was the Pies' biggest ball-winner with 32 disposals, with Josh Carmichael (28, six clearances) close behind.

Trey Ruscoe (23 disposals, eight marks) and Reef McInnes (21 disposals, six clearances) were busy.

Jakob Ryan (17 touches), Aiden Begg (11, 16 hitouts, seven clearances), Joe Richards (14 disposals), Cooper Murley (16), Ed Allan (19), Billy Frampton (11), Harvey Harrison (10) and Arlo Draper (eight) all did their bit in the win.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Kreugs should have had 4 goals, handballed one to Wilson in the goal square

Reef & Allen hopefully the dynamic duo in 2-3 years time !

in all honesty, how do you think Allen is tracking. Haven’t really seen anything to make me think, wow , we having something here. Club has extended his contract so obviously they see something in him. Just doesn’t stand out to me on the ground. He is quick , but haven’t seen that being used during a game. He is big bodied, but don’t see him shrugging tackles etc
i think he is a few years away yet

Reef can dominate a VFL game, but when in the seniors he looks a bit like he doesn’t want to make a mistake, like he is not sure if he belongs at the level. Hopefully with greater opportunity, he will adjust. Physically, he is ready to go

Ginnivan was not even close to last week’s performance when he had 29 Disposals and could have kicked 5.
He needed a similar performance to last week to make his case and sadly didn’t get close.
He lacked intensity today.
McInnes is the one - he’s looking good everywhere they play him.

Ginnivan was very good again this week and will remain in consideration for senior selection as he has been for several weeks. Your need to insert arbitrary measures (29 disposals) and cherry pick and interpret stats is very childish. Could have had 5, did kick 2. This week, could have had 4, did kick 2. You see the similarities. I'll leave it there, you're not worth my time. Go be combative with someone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back