VFL VFL Round 22 v Southport @ AIA. Saturday August 19. 12:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

collingwood.jpg

State league affiliate: Collingwood (VFL)
This weekend: Collingwood v Southport at AIA Centre, Saturday August 19, 12.05pm AEST

Collingwood proved far too strong for Southport in its 50-point win on Saturday, with plenty of players putting their hand up for a recall to the injury-hit senior side.

Reef McInnes had a day out up forward with a game-high four goals, nine marks and five tackles from his 18 touches.
Defender Trey Ruscoe was staunch down back, finishing with seven tackles, five marks and 21 disposals.

Out of favour forward Ash Johnson kicked two goals and took a game-high 10 marks, while Finlay Macrae led his side with 26 touches and had three marks.

Harvey Harrison (17 disposals, six tackles), Trent Bianco (17, eight), Ed Allan (23, six marks) and Josh Carmichael (21, five clearances) were all impressive in the win.

You really want to see the back of Cox don't you? Did his game last night impress you? I don't think we signed him for 2 more years so we could play him in the VFL.
Yes and you are the exact opposite you would keep cox on the list until he is 50,you harp on about anyone who does not agree with you about Cox. I will tell you I am another one who did not see the need to give Cox 2 yrs 1 yr is enough at his age,if he was going alright at the end of next season fair enough give him another year but not 2 at his age and the position he plays.

Also about Cox,s friday night game that was his 1st decent one in the last 4 weeks, you cannot take anyone saying anything adverse about Cox,TD is right about Steene he has a higher ceiling than Cox he has just run out of energy not talent. Oscar I feel has shown more than enough for myself to think he will go straight past both Cox and Cameron.

Crossely is about 20-30kg Bigger
Crossley because of his size and aggressiveness has put the cleaners on more than a 1st yr ruck I would amazed if he did not.I actually would not mind Crossley if he were 15 kgs lighter because he does not take many backward steps he would be the ideal man to play with Steene in the VFL, if you got Crossley I reckon he would go alright against Cameron and Cox for that matter. I remember when Grundy had problems with Crossley also when he was with the Suns.

I feel like Reef must have aspects to his game that the coaches really don’t like OR there is no obvious like for like position in our senior side that he can take right now.

Surely he plays for Mccreery this week.

I’d really like to see Cameron dropped and Reef/Bobby in the side.

Yes and you are the exact opposite you would keep cox on the list until he is 50,you harp on about anyone who does not agree with you about Cox. I will tell you I am another one who did not see the need to give Cox 2 yrs 1 yr is enough at his age,if he was going alright at the end of next season fair enough give him another year but not 2 at his age and the position he plays.

Also about Cox,s friday night game that was his 1st decent one in the last 4 weeks, you cannot take anyone saying anything adverse about Cox,TD is right about Steene he has a higher ceiling than Cox he has just run out of energy not talent. Oscar I feel has shown more than enough for myself to think he will go straight past both Cox and Cameron.

What 4 weeks are you talking about? He’s dominated the last 2 VFL games. If you’re talking seniors, 4 games back he rucked 1 out against Freo and was fine. Maybe skip the hyperbole. Cox has been signed for 2 more years. I’m fine with that. I’d imagine it’s on similar $’s to a 1 year deal just spread over 2, and worst case scenario he’ll provide good depth while Steene and Begg develop.

COLLINGWOOD vs SOUTHPORT SHARKS​

COLLINGWOOD 6.2, 10.5, 13.9, 16.12 (108)
SOUTHPORT SHARKS
1.5, 4.6, 7.8, 8.10 (58)

COLLINGWOOD wrapped up its second consecutive finals berth and ended Southport’s disappointing season with a comfortable 50-point victory at AIA Centre.

The Sharks have been cruelled by injuries to key players at various stages of the year and were out of contention before the game but would have hoped to put up a better showing for the 100th NEAFL/VFL game of superstar Jacob Dawson and the 50th club appearances of Dawson, Jesse Joyce and Brayden Crossley.

But the Magpies came out red-hot with six goals to one in the first quarter and it was all academic from there as they extended their lead at every change to seal their Wildcard Round spot.

Southport actually had more of the football, winning disposals 368-343, hitouts 51-15, clearances 39-30 and inside-50s by five as Dawson (34 disposals, eight clearances, five entries) and Boyd Woodcock (33 disposals, eight clearances, nine entries, five rebounds) racked them up again, but was never in the game after that opening quarter salvo.

Fin Macrae picked up where he left off before his thumb injury with 26 touches, 11 inside-50s and a goal for Collingwood, with first-year player Ed Allan (23 disposals, six marks, one goal), Trey Ruscoe (21 disposals, seven tackles, eight rebounds) and Josh Carmichael (21 disposals, five clearances) also impressing.

Reef McInnes took nine marks and booted four goals from 18 touches, Ash Johnson had 10 marks and two majors from 17 and Campbell Lane took six marks and had eight rebounds from 1

Max Pescud turned in his best game of an injury-interrupted season for the Sharks with 26 possessions, six marks and two goals, Crossley had 19 touches, 32 hitouts, seven clearances and five inside-50s and Jake McQueen impressed up forward with 3.3 from 18 disposals and five marks plus six entries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back