VFL Round 1 v Sandringham @ RSEA Park. Friday March 22, 4:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he should play but agree he’s not an automatic in for Markov. He has plenty of faults as you rightly point out. I think he’s our best option for the moment but Ryan could pass them both soon enough.

If we’re replacing Markov (not sure that’ll be the case) then I’d have thought WHE would be the front runner at this stage.

Do you honestly believe that Sullivan, Bytel, Eyre and Dean are like for like replacements for Pendles, Howe and Sidebottom? Back up perhaps but not yet guys we'd be looking at to carry the midfield or defence throughout the year. We are losing high draft pick players and replacing them with rookies. Fin's progress is going to be of great importance as he is the one on who we'd most pin our hopes for success.

It's hard to say the Sidebottom was not part of the cause of our loss when of his 11 kicks, 8 were clangers and his spoil in defence gifted a goal to Jack Higgins?

The secret of getting out of bed is to have something to do when you get up. The thoughts going through your head are a secondary consideration and really only come into calculation if you have no reason to get up. Then it is as you say all between the ears.
We are not replacing our guns at their peak - so it’s not an issue.
Their athleticism can easily be replaced by these other players. Leadership and experience is a completely different story.

Do you honestly believe that Sullivan, Bytel, Eyre and Dean are like for like replacements for Pendles, Howe and Sidebottom? Back up perhaps but not yet guys we'd be looking at to carry the midfield or defence throughout the year. We are losing high draft pick players and replacing them with rookies. Fin's progress is going to be of great importance as he is the one on who we'd most pin our hopes for success.

It's hard to say the Sidebottom was not part of the cause of our loss when of his 11 kicks, 8 were clangers and his spoil in defence gifted a goal to Jack Higgins?

The secret of getting out of bed is to have something to do when you get up. The thoughts going through your head are a secondary consideration and really only come into calculation if you have no reason to get up. Then it is as you say all between the ears.
I don't think Sullivan, Bytel, Eyre & Dean are the replacements for Pendles, Howe & Sidebottom 'this week', no.

But they are young players we have recruited to be a part of our AFL side. They are part of the future, that's why we drafted them. They are still being developed . They've only played one VFL match this year, lol.

Some on here are on sooking about us never getting any number 1-10 picks in the past draft or 2 to replace Pendles & Steele is a bit silly. Even if we had, they would still be learning their craft in their 2's and no guarantee to ever be the replacements for said players.

No player is ever going to be an 'automatic' Pendles & Sidebottom replacement. You can't replace that experience with an 18 year old. Pendles will go down as one of our best ever players. No one will replace him.

I'd say we've done very well with our rookies, ssp's & how we've drafted players. Have a look at our regular finals appearances. Other clubs who have been sitting down the bottom of the ladder & have collected multiple top draft picks would love to have had the success we've had.

I'm not writing Pendles, Steele & Howe off & advising them to retire. I think many others have also been poor, but to just lay all the blame with those 3 is silly. Imo.

So much negativity and doom and gloom. I had to stop reading after the first couple of sentences, lol.

I wonder how some of you drag yourselves out of bed sometimes.

I'll remind you that it's not due to Pendles, Howe & Sidebottom that we are playing poorly. The whole team has been fumbly, over kicking, scrappy handballs, second guessing, missing tackles. It's between their ears, if you ask me. Not in their legs.

Most of us didn't expect Pendles, Howe & Steele to be playing in 2025 anyway. That's why we brought in Sullivan, Bytel. Fin will play more this year. Allan will be a year older. Eyre will be back from injury. Dean knows what is required at the AFL level & what he needs to work on. Harry & TJ to be developed this year.

It's really not as gloomy as you are choosing to look at it.
Still no strategy to find some key forwards! I find that a particularly gloomy situation going forward.

I don't think Sullivan, Bytel, Eyre & Dean are the replacements for Pendles, Howe & Sidebottom 'this week', no.

But they are young players we have recruited to be a part of our AFL side. They are part of the future, that's why we drafted them. They are still being developed . They've only played one VFL match this year, lol.

Some on here are on sooking about us never getting any number 1-10 picks in the past draft or 2 to replace Pendles & Steele is a bit silly. Even if we had, they would still be learning their craft in their 2's and no guarantee to ever be the replacements for said players.

No player is ever going to be an 'automatic' Pendles & Sidebottom replacement. You can't replace that experience with an 18 year old. Pendles will go down as one of our best ever players. No one will replace him.

I'd say we've done very well with our rookies, ssp's & how we've drafted players. Have a look at our regular finals appearances. Other clubs who have been sitting down the bottom of the ladder & have collected multiple top draft picks would love to have had the success we've had.

I'm not writing Pendles, Steele & Howe off & advising them to retire. I think many others have also been poor, but to just lay all the blame with those 3 is silly. Imo.
Once again, my comments re replacement of players relate to a much longer term than this week or even this year, but I think next year will be the beginning of the handing over the baton period, and the blokes receiving the baton are not of the same calibre as the handoverees.

And you are still on about me laying the blame on 3 players when I was not so I feel like much that has passed between us has been a waste of words. What I believe was always going to hold us back this year was the loss of key tall from both ends in the form of McStay and Murphy. What wasn't anticipated was the poor form of just about every other player bar Cameron and Daicos.

Once again, my comments re replacement of players relate to a much longer term than this week or even this year, but I think next year will be the beginning of the handing over the baton period, and the blokes receiving the baton are not of the same calibre as the handoverees.

And you are still on about me laying the blame on 3 players when I was not so I feel like much that has passed between us has been a waste of words. What I believe was always going to hold us back this year was the loss of key tall from both ends in the form of McStay and Murphy. What wasn't anticipated was the poor form of just about every other player bar Cameron and Daicos.
Of course they are not of the same calibre. Other senior players who are currently in the team will need to improve to take that mantle or get close.

And then there's Nick.

We've played 3 teams who will all be in the 8, two of which will most likely to be top 4. We've played an extra game than most in the comp. They've all come out hungry & we are the hunted. We've started poorly & the desperation isn't there.

It's still only round 2.

I was thinking more of next year as the glass half full in me has already written us off for this year - well. if we lose to Brisbane it certainly will. Chaps who are getting long in the tooth this year will be stating to prop their canines up with splints next year. You mention Pendles, Howe and Steele, all playing poorly now and fumbling. OK they will regain some poise and touch and give us better service, but where will their bodies be at next year? Really this is our window of opportunity, but it looks to be closing early. The older blokes are going to start dropping off like drunks aboard a cruise ship bereft of deck rails.

I wouldn't be calling season gone, even if we lose to Brisbane. After the Brisbane game
Of course they are not of the same calibre. Other senior players who are currently in the team will need to improve to take that mantle or get close.

And then there's Nick.

We've played 3 teams who will all be in the 8, two of which will most likely to be top 4. We've played an extra game than most in the comp. They've all come out hungry & we are the hunted. We've started poorly & the desperation isn't there.

It's still only round 2.

I don't think the Saints are a top 8 side. If they actually played a team in form on Thursday night, like say a GWS or Sydney, they would have been on the losing side.
Their turnovers were as bad as ours, we just couldn't capitalise and move the ball properly with our constant fumbling and poor disposal, so we just handed it back to them. A team in form, would have made them pay....

I wouldn't be calling season gone, even if we lose to Brisbane. After the Brisbane game

I don't think the Saints are a top 8 side. If they actually played a team in form on Thursday night, like say a GWS or Sydney, they would have been on the losing side.
Their turnovers were as bad as ours, we just couldn't capitalise and move the ball properly with our constant fumbling and poor disposal, so we just handed it back to them. A team in form, would have made them pay....
I hope Saints aren't either. But it makes me feel better to think they will be when we played so poorly and still only lost by 15 points. 😜

Don't think they are being silly.

Since 2014 apart from father sons, we have only had 2 from top 10. JDG 2014 (5), Stephenson (6) 2017

Think our poor drafting is a valid discussion, not necessarily sooking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think they are being silly.

Since 2014 apart from father sons, we have only had 2 from top 10. JDG 2014 (5), Stephenson (6) 2017

Think our poor drafting is a valid discussion, not necessarily sooking.
If we’ve only had 2 top 10 draft picks since 2014 outside of father sons, yet have still made 2 grand finals and won a premiership in that period, shouldn’t that be a testament to the strength of our drafting despite our relatively poor draft hands..?

Okay anyway, we are going off topic, I shouldn't be adding to it.

At least we got off to a good start with the VFL boys.

Off topic? That never happens around here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you’ll find at every club since the existence of time that they don’t think they will be able to replace their veterans with new players . And they do. The question is how it’s managed.

VFL side has gotten off to a good start and that’s without Eyre Demattia and Steene. Can’t ask for more than that.

How list evolution pans out is the key to the next phase of Collingwoods success. Hopefully there’s no panic required

Last edited:
John Noble staked his claim for a senior recall with a good performance in the Magpies' 28-point win over Sandringham on Friday.

Noble, out of the senior side since coming as the sub against Greater Western Sydney in Opening Round, had 29 disposals in the Pies' win.

Josh Carmichael was busy with 20 touches and 1.3, while Joe Richards booted 3.2 as part of his 15 disposals.
Ed Allan (24 disposals and five clearances) and pre-season supplemental selection period recruits Jack Bytel (24 and two) and Lachie Sullivan (28 and six) played well.

Jakob Ryan had 18 disposals, Harvey Harrison had 18 and kicked a goal and Aiden Begg had 10 with 10 tackles, nine hitouts and four clearances, but Zebras duo Tom Campbell and Max Heath dominated the ruck contests.

Axed from the senior side, Ash Johnson had six disposals and kicked a goal.

Aiden Begg had 10 with 10 tackles, nine hitouts and four clearances, but Zebras duo Tom Campbell and Max Heath dominated the ruck contests.
No Wonder with the Massive Size Difference especially vs Campbell

John Noble staked his claim for a senior recall with a good performance in the Magpies' 28-point win over Sandringham on Friday.

Noble, out of the senior side since coming as the sub against Greater Western Sydney in Opening Round, had 29 disposals in the Pies' win.

Josh Carmichael was busy with 20 touches and 1.3, while Joe Richards booted 3.2 as part of his 15 disposals.
Ed Allan (24 disposals and five clearances) and pre-season supplemental selection period recruits Jack Bytel (24 and two) and Lachie Sullivan (28 and six) played well.

Jakob Ryan had 18 disposals, Harvey Harrison had 18 and kicked a goal and Aiden Begg had 10 with 10 tackles, nine hitouts and four clearances, but Zebras duo Tom Campbell and Max Heath dominated the ruck contests.

Axed from the senior side, Ash Johnson had six disposals and kicked a goal.

Nine hitouts compared to 56 is not a promising sign for a ruckman. Whilst he tackled hard, that’s not really his role. He also looked like he was physically exhausted from the load and his body was holding on by a toothpick. Not really sure what our plan with Beggy is. He’s not AFL standard yet.

Feel like these articles don’t do justice to players. Sullivan much better than that. Harvey Harrison should not be that low. Carmichael sloppy but competitive.

Nine hitouts compared to 56 is not a promising sign for a ruckman. Whilst he tackled hard, that’s not really his role. He also looked like he was physically exhausted from the load and his body was holding on by a toothpick. Not really sure what our plan with Beggy is. He’s not AFL standard yet.

Feel like these articles don’t do justice to players. Sullivan much better than that. Harvey Harrison should not be that low. Carmichael sloppy but competitive.
tbf, he more or less had it do it all himself, with Oscar injured. Apart from stints from Purcell. And compared to their rucks, he is still a child. Tom Campbell is much more mature.

When Steene returns, Begg would no doubt do relief ruck duties, but given it's obvious he is not tall enough to be an AFL ruckman, surely he needs to be settled into a position? If he could adapt to a KPP role, he'd be a lot more valuable to us than he is as a ruckman. If he can't play a KPP role, there's surely no point retaining him on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back