VFL VFL Round 19 v Carlton @ Victoria Park. July 29 1:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong question IMO - we should be asking how do we develop a 197cm KID with outstanding agility/mobility and competitiveness in a position other than 2nd Ruck.
Talls take time -Begg is no different.
Footy is more than just athletic attributes - otherwise Pendles isn't an all time great. Yes, Begg is tall and athletic, but he does one thing that is relevent - follow up in ruck contests. In terms of all the other things he needs to do to be a KPD or forward who chops out in the ruck - he might as well be a category B kid, as he's miles off, but less likely to develop as where he's at isn't about a lack of exposure - like it is for kids who are new to the game.

Last edited:

Begg is wholehearted but is too small for ruck and has trampoline hands so he is not good at marking. His only chance is to punch the ball and his follow up play is good he does not lack heart just skills at this stage.

I think he should be given another yr if only to support Steene who is our real chance as a ruck for the future, but if Cox somehow was given 2yrs then Begg should have another one.

I think in the pre season Aiden should be tried down back with him supporting Oscar in the ruck at times.

I think the bloke I would really like to see forward and supporting in the ruck is Krueger I think he offers more as a forward and 2nd ruck than either McStay or Johnson far more physical than either of those 2 but Oscar is the man for that position in 18mths time it may even be before the end of next season.

Wrong question IMO - we should be asking how do we develop a 197cm KID with outstanding agility/mobility and competitiveness in a position other than 2nd Ruck.
Talls take time -Begg is no different.
Spinny. He’s been rucking. He’s not going to be a ruck. So I agree and have said it for ages, try him as a KPD. He’s not a ruck or forward. But I’ll stand by my remarks. He will never be an afl ruck

Footy is more than just athletic attributes - otherwise Pendles isn't an all time great. Yes, Begg is tall and athletic, but he does one thing that is relevent - follow up in ruck contests. In terms of all the other things he needs to do to be a KPD or forward who chops out in the ruck - he might as well be a category B kid, as he's miles off, but less likely to develop as where he's at isn't about a lack of exposure - like it is for kids who are new to the game.
Without his athletic attributes Begg is not worth persisting with - it’s that simple.
As you say his follow up Ruck contest is relevant but let’s not marginalize it’s importance - that alone questions your view that ‘he’s miles off”.
Whether in the Ruck or elsewhere on the ground a big body with that ability is a big plus. And if he’s also got a tank then this further adds reasons to keep him.

So we just need to round out his game in other areas IMO.

Begg is wholehearted but is too small for ruck and has trampoline hands so he is not good at marking. His only chance is to punch the ball and his follow up play is good he does not lack heart just skills at this stage.

I think he should be given another yr if only to support Steene who is our real chance as a ruck for the future, but if Cox somehow was given 2yrs then Begg should have another one.

I think in the pre season Aiden should be tried down back with him supporting Oscar in the ruck at times.

I think the bloke I would really like to see forward and supporting in the ruck is Krueger I think he offers more as a forward and 2nd ruck than either McStay or Johnson far more physical than either of those 2 but Oscar is the man for that position in 18mths time it may even be before the end of next season.
Neither Begg or Steene have afl futures as rucks.
Steene maybe as a forward

I don’t recall him having 20 plus and kicking 3 goals… ever

Averaging 14 disposals in the VFL this year. First year player in Allen doing better already

First time he’s played KPF this year, been playing wing, had games where he been listed among the coaches best. Your never going to acknowledge anything remotely positive about him so I’ll leave it there. He’ll likely be gone at the end of year so I don’t see the need for the hyperbolic negativity.

Begg did take 1 mark, but its an area of his game that needs improving. Steene has a great set of hands though.
He took a chest mark while nobody was within 20m of him. To say it’s an area that needs improving is a massive understatement.

First time he’s played KPF this year, been playing wing, had games where he been listed among the coaches best. Your never going to acknowledge anything remotely positive about him so I’ll leave it there. He’ll likely be gone at the end of year so I don’t see the need for the hyperbolic negativity.

Hyperbolic negativity… he’s in his fifth year and showed nothing until last weekend. It can’t all be rose tinted glasses. At sone point a player needs to perform

And yeah he’s played KPF before. Started there under Buckley

And KPD… they’ve used him everywhere in an attempt to find a position for him where he can influence a game

He took a chest mark while nobody was within 20m of him. To say it’s an area that needs improving is a massive understatement.

It’s why I think we’ll continue to ruck him or delist him rather than trialing him down back like everyone here seems to think.

Intercept marking is king right now as is the ability to win the ball back and launch into offense.

His lack of marking ability makes me think we’re less likely to try him back.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s why I think we’ll continue to ruck him or delist him rather than trialing him down back like everyone here seems to think.

Intercept marking is king right now as is the ability to win the ball back and launch into offense.

His lack of marking ability makes me think we’re less likely to try him back.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep. His one asset is follow up after ruck contest. Take that away by playing him as a defender and what does he do that's even close to vfl standard - let alone AFL standard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit odd to cut Carmy after 18 months. Hasn't done a lot wrong. Hand balling is his only major concern and you can learn that easily enough.
Carmichael is an absolute, deadset certainty to go at year's end. All is not lost though, he'll make a lot of money playing country football in the next decade or so.

Ruscoe will be there next year, so will Draper.

Can’t remember who said it during the hawks game on the wkend but the quote is this

“Smalls have 5 minutes to show they can play, talls have 5 years to show they can’t”

I’ve never heard before and quite enjoyed it 😂. in Kelly’s case he’s def done that.

The smalls with elite attributes get a bit longer - eg Reef and Allan if he takes a while.

But if you're a young mid or flanker who is only a good solid athlete and don't know where to go to get the footy at VFL level - you'd better learn quick.

Spinny. He’s been rucking. He’s not going to be a ruck. So I agree and have said it for ages, try him as a KPD. He’s not a ruck or forward. But I’ll stand by my remarks. He will never be an afl ruck
My view is that if a bloke playing ruck doesn't read the game well enough to get to aerial contests, nor has ever shown anything in an aerial contest - then he's not a kpp prospect, regardless of his height or athletic profile.

Ruck is his only position, but I agree that he's not a good AFL ruck prospect - he's a pretty good VFL ruck prospect. I can't see why we'd keep him TBH.

My view is that if a bloke playing ruck doesn't read the game well enough to get to aerial contests, nor has ever shown anything in an aerial contest - then he's not a kpp prospect, regardless of his height or athletic profile.

Ruck is his only position, but I agree that he's not a good AFL ruck prospect - he's a pretty good VFL ruck prospect. I can't see why we'd keep him TBH.

Travis Cloke talked to Hine and Raved about him

Just Like Richards from Ben Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back