Roast 4 goals, 17 behinds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously, is this some kind of record, at least in the last 4-5 years.

Our goal kicking (and not just Trav's) was ****ing disgraceful tonight, and there were no excuses for it.

Most of our misses were even in decent positions, 30-40 out almost directly in front.

The misses in the second half would have been laughable for anyone not supporting us tonight, we simply should have had a 4 goal lead at 3/4 time.

We were buggered by the last quarter after two 6 day breaks, but that had no effect or is no excuse for our goal kicking.

Points kickers tonight;

McCarthy, 0 goals, 2 behinds
Wellingham, 0 goals, 2 behinds
Sidebottom, 1 goal, 2 behinds
Cloke, 1 goal, 2 behinds (6 shots in total)

Overall 15 points scorers, so you can't blame "rushed behinds".

Simply not good enough, and leaving Jack and Dawes out backfired big time.

Don't blame Nathan Buckley either, the buck stops with Mick Malthouse here.

I know there's a venting thread, but this deserved it's own thread IMO.

Come on Matty... Make it easy for the mods and keep it in the purposely created, 'Venting' thread... :thumbsu::)

By the way, you forgot about the 4 out of bounds on the full :p

What makes things worse is we didn't capitalise in both: Reiwoldt and Fisher being taken out of the game, plus the following momentum shift that occured. What a strange performance. At least we kept with them for 3 quarters, even if it wasn't from kicking goals.

I didn't see the game tonight,could someone please tell me were the shots from decent scoring positions, or out on the boundary/ outside 50 etc?

I'd say we missed 7-8 shots that you would say "an AFL player should kick", while the rest were tougher.

Only 2 rushed behinds though, so 15 genuine misses.

I can't believe how disgusting that goal kicking was. I watched it from home and had to check the scores on the internet when we got to 4.15. Lucky for me I spared myself the last 10 minutes of frustration watching another 2 points kicked. We played hard footy for 3 quarters. The game should have been over at 3/4 time. I don't know if we were stuffed or just thought they would lie down in the last quarter but you would have thought we were the team with only 2 on the bench and missing our number 1 player.

Take comfort in knowing your forwards will be playing against a much less troublesome backline next week in the hawks, and on your favoured ground as well. Could well kick 17.4 next week.

Chin up, 2-1 is right up there and you got away unscaythed personell wise which is always a plus (assuming cloke was a minor injury?)

Come on Matty... Make it easy for the mods and keep it in the purposely created, 'Venting' thread... :thumbsu::)

Seriously **** the venting thread.

This is a moment of worth for a thread, kicking over 4 times as many points as goals, or 5 times as many misses as goals if you add the out of bounds as you say.

Well worth it's own thread, we simply shouldn't be shying away from the fact we lost for one ****ing reason, and that's what this thread is about.

We should be 3-0, instead we are 2-1, and once again accuracy (or more like inaccuracy) has cost us a win again.:thumbsdown::mad:

If I didn't have the VFL game to look forward to tomorrow, I'd be going "off" right now, and would probably be getting red carded for posting on my own teams board.

I'm so pissed off about tonight, such a waste of an opportunity:(:mad:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers, so in summary you outplayed them but just couldn't kick the goals.

Simply put we outplayed them for the first 3 quarters of the game, and we simply ran out of legs in the last due to back to back 6 day breaks.

We should have been 3-4 goals up at 3/4 time, and the Saints would have come at us in a thriller.

Seriously **** the venting thread.

This is a moment of worth for a thread, kicking over 4 times as many points as goals, or 5 times as many misses as goals if you add the out of bounds as you say.

Well worth it's own thread, we simply shouldn't be shying away from the fact we lost for one ****ing reason, and that's what this thread is about.

We should be 3-0, instead we are 2-1, and once again accuracy (or more like inaccuracy) has cost us a win again.:thumbsdown::mad:

If I didn't have the VFL game to look forward to tomorrow, I'd be going "off" right now, and would probably be getting red carded for posting on my own teams board.

I'm so pissed off about tonight, such a waste of an opportunity:(:mad:.

Geez man... We're all hurting!
Our goalkicking has already been mentioned 1000 times in other threads....
Just saying! :thumbsu:

Didn't we do something similar in a pre season match against Richmond, something like 13 behinds in the last quarter alone? Not a one off problem.

Atrocious, let that game slip right out of our fingers. Kept the Saints to 10 goals, thats a great effort, yet again weren't able to close the deal.

We need a reliable key forward and just don't have one, it's a huge gaping weakness and I dare say will be what will keep us from a premiership this year.

Didn't we do something similar in a pre season match against Richmond, something like 13 behinds in the last quarter alone? Not a one off problem.

Yep I was there at Scum Park when we did that, not unsimilar to tonight we dominated, yet couldn't put it on the scoreboard.

Good to see we improved over 4 weeks.:p:mad:

Simply put we outplayed them for the first 3 quarters of the game, and we simply ran out of legs in the last due to back to back 6 day breaks.

We should have been 3-4 goals up at 3/4 time, and the Saints would have come at us in a thriller.

That's bullshit.
One side willed themself to win through more determination and class , while the other side threw in the towel. They were up against it more than us.

I think the goal kicking is the most telling fact of the whole game. I'd say thread worthy especially given it's hardly an isolated problem. I think tonight it was a mixture of poor composure, selfishness, panic and just shitful set shots. All of those facets of the game need work especially our set shots and selfishness.

It astounds me that other supporters expect accuracy when we continually kick the ball into the forward pockets and therefore have tough shots on goal. Aside from McCarthy's miss and Cloke's miss( although you can never be sure with his kicking anyway) the rest of the points were the logical outcome from avoiding the corridor.

With our game plan it will be continually be the case.

It was a field positioning thing in my mind tonight (with a few exceptions) as Kev alluded to.

partly true... but when the players are paid to kick goals..... 4.17 is just not good enough (it's not like the shots were from so called "impossible" angles)... from 21 shots on goal... i think it's fair to expect 8 goals at a minimum (which would bring us much closer to the Saints without taking into account the momentum which goals would bring

momentum is built when a team kicks a few goals in a row... when we can't do that, it's certainly deflating

Remove this Banner Ad

Back