Past 40. Michael Gibbons

Remove this Banner Ad

Fog and Gibbo are incredibly similar. No doubt it came down to contract status. Don’t think either make our best 22 with all fit and firing.

Good luck Gibbo. I have no doubt he’ll get picked up and play some good footy elsewhere.

I think the list just outgrew him being on it. He was serviceable and great value for how we got him in. And can definitely play at the level. But this whole I didn’t play midfield song and dance is a little bit of a white lie. He played in there in stints. So a bit of exaggeration there. I think as a half forward type he could have been retained but Cerra, Hewett, the growth of Kennedy, Dow’s improvement and then our young small forward brigade showing signs meant he would have been starved for opportunity in the 22.

I would have loved to keep him as depth and others needed to go before him IMO, but I know the list is in a stronger position now just over the last week and we have another young talent coming at #25 next month.

Fog and Gibbo are incredibly similar. No doubt it came down to contract status. Don’t think either make our best 22 with all fit and firing.

Good luck Gibbo. I have no doubt he’ll get picked up and play some good footy elsewhere.

Gibbo is turning 27 and Fogs was taken same draft as Dow and Obrien.

Gibbo has had three pre seasons under his belt and Fogarty one as injured previous two.

Fogarty is relentless in tackling and pressure - good year for him needs a big pre season to get better whereas Gibbo his ceiling was reached and there were no offers in a trade.

Gibbons may have wanted to play midfield but who would he have displaced? We’ve only added to our depth there, so I think we’ve clearly moved past him. He’s behind Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy, E. Curnow. Then you could easily say that we would be better served at least trying to develop Stocker, Setterfield, Dow, Kemp, Carroll etc. in there who are all high talents needing time in the middle (or we’ll end up with another SPS type situation).

No discredit to Gibbo, he filled a gap for us at the time.. but he’s too slight of body to dominate contested ball and not quick enough to be damaging breaking away from congestion.. hence why he probably didn’t get the opportunity in the midfield. He was able to dominate at VFL level based on footy smarts and work rate. He had the opportunity to lock down a small forward/half forward role but that’s clearly not his go. He’s not a natural small like Durdin or Owies nor does he possess an elite strength like all of Fisher (side step, evasion), Fogarty (tackling and defensive pressure) or Honey (explosive, x factor). It’s just hard to see where he would have got a game barring an extensive injury list.

So other players played out of position where poorly managed, but Gibbo was different? Righttt

Who were these guns that should have played ahead of Gibbons?
Gibbo and Deluca both were played predominantly as forwards, when they really are 5th-6th string mids. He can't play small forward and at the HFF role I'd have him behind Martin and Fisher clearly, and when fit behind Cunners and Fog.

I have Gibbo ahead of the likes of Newnes, but think it's not a loss to our best 25.

Scroll down the page for audio ...

FBYtwyPUYAE3Mnz

Gibbo and Deluca both were played predominantly as forwards, when they really are 5th-6th string mids. He can't play small forward and at the HFF role I'd have him behind Martin and Fisher clearly, and when fit behind Cunners and Fog.

I have Gibbo ahead of the likes of Newnes, but think it's not a loss to our best 25.

Behind Fog? Not a hope in hell. Gibbo had him covered for Goals, Goal Assist, Score Assist and Disposal efficiency. Even had him covered for clearances.

I would have played Honey over both and I wouldn't have played Betts in as many games, given we all knew he was coming to an end

So, Stamos, claim is absurd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbo is turning 27 and Fogs was taken same draft as Dow and Obrien.

Gibbo has had three pre seasons under his belt and Fogarty one as injured previous two.

Fogarty is relentless in tackling and pressure - good year for him needs a big pre season to get better whereas Gibbo his ceiling was reached and there were no offers in a trade.

The difference between the two is negligible.

If Gibbons was contracted and Fogarty wasn’t I think it’d be a different story.

I don’t think we ever saw Gibbo’s ceiling as he never played on ball. I can’t see Fog getting that opportunity either.

Cunners did a knee
Samo was being played HB
Honey, sure, but given Gibbo's output was better than Fog's, who played 16 games, Honey should have taken his place

Again, who was Gibbo keeping out, including the imaginary obvious ones

Cunners missed wasn't picked until round 6.
Samo was moved up the field against Brisbane had 19, went at 73% while Gibbo had 5, had 4 clangers. Samo got dropped.

Gibbo's output was better than Fog's? Line-ball at best, but Fog is 4 years younger.
Either way, Honey should have been in before Gibbo.

So straight up 3 players who should have been in the side ahead of Gibbo, but for Teague's favouritism.

The difference between the two is negligible.

If Gibbons was contracted and Fogarty wasn’t I think it’d be a different story.

I don’t think we ever saw Gibbo’s ceiling as he never played on ball. I can’t see Fog getting that opportunity either.

Fog did have that starring game against Freo early in the year - he'll want to have a huge pre season since he faded out dramatically as the season wore on.

I think the list just outgrew him being on it. He was serviceable and great value for how we got him in. And can definitely play at the level. But this whole I didn’t play midfield song and dance is a little bit of a white lie. He played in there in stints. So a bit of exaggeration there. I think as a half forward type he could have been retained but Cerra, Hewett, the growth of Kennedy, Dow’s improvement and then our young small forward brigade showing signs meant he would have been starved for opportunity in the 22.

I would have loved to keep him as depth and others needed to go before him IMO, but I know the list is in a stronger position now just over the last week and we have another young talent coming at #25 next month.
At 5 foot 9, was never going to take long for the list to out grow him!

Cunners missed wasn't picked until round 6.
Samo was moved up the field against Brisbane had 19, went at 73% while Gibbo had 5, had 4 clangers. Samo got dropped.

Gibbo's output was better than Fog's? Line-ball at best, but Fog is 4 years younger.
Either way, Honey should have been in before Gibbo.

So straight up 3 players who should have been in the side ahead of Gibbo, but for Teague's favouritism.

Stop bringing age into it, if that was the case those guys should of played ahead of Betts and Murphy. Not line ball at all, had Fog covered in most aspects

Bizarre Stamos, like claiming Cerra was depth? Delist Newman, Ed and Newnes?

Its like you are trying to protect the position of the younger players to remain on the list, its laughable, but I know where it is coming from

No, just no, If Honey was to play, which I agree with, Fog should have made way, then Murphy/Betts

Stop bringing age into it, if that was the case those guys should of played ahead of Betts and Murphy. Not line ball at all, had Fog covered in most aspects

Bizarre Stamos, like claiming Cerra was depth? Delist Newman, Ed and Newnes?

Its like you are trying to protect the position of the younger players to remain on the list, its laughable, but I know where it is coming from

No, just no, If Honey was to play, which I agree with, Fog should have made way, then Murphy/Betts

Well, Murphy and Betts shouldn't have been on the list, and now they're not.

Never claimed Cerra was depth?

Covered in most aspects?
Looks pretty line-ball.

Michael was nothing but a temporary stop gap. Took the punt on him but his ceiling in AFL had been reached and to be frank was handy and that's it and to keep him on would potentially take away the development opportunities for the kids which I believe will be priority. The club did best by him, just let him go! If we kept him, he would've been playing 2's the whole year. Now if there is a suitor out there for him they get to snap him up without hassle.

Voss would have had his own views on him, but he would not of been released if the coaches felt he had a place moving forward.

I reckon Gibbo gets a rookie spot at North or possibly the Suns. If played as a pure mid could be ok. Good enough to be on an AFL list IMHO and wish him well. Clubs lose players who turn up elsewhere and do well - it happens

Michael was nothing but a temporary stop gap. Took the punt on him but his ceiling in AFL had been reached and to be frank was handy and that's it and to keep him on would potentially take away the development opportunities for the kids which I believe will be priority. The club did best by him, just let him go! If we kept him, he would've been playing 2's the whole year. Now if there is a suitor out there for him they get to snap him up without hassle.

Voss would have had his own views on him, but he would not of been released if the coaches felt he had a place moving forward.

Gibbo was a victim of list cap sizes and a result of clubs being forced to tighten up salary cap space due to the Covid 19 crisis (which has resulted in this being the quietest trade and FA period in years)

if he was OOC in similar circumstances 2 or 3 years ago, I am sure he would have been given a new contract and with the greatest respect mate, I think you have sold him short as a player.

Reckon for a very young team like Gold Coast or North, he would be an excellent pick him for them for a few years.

I have no doubt he is still good enough to be on an AFL list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back