Delisted 40. Will Hayes

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the way we struggle dealing with good transition teams, the club might be more interested in fixing up a bit of a pace gap that we seem to have. Sure, there are plenty of endurance athletes on the list, but very few are express pace. From what I can remember in the reserves games I've seen, Will seems pretty quick.
Your post is a good one, and I really liked this point. There are probably plenty who will disagree, but I’ve felt our three losses this year have come when sides get us away from contested footy and play us on the outside. Even the wins such as against the Swans or Port where there have been big opposition comebacks has occurred where these teams have been able to get the ball outside of the contest.

I absolutely see the need for us to strengthen the spine. But our midfield still requires tinkering. Especially when Cuningham is the most likely bloke to provide dash, and he seems as far away as ever.

Fingers crossed it proves to be a successful selection and he can transition his great VFL form into the senior side if he is selected in the future. Sometimes the form never transitions across e.g., Nick Graham. Other times it does. I've had my reservations on picking a midfielder with the selection, but they've clearly kept a close eye on him, not just his performances at VFL level but also his efforts at training. Very much an informed decision so Will (;)) have to back the Club on this one.

Wasn't enamoured with this choice last night with our need for talls...
Thought he was Nick Graham MK2, to good for VFL, not good enough for AFL...

But, I believe in Austin and Co... If they think he's the right choice then he's the right choice...

From the highlights package, I see he has good foot skills, but likes the short kick (SPS style)
from reading here he likes to crack in and has endurance...

Does he have leg speed? AFL level leg speed?

No issue with Hayes, who actually is an endurance athlete, that has pace and hardness, something we also lack, but at 27, I would view it as a short decision, even though it addresses another weakness, like all clubs have areas to address
I’m sure David has trained him to get over a bit of ground and quicken up nicely in the home straight

Is he ahead of Newnes, Cottrell and/or LOB for a spot on a wing?

If so, could be a great value pickup...in an area we still have a big weakness in.
I have only seen about 3 of the VFL games he featured in this year.

Personally I think he offers more at VFL level than either Newnes or Cottrell.

I don't see why this couldn't translate over to AFL level. I'd say he's every bit a chance to take one of their spots on the wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looks every bit an AFL-quality player to me, but what the hell do i know!
I could be way off here, but I just can't help feeling he's going to slot perfectly in our midfield.

Even though it's a highlights package definitely has a nice kick on him, knows where to find the footy and works well in traffic.

A fair bit of ball in that vid was around wing/HF/HB and delivering into F50, perhaps Voss is thinking about a potential wing spot with his added ability to be clean in tight.

Certainly could do with some tidier disposal in the side.

Hard to see this being anything other than a further disendorsement to the prospects for Dow.

I also think the federal election, the challenge to Roe vs Wade and the refusal to bring back Polly Waffles is a further disendorsement to Dow's prospects.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back