Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a prediction.

This bloke will play more AFL games than Shai or Graham.

He is the best one on one defender in the country. Rarely loses a contest. Can play on talls and smalls, and had 24 possessions and 9 marks in the grand final.

I don't think anyone will be complaining if he ends up better than Darren Gasper.

Two time All Australian Darren Gasper

I have a prediction.

This bloke will play more AFL games than Shai or Graham.

He is the best one on one defender in the country. Rarely loses a contest. Can play on talls and smalls, and had 24 possessions and 9 marks in the grand final.

I don't think anyone will be complaining if he ends up better than Darren Gasper.

gaspar was a gun defender

Sure kicking looks strange but very similar to Taylor Hunt when short passing, Very effective as others mentioned he doesnt miss a target and he was top 3 in the goal kicking test at the combine - So long as he is effective thats all that matters really (handball also looks effective and excellent marking plays taller than his 193cm height)

More interested in his speed,agility and endurance

If his kicks make it to their intended destination, does it matter if his kicking action is a bit weird?

If his kicking action was technically sound but he was turning it over due to poor decision making, I'd be more worried. But from everything I've seen and heard, his decision making seems pretty good, and his 1 on 1 stuff is elite.

As long as we play him to his strengths, and minimize the weaknesses, he could be a fantastic pick-up for us.

He'll probably never be a rebounding tall defender like Rance is, but if he can stop the monster forwards and bring the ball to ground, or better yet take possession, we can absolutely work with that.

Simple formula really. He wins the 1 on 1, gives it off to a running player with good skills, and they take it from there. What we really need in a 2nd/3rd tall defender is someone who can beat their man on a regular basis in the air, has the aerobic capacity to stay in the game until the end, and has hardness at the ball and at the contest. He appears to bring all those traits, which already has him in the mix for Astbury's spot in 2 years time, should he not take his game to the next level.

Anyone that has watched this kid -does he tend to take the big kpf or play more on 2/3rd tall forward ?
looking at his highlights looks as though he reads the play ok and is capable of taking that intercept mark down back. That 2 handed dropping action he uses to kick might need some attention however

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darren Gasper kicking was poo; in fact Gasper kicking made McGuane's kicking look elite in comparison.

His disposal is not a worry.
He does have a awkward action
BUT Very affective in His kicking

I read somewhere his overall DE is 74% , kicking is 71%. Possible reason for 2 handed drop maybe he's been a kPF until about the last 2 seasons....

As far as his unusual kicking action goes . I tend to be a big believer in the idea .......That if it ain't broke, don't fix it....:thumbsu:

My point is more when he is under AFL level pressure to kick the footy. I dunno, maybe Im being too harsh but you don't see many dodgy kicks play 100+ games in the AFL

I sort of agree, would much prefer elite kicks in the team.
Then last night saw this years grand final replayed on Foxtel.
The norm smith medalist couldn't hit the side of a barn.

Looks like Dustin Fletcher when he kicks. That's fine with me :cool:
He's not too skinny. 84kg is a good size for his age and he shouldn't take long to get to 90kg+

I sort of agree, would much prefer elite kicks in the team.
Then last night saw this years grand final replayed on Foxtel.
The norm smith medalist couldn't hit the side of a barn.
The Dogs showed that you dont need to kick or handpass well to move the ball forward, just throw the damn thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back