Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

Not convinced to be honest looks like a plodder thats a level below AFL level

but good luck to him and hope he gets there but i would be looking for an upgrade
I understand why many feel like this but to be fair, he hasn't been given a decent run at senior level to find his feet. He looks awkward but can be effective. Also, he has trained mainly as a forward at VFL level this year but was thrown into the backline from necessity in the seniors.

I really like Ryan - seems like a great teammate & he tries his best all the time. Unfortunately, he is only a "good defender" with VFL average disposal skills. He should really be nowhere near our starting 18, but injuries have given him a chance & he is doing a honourable job at it, without really proving anyone wrong.

AFL lists are too small to persist with a guy who will never be up to a long stint at AFL level. Great clubman and elite VFL player but there's no reason he should be offered a contract next year.

The only way he can be in our team is if he adds intercept marking to his bow. I don't think he has that, even though astbury is slow he is smart and can take a good intercept grab. Garths only strength is his spoiling, and he is so slow.

Love his endeavour but would like to think we would have an upgrade lined up

AFL lists are too small to persist with a guy who will never be up to a long stint at AFL level. Great clubman and elite VFL player but there's no reason he should be offered a contract next year.

I agree, but the reality is we kept him on anyway to give us some depth in that area.

With Grimes, Astbury both another year older & Balta, Broad, Vloss all coming off bad injury years - the reality is we need mature depth in the back half more than ever. I agree we really can't keep him on our list , but unless we can get some genuine depth in the back department, what is our alternatives. This year has proven we NEED more depth in that area

The only way he can be in our team is if he adds intercept marking to his bow. I don't think he has that, even though astbury is slow he is smart and can take a good intercept grab. Garths only strength is his spoiling, and he is so slow.

Love his endeavour but would like to think we would have an upgrade lined up
only had 7 handballs and negative -10 meters gained
and only 57% de for the 7 hand balls

yeah not the best

I get really nervous when the ball is in his hands. As mentioned, can spoil and impact the contest that way but doesn't offer much else.

From what I see, most teams (and Richmond especially) play a team defence. He is very focused on beating his opponent and isn't really understanding of the team unit.

Garth has been taking good marks in the VFL as a full forward which is not showing at AFL level. He's got good spoiling skills but as a third tall. I hope plays with a bit more confidence. Looks like he's in the team until Vlas returns. Miller getting injured was a shame.
We are light on for KPD. Garth is not quite tall enough. I hope we prioritise this is the draft.

Garth has been taking good marks in the VFL as a full forward which is not showing at AFL level. He's got good spoiling skills but as a third tall. I hope plays with a bit more confidence. Looks like he's in the team until Vlas returns. Miller getting injured was a shame.
We are light on for KPD. Garth is not quite tall enough. I hope we prioritise this is the draft.
I don’t mind him to be honest. Competes really hard but probably still finding his feet at senior level. Could go either way but I like some of the things he brings. Needs to show more composure when in possession but that should come with more experience at this level.

I don’t mind him to be honest. Competes really hard but probably still finding his feet at senior level. Could go either way but I like some of the things he brings. Needs to show more composure when in possession but that should come with more experience at this level.
Spot on but Garth needs to find that composure quickly with the Geelong forward line he faces this week he will need to play out of his skin. What a great test. Hope he rises to the occassion

I agree, but the reality is we kept him on anyway to give us some depth in that area.

With Grimes, Astbury both another year older & Balta, Broad, Vloss all coming off bad injury years - the reality is we need mature depth in the back half more than ever. I agree we really can't keep him on our list , but unless we can get some genuine depth in the back department, what is our alternatives. This year has proven we NEED more depth in that area
If we ave any more injuries you might be able to say that but with our backline holding up to beat a top4 team the proof is that our backline depth is good enough. Last thing I would be doing is delisting any just yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a tough last quarter but the least of our problems.

I think the mindset around his best role needs to change a bit, he’s not an Astbury or Balta. He just doesn’t have the size to play on those monsters, he’s more of a Grimes/Broad size and better suited to play as a third call.

I still hope he’s provided a spot on the list next year.

I would like to see you, campaigners, in the backline the way we are playing at the moment. F stats he did some good work today. Ohh stats say Cotchin was great did you all think so?
Spot on ,He's been unlucky that every time he's been selected we've had plenty of players out .He could play the Broad role no problem's .

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spot on ,He's been unlucky that every time he's been selected we've had plenty of players out .He could play the Broad role no problem's .

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
What? Broad is a good mark, a good kick and finds plenty of the ball.

Garth can't do any of that. Poor man's Darren Gaspar and that's not enough in today's footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back