Player Watch #43: Todd Elton

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be more specific and say FJ has a block when it comes to drafting talls. Go through all of them since he took over in 2005 (if I remember correctly). It's been a disaster hence the current problem of not having a competitive KPF. He's not so bad with smaller players and I was happy when he picked Castagna as a rookie, Butler for speed, Daniel and Shai for x factor and even Menadue for trying to break lines. All is not lost except we need a CHF now.

The block on talls was nothing to do with FJ. Between 2005 and 2009 we took at least one in the first two rounds every draft (picks 24, 13, 18, 8, 26, 19). 2010-2016 we have taken 2 talls at pick 26 and 33.

Wonder who came across from port in 2010 as a opposition analysis/list manager.

Chol and Elton would perform the same at AFL level imo, the difference is Chol has genuine upside and much greater scope for improvement, and that's why he's worth giving a month.

Wouldn't be against it. Just try and pick him to play against a non-monster KPB. Wouldn't do much worse anyway :)

Often an early taste of AFL helps some guys along hugely. They know what they have to do, and know that the club seriously values their talent.

Chol and Elton would perform the same at AFL level imo, the difference is Chol has genuine upside and much greater scope for improvement, and that's why he's worth giving a month.
I watched the replay & Elton was not that bad. A couple of times he was in space and player with the ball didn't go to him.
I hope now that he knows how to kick a goal he doubles or triples his output next time.

What about playing them both? Drop Lloyd.

And have JR, Elton Chol & Rioli, Bolton, Castagna.
We've experimented with the no talls FWD line, why not the 3?
To answer my own qn. Because Chol is on rookie list.

Last edited:

You know what is most laughable? On draft night we said we rated him a top 10 talent and were "surprised" he was till there at pick 26, ******* FJ and all those who employed him.
Mate that's just hype and salesmanship . I mean we rated Nankervis in his draft year and didn't select him , YET we sold our second rounder for the great Hampson instead.The RFC PR machine LOL

Last edited:
No it shouldn't but it's time to find out what Chol can do as we have seen what Todd can't do.
It's pointless waking up in 2021 and start giving Chol a run of senior games like we have with Elton in his six seasons and finding out he doesn't cut it!
agree but only if Chol has done enough to displace him in the seniors. Chol is still very raw, and Elton has a bigger body than him. i can see Chol getting a crack later in the year and then really hitting his strides next year. Shame Moore has gone down injured - i think he's next in line for a senior berth.

I watched the replay & Elton was not that bad. A couple of times he was in space and player with the ball didn't go to him.
I hope now that he knows how to kick a goal he doubles or triples his output next time.

What about playing them both? Drop Lloyd.

And have JR, Elton Chol & Rioli, Bolton, Castagna.
We've experimented with the no talls FWD line, why not the 3?
To answer my own qn. Because Chol is on rookie list.
I've been saying this for the whole season. i was at the gabba game and was amazed how often he got burnt on the lead coz the team was looking for Jack the whole time. Elton is quite good in the air and at least halves the contest. he's actually really good at bringing the small players around him into the play.

Mate that's just hype ans salesmanship . I mean we rated Nankervis in his draft year and didn't select him , YET we sold our second rounder for the great Hampson instead.The RFC PR machine LOL
I was sick when we traded for Hampson at the time, Could not believe we paid a 2nd rounder + $400k for this bloke

Was even more sickened when we re contracted him - Has to be delisted and paid out we are just wasting a list spot with this spud

I was sick when we traded for Hampson at the time, Could not believe we paid a 2nd rounder + $400k for this bloke

Was even more sickened when we re contracted him - Has to be delisted and paid out we are just wasting a list spot with this spud
Agree , but he's not the worst we've given up good picks for.

I've been saying this for the whole season. i was at the gabba game and was amazed how often he got burnt on the lead coz the team was looking for Jack the whole time. Elton is quite good in the air and at least halves the contest. he's actually really good at bringing the small players around him into the play.

Maybe he doesn't have a voice. if jack got burnt he'd let em know.

The block on talls was nothing to do with FJ. Between 2005 and 2009 we took at least one in the first two rounds every draft (picks 24, 13, 18, 8, 26, 19). 2010-2016 we have taken 2 talls at pick 26 and 33.

Wonder who came across from port in 2010 as a opposition analysis/list manager.
Fair enough and I suppose I'm thinking of FJ as being the last word on the day and I'm sure you would know more than me about the intricacies of the recruiting dept. The more I think about your comment the worse it can look though. Why did they stop recruiting talls in the draft? Did they believe Post, Vickery, Griffiths, Elton, McBean would prove to be the key. Maybe it is the development more so than the recruiting but when I think back to Vickery for example, as much as I wished for him, I always thought he was unco on a football field and I still do.

not sure if team selection should be based on "he couldnt do any worse"
Sadly, it probably should be for this guy. He has been given enough chances to make a mark and still looks lost. I'd argue picking him is going into a match a man down.

However. If picked (wow), good luck and another chance to make a mark but personally, I just can't see it happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You seem to throw money figures a lot without any real idea

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Vickery and griff were gifted 65 -90 games with minimal output.

Give him time.

As others have said, he halves every contest he gets to which is more than what griff was doing.

I agree that he needs to hit the scoreboard a bit more but players need to look for him as well.

This isn't the first time you also said Lennon was on 400k. Seems like a guess mate
Yes and both Grigg & Houli came across on at $350 k a year.

Do you believe Shaun Hampson who had a contract offer on the table at Carlton and we had to trade for him came to Richmond for less than what he was getting - Really ?

Yes and both Grigg & Houli came across on at $350 k a year.

Do you believe Shaun Hampson who had a contract offer on the table at Carlton and we had to trade for him came to Richmond for less than what he was getting - Really ?
My point isn't about Hampson specifically. You also said Lennon is on 400k which I don't believe for a second

My point isn't about Hampson specifically. You also said Lennon is on 400k which I don't believe for a second
I really dont care what you believe to be perfectly hones, Your opinion doesnt mean anything to me.

Last year shaun Hampson was our #1 ruckman having a decent year and we had Ivan on his last legs looking to retire and Soldo as a rookie showing he's 3-4 years away and Hampson the only Ruckman on the list - August 2016 he and Lloyd signed 2 year deals

Crossing from Carlton we gave up a early 2nd rounder for him, So for a player that we were so desperate to get How much Do you believe he was paid ?

Lennons $$$ I know for a fact and have told a few on here how i know.

Now you tell me why i am wrong

I really dont care what you believe to be perfectly hones, Your opinion doesnt mean anything to me.

Last year shaun Hampson was our #1 ruckman having a decent year and we had Ivan on his last legs looking to retire and Soldo as a rookie showing he's 3-4 years away and Hampson the only Ruckman on the list - August 2016 he and Lloyd signed 2 year deals

Crossing from Carlton we gave up a early 2nd rounder for him, So for a player that we were so desperate to get How much Do you believe he was paid ?

Lennons $$$ I know for a fact and have told a few on here how i know.

Now you tell me why i am wrong
Your not wrong. I just think your guessing

Was at the Gabba as well - how come you didn't say hello!:D

You would have also seen big Elton lose in the body on body contests at ground level AGAINST much smaller players - Rich was one I think. He can halve a contest in the air if not pushed off the line, but on the ground he has no core which amazed me. He has to handball, can't kick for nuts (so far at least). Has no tank - can't do repeat hit ups. And still we can say he's not the worsto_O Sad state of affairs that we have to say Garthwaite should be given a crack. He has the right to a season at VFL for his development and confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back