Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't watch the game live but watched the replay on Sunday. I knew about his running goal because I saw something about it on FB, but hadn't seen it yet so I was keeping an eye out for it. I half expected to see the goal 3 or 4 times before he actually did it because he was up and about in that first half. What a player.

still feeling chagrin at how much I wrote this bloke off
corsojig_medium.gif

Hi folks - My mate did an interview with Conor this week for one of the main Irish papers which I figured you might be interested in having a look at. The interview is pretty general and is quite Gaelic Football focused given Conor's county Tyrone are playing in the All Ireland semi final (Prelim equivalent) this weekend, however you guys might find a few tidbits in there to your liking.

He's also a very genuine, humble and obliging fella according to the interviewer.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gae...onor-mckenna-on-rise-down-under-36059871.html

The 21-year-old knew this campaign would be make or break for his AFL ambitions, and as he prepares for his 17th successive senior game on Sunday, and his 32nd in total, it's obvious what side of the ledger his 2017 already falls on.

"The third or fourth year tends to be massive for players out here, so to play 16 games in a row now has been brilliant," McKenna told the Irish Independent.

"To be in the team every week is great for the confidence. If you're in for two games and then out again it can be very difficult mentally."

Hi folks - My mate did an interview with Conor this week for one of the main Irish papers which I figured you might be interested in having a look at. The interview is pretty general and is quite Gaelic Football focused given Conor's county Tyrone are playing in the All Ireland semi final (Prelim equivalent) this weekend, however you guys might find a few tidbits in there to your liking.

He's also a very genuine, humble and obliging fella according to the interviewer.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gae...onor-mckenna-on-rise-down-under-36059871.html
Thank you for sharing this

I'm totally not going to be worried that every post in this thread from hereon is impending disaster...

"McKenna insists that returning to play for Tyrone's seniors also remains high on his bucket list, along with a lofty ambition to emulate the remarkable double feat achieved by Tadhg Kennelly.

"I'm still thinking about returning one day, I just don't know when. Ideally I'd like to do what Tadhg Kennelly did and win a Premiership out here and go home and win an All-Ireland in Croke Park, that would be unbelievable," he said."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm totally not going to be worried that every post in this thread from hereon is impending disaster...

"McKenna insists that returning to play for Tyrone's seniors also remains high on his bucket list, along with a lofty ambition to emulate the remarkable double feat achieved by Tadhg Kennelly.

"I'm still thinking about returning one day, I just don't know when. Ideally I'd like to do what Tadhg Kennelly did and win a Premiership out here and go home and win an All-Ireland in Croke Park, that would be unbelievable," he said."
Eh, this is kind of an improvement from stuff he's said in the past...if he helps win us a flag, he can do what he damn well likes afterwards, as far as I'm concerned :neutral:

Its like he's learning something new every week, putting it into action and expanding his game, was drawing players to him this week and getting the link up handball to a player in a better position

he's probably the best example for just leaving talented youngsters in the 22. or 'gifting' them games, mckenna was garbage in his first few...

he's probably the best example for just leaving talented youngsters in the 22. or 'gifting' them games, mckenna was garbage in his first few...
Football teams are all about individuals and getting the best out of that player according to their personality. McKenna is one that has responded to playing in the seniors and you could say that McGrath and Parish have similar personality traits.

Then you have others like Gleeson, Hartley or Langford who go into their shells when confronted with a challenge and are best to be handled differently.

If all the players were the same then I'm sure it would be an easy choice but people aren't all the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back