Senior 46. Matthew Cottrell

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats young ranga. Is an absolute favourite with my gorgeous red-haired missus(and has my utmost respect)

Very bankable type who may not always hold down a best 22 spot, as other players develop, but will always be thereabouts. Literally sets the pace on the training track giving our youngsters something to chase. One less conundrum regarding our end of season list management heartache. Surely will be on a budget rate, with three years a clear flag of the mutual admiration of club and player.

Tightens the screws some more on our other out of contract small to medium forwards. Durdin, Owies, Fogarty, Cuningham, and to a lesser extent Elijah “ on probation” Hollands, and often injured Martin. Logic says likely two from that group will be gone, or at least pushed to a re-rookie situation to stay on the list. Situation no win.

There’s definitely room for guys like Crazy Eyes Cottrell. Fair to say is borderline AFL in terms of skill set, but brings tremendous fitness, effort, energy and durability. A blue collar contributor who will be valued around the club for years to come. Good job, Cotts.

I, too, think 3 years sounds like a lot, so I’m sure this has been done for a reason. Club likely paying relatively low figure and giving him certainty.

I think he’s the sort of bloke that can play a role in big finals, on a big stage. He’ll be ready for his moments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back