Player Watch #47: Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

Was definitely crook, playing sore or copped a very early knock/niggle.

50% down on his usual game time at half time (spent literally half the first half on the bench and way more than usual hiding up forward when he was on), but we had no choice but to play him for longer 2nd half, Marbs was knackered.

Impossible to judge his performance without knowing the full inside story, but I suspect and hope it's a temporary issue.

someone here said he looked injured last week, but yeh we had little choice

someone here said he looked injured last week, but yeh we had little choice

Hehe...that comment was from "last week", or four days ago, I'm starting to lose track. ;)

Soldo was good tonight, plenty of good HTA's without which our mids would have had even fewer useful touches.

He beat Lycett clearly for output, Ladhams' had the better of Marbs' output, but more by being able to play longer game time than anything else, that extra big man around the ground and drifting forward while Marbs was on the bench or resting forward really gave them a significant advantage at times.

Add Ladhams to the long list of players who have their career best game against us. ;)

Hehe...that comment was from "last week", or four days ago, I'm starting to lose track. ;)

Soldo was good tonight, plenty of good HTA's without which our mids would have had even fewer useful touches.

He beat Lycett clearly for output, Ladhams' had the better of Marbs' output, but more by being able to play longer game time than anything else, that extra big man around the ground and drifting forward while Marbs was on the bench or resting forward really gave them a significant advantage at times.

Add Ladhams to the long list of players who have their career best game against us. ;)
I like Soldo as a developing player but we need Nankervis back ASAP

it's really hard to tell whether soldo is shite or our mids are just clueless

why does he make a a really good tap towards our forward half, then none of our players are there and the oppos get it "? s**t makes absolutely no sense

how can our ruckman make such a good clean tap forward and none of our players are around?

s**t is ****ed

it's really hard to tell whether soldo is sh*te or our mids are just clueless

why does he make a a really good tap towards our forward half, then none of our players are there and the oppos get it "? sh*t makes absolutely no sense

how can our ruckman make such a good clean tap forward and none of our players are around?

sh*t is f’ed
Our mids are clueless they don't know where he is going to tap the ball. We have to play CCJ before it's too late.

why does he make a a really good tap towards our forward half, then none of our players are there and the oppos get it "? sh*t makes absolutely no sense

sh*t is f’ed

He does so little around the ground and half the time when he does something it's crap, there's just so many errors. If the whole tap thing is not working to the teams advantage it's hard to work out why he is actually out there. Desperately need Nankervis back and we also need to hope and pray that Coleman-Jones makes it.

sh*t is f’ed
He does so little around the ground and half the time when he does something it's crap, there's just so many errors. If the whole tap thing is not working to the teams advantage it's hard to work out why he is actually out there. Desperately need Nankervis back and we also need to hope and pray that Coleman-Jones makes it.

Soldo backed up in four days off being obviously crook Tuesday night and gave us 10 hitouts to advantage tonight, Nank has exceeded that number of HTA's three times in his whole career. That's with mostly our best midfielders available, in premiership years.

One of those occasions was rucking against Jake Spencer, the other two were against Kreuzer and Jacobs way back in 2017 who had way more hitouts than he did and way more HTA's for the game.

So I mean, people can argue that Nank gives us more first use, but it simply isn't true. They could also argue that 10 HTA's in a game is not good enough, but with Grundy averaging 9.4, Gawn averaging 10.2 and Goldstein averaging 8.1 for the year, that's a pretty hard case to make.

So a worn down Soldo in his 30th game, sporting a big fat mouse under one of the eyes that's it's kinda nice to be able to see out of properly when you're doing what he does, did pretty bloody well for us tonight in the scheme of things.

As I've been obliged to point out several times this season, Grundy, Gawn and Goldstein are knocking it down to the same veteran mids week after week and season after season. They've had years to work on who is going to be where when and they've fine tuned their systems hundreds of times during that period. Soldo would have been lucky to even have the same midfield to work with twice in a row for his entire career.

Soldo wins more hitouts than he loses, gets a HTA 29% of the time, Gawn goes @ 32%, Grundy @ 27%, Goldstein @ 26%.

Tonight he had a HTA ratio of 34.5% and almost had more hitouts than the entire Port ruck division, who got many of them against Chol. They're elite numbers.

Some of his hitout 'misses' didn't look great at face value today, but good midfield's cover for those and do way better with the ones to advantage than we managed tonight.

Yes, he's got areas to improve on, influence around the ground, marking etc., but it's really hard to argue - from anything other than ignorance or bias - that he's not doing exceptionally for a bloke from a non-football background so early into his career. None of the elite rucks were doing as well as him this early on.

Our mids are clueless they don't know where he is going to tap the ball. We have to play CCJ before it's too late.

Chol eats CCJ alive for fitness, endurance and athleticism, yet we use Soldo to make sure he's getting <60% game time - so he can actually compete effectively, as much forward as rucking. Soldo carries the much heavier load against the no.1 rucks, a load which would break both Chol and CCJ pretty quickly if they were asked to carry it instead (or in combination).

Going in without either Nank or Soldo would put us at a massive disadvantage against most teams. As I've said numerous times, it's Chol keeping CCJ out - apart from him having a stress fracture in his foot - he's at least a year or two away from even being a contender for the no.1 ruck spot or the ruck/forward slot and both Soldo and Chol have a ton of improvement left in them, so he'll be chasing moving targets.

Soldo backed up in four days off being obviously crook Tuesday night and gave us 10 hitouts to advantage tonight, Nank has exceeded that number of HTA's three times in his whole career. That's with mostly our best midfielders available, in premiership years.

One of those occasions was rucking against Jake Spencer, the other two were against Kreuzer and Jacobs way back in 2017 who had way more hitouts than he did and way more HTA's for the game.

So I mean, people can argue that Nank gives us more first use, but it simply isn't true. They could also argue that 10 HTA's in a game is not good enough, but with Grundy averaging 9.4, Gawn averaging 10.2 and Goldstein averaging 8.1 for the year, that's a pretty hard case to make.

So a worn down Soldo in his 30th game, sporting a big fat mouse under one of the eyes that's it's kinda nice to be able to see out of properly when you're doing what he does, did pretty bloody well for us tonight in the scheme of things.

As I've been obliged to point out several times this season, Grundy, Gawn and Goldstein are knocking it down to the same veteran mids week after week and season after season. They've had years to work on who is going to be where when and they've fine tuned their systems hundreds of times during that period. Soldo would have been lucky to even have the same midfield to work with twice in a row for his entire career.

Soldo wins more hitouts than he loses, gets a HTA 29% of the time, Gawn goes @ 32%, Grundy @ 27%, Goldstein @ 26%.

Tonight he had a HTA ratio of 34.5% and almost had more hitouts than the entire Port ruck division, who got many of them against Chol. They're elite numbers.

Some of his hitout 'misses' didn't look great at face value today, but good midfield's cover for those and do way better with the ones to advantage than we managed tonight.

Yes, he's got areas to improve on, influence around the ground, marking etc., but it's really hard to argue - from anything other than ignorance or bias - that he's not doing exceptionally for a bloke from a non-football background so early into his career. None of the elite rucks were doing as well as him this early on.

Chol eats CCJ alive for fitness, endurance and athleticism, yet we use Soldo to make sure he's getting <60% game time - so he can actually compete effectively, as much forward as rucking. Soldo carries the much heavier load against the no.1 rucks, a load which would break both Chol and CCJ pretty quickly if they were asked to carry it instead (or in combination).

Going in without either Nank or Soldo would put us at a massive disadvantage against most teams. As I've said numerous times, it's Chol keeping CCJ out - apart from him having a stress fracture in his foot - he's at least a year or two away from even being a contender for the no.1 ruck spot or the ruck/forward slot and both Soldo and Chol have a ton of improvement left in them, so he'll be chasing moving targets.
I don't disagree with a lot of what your saying Rayzor, but Nank gives us better follow up pressure when the ball hits the deck, and that's not bagging Soldo in that area, it's just that Nank to me is much more intense in that area. Soldo has him covered in hit outs, no doubt, but we got absolutely smashed out of the centre last night and Nank would have helped in that area, in my opinion. Nankervis was showing fantastic form before he got injured and I'm just praying he can bring that back when he returns.
In regards to last nights loss, there's zero doubt we badly missed the captain, along with Shedda and Prestia in the centre bounces. To get hammered as badly as we did in there is the reason we lost I think.
While disappointed with the loss, I'm 100% sure that if we met them again, we will be well and truly ready for what they bring, as we don't generally lose twice to the same side in a season. And to have the injured players returning will make a massive difference. Don't think the 4 day break helped us either and Port certainly set themselves for that game. Confident we'll will get them next time regardless of where we meet them. But they were very good, no doubt.

Correct me if I am wrong, but our starting midfield during last years finals series included Cotchin , Prestia and Edwards . We won a flag with Shaun Grigg rucking and often not competing .
The reason we got smashed in the clearances last night rest with the small midfielders not Soldo.

Correct me if I am wrong, but our starting midfield during last years finals series included Cotchin , Prestia and Edwards . We won a flag with Shaun Grigg rucking and often not competing .
The reason we got smashed in the clearances last night rest with the small midfielders not Soldo.
Agreed but Nankervis missing also hurt us imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be appropriate that the club who first brought wingers over 6ft to the top level were also the first to bring a pair of 195+ guys to the role together. I wonder if the need for pro-active positioning as a winger might hamper this pair of developing players in that role and if they are better off playing positions where the sherrin is brought to them?
They’ve tried Westhoff on the wing a couple of times and there was the failed attempt with Blicvas.
Tough position, every phase of play on the skinny side in all three areas and one step ahead of the game on the other to stop the switch and cover for others.
Really have to be able to play well without the ball but there is something about Chol and the way he moves in traffic and you can see he is team first.
Interesting idea.

I don't disagree with a lot of what your saying Rayzor, but Nank gives us better follow up pressure when the ball hits the deck, and that's not bagging Soldo in that area, it's just that Nank to me is much more intense in that area. Soldo has him covered in hit outs, no doubt, but we got absolutely smashed out of the centre last night and Nank would have helped in that area, in my opinion. Nankervis was showing fantastic form before he got injured and I'm just praying he can bring that back when he returns.

At his best Nank does give us more at ground level and outside of ruck contests, but when he was fresher earlier in the season Soldo was really following up well and was leading the comp for ruckmen tackling. That side of his game has dropped away as he's tired and been forced to pick and choose his contests more, but it's clearly a feature of his game when he's right, also worth noting that Nank has also fallen away in past seasons as he accumulates more niggles.

There's going to be obvious questions about how well Nank will come back (again), it's a tough injury to come back from at your best, all we can do is hope he can overcome it.

In regards to last nights loss, there's zero doubt we badly missed the captain, along with Shedda and Prestia in the centre bounces. To get hammered as badly as we did in there is the reason we lost I think.
While disappointed with the loss, I'm 100% sure that if we met them again, we will be well and truly ready for what they bring, as we don't generally lose twice to the same side in a season. And to have the injured players returning will make a massive difference. Don't think the 4 day break helped us either and Port certainly set themselves for that game. Confident we'll will get them next time regardless of where we meet them. But they were very good, no doubt.

All good points, I think the flight was the biggest killer, it's like a Melbourne to Perth trip then playing same day. With the pace of yesterday's game I expected us to fall away earlier, the players are not superhuman, but they managed a good imitation of it for three quarters.

They’ve tried Westhoff on the wing a couple of times and there was the failed attempt with Blicvas.
Tough position, every phase of play on the skinny side in all three areas and one step ahead of the game on the other to stop the switch and cover for others.
Really have to be able to play well without the ball but there is something about Chol and the way he moves in traffic and you can see he is team first.
Interesting idea.

We got a great taste of well Chol could go out there yesterday with the play that ended in Reiwoldt's goal, probably our best individual effort of the day. Was really something to see the big man in full flight, looked unstoppable and showed the wheels and ball handling of a gun winger.

Easy to blame Soldo for the hit outs to opposition, but there is a midfield problem to for me there no connection and we can't win a clearance let's be honest without Prestia.

Easy to blame Soldo for the hit outs to opposition, but there is a midfield problem to for me there no connection and we can't win a clearance let's be honest without Prestia.

We had been getting some brilliant centre clearances in previous matches without Prestia but got absolutely hammered in that area v Port. Soldo looked battered again Brisbane then has to back up 4 days later because all possible replacements in Nankervis, CCJ and even Biggy Nyuon are injured.

I am pretty sure Soldo will appreciate the 9 day hiatus ahead now and it is probably a case of saying welcome to AFL footy big fella, you probably won’t ever get a tougher run. I really like Soldo, I just think you have to be realistic with him, and by and large we are. I am grateful for his valiant effort to play through obvious adversity and looking forward to seeing what he can do after a bit of me time.

We had been getting some brilliant centre clearances in previous matches without Prestia but got absolutely hammered in that area v Port. Soldo looked battered again Brisbane then has to back up 4 days later because all possible replacements in Nankervis, CCJ and even Biggy Nyuon are injured.

I am pretty sure Soldo will appreciate the 9 day hiatus ahead now and it is probably a case of saying welcome to AFL footy big fella, you probably won’t ever get a tougher run. I really like Soldo, I just think you have to be realistic with him, and by and large we are. I am grateful for his valiant effort to play through obvious adversity and looking forward to seeing what he can do after a bit of me time.

You can really see the future unfolding before our eyes when Soldo's been knocking it into space ahead of Bolton and he's just been burning his opponents with pure pace and kicking deep inside-50. Can you remember a sight like that from two players in Richmond jumpers this century?

I guess you could make a case for a young Dustin Martin, but for mine, there wasn't the same pure pace, nor the several times a game repetition.

So if Soldo makes no difference in regard to tap out/clearances, Nank gives so more around the ground and in the packs and tends to neutralise tap outs. Except against Gawn and Nic Nat who are just to big.

Soldo was better against NicNat in the ruck than Nank (Nank wasn't bad). In most cases, you would probably go with Nank as the No 1 ruck - most tapouts don't give a team much advantage. The exceptions are NicNat and, to a lesser extent, Gawn. Otherwise, most tapout statistics are just noise.

Soldo managed to neutralise NicNat's taps (he still got a couple away - he's pretty good), but overall Soldo managed him. And around the ground, NicNat was nearly invisible (good goal), while both Richmond rucks had some influence.

Soldo was better against NicNat in the ruck than Nank (Nank wasn't bad). In most cases, you would probably go with Nank as the No 1 ruck - most tapouts don't give a team much advantage. The exceptions are NicNat and, to a lesser extent, Gawn. Otherwise, most tapout statistics are just noise.

Soldo managed to neutralise NicNat's taps (he still got a couple away - he's pretty good), but overall Soldo managed him. And around the ground, NicNat was nearly invisible (good goal), while both Richmond rucks had some influence.
It was a good return to footy for Nank. Another Soldo-like performance from Soldo. A few more scores maybe. Freo next is it? Lobb & someone. If Ivvy needs rest then make it this week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back