• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

living_in_syd

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2009
sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
I think in the preseason we need to try soldo with taranto/hopper/prestia at his feet.

Yesterday we saw what nank could do. Not much change from last year with clearances. Yeah nank might give you more around the ground, but isnt the point the clearances the root problem?

We need a ruck that compliments the new recruits. Not do the same thing in terms of another big bodied mid.

Only problem is nank is captain, so it’s unlikely we will drop him soldo which is a shame. Thats why i dont like making rucks captain unless they are lock as no 1 like gawn.

Since the 2019 Preliminary Final Collingwood vs GWS I’ve not given a single s**t about hit outs. The last quarter in particular proved how useless winning the hit out is.

Of course RFC already knew that in 2017 which is why we played a sub 200cm ruck and a midfielder as back up on the way to a drought breaking flag.

Nank makes us a better clearance and much better post clearance side in comparison to Soldo IMO. He’s also the captain and makes the team walk taller.

Nank on one leg still ahead of Soldo for me. Let Hopper and Taranto find their feet a bit more, I’m sure they will all wax much better in the second half of the year

I was hoping Nank would have worked over summer improving his tapwork after getting his ass handed to him by McStay in last years EF, he clearly hasn't so yes, theres a problem here. Soldo needs a tryout against Melbourne next week and what better opportunity than against Grundy & Gawn. Norf had no Goldstein, Cunnington, Simpkin or Greenwood, they were the woodenspooners last year but their second tier midfield held their own against our best mids. From what I saw it was clearly Nanks tapwork (or lack of it) thats the problem.

I think in the preseason we need to try soldo with taranto/hopper/prestia at his feet.

Yesterday we saw what nank could do. Not much change from last year with clearances. Yeah nank might give you more around the ground, but isnt the point the clearances the root problem?

We need a ruck that compliments the new recruits. Not do the same thing in terms of another big bodied mid.

Only problem is nank is captain, so it’s unlikely we will drop him soldo which is a shame. Thats why i dont like making rucks captain unless they are lock as no 1 like gawn.
One practice match in and you are advocating/posing the question for change.
New ruckman tapping to two new recruits, might give them a moment longer to gel and see how it pans out.

Last year was hardly a precedent setting example. Nank tapping to Cotchin, who did well but is past his prime to say the least and Prestia who again did well like he always does. After that comes Short who has never won a clearance in his career, Baker at times who tries hard but hardly and seasoned mid and a few others that never got going.

Besides Soldo is not exactly a gun ruckman, he wasn't bad in his prime but he was very average last year and hasn't really played a part in a long while. I'm sure he will get a chance at some stage but Nank is the captain and won't be dropped in a hurry.

Nank is #1 Ruck and offers alot more around the ground and i see miller as a better 2nd Ruck / Fwd option going foward and with Jack in his last year Ryan will also be in the team to rotate through the ruck. Soldo for me is just a backup for when and if Nank is injured and will most likely be at another club in 1-2 years time.

I was hoping Nank would have worked over summer improving his tapwork after getting his ass handed to him by McStay in last years EF, he clearly hasn't so yes, theres a problem here.
In last year's Elimination final, McStay had 10 hit outs and Nank had 41. Richmond won the hitouts 55-16. Brisbane won the clearances 46-40. The Richmond player with the most clearances was - Nank (2nd most on the ground behind Neale). Nank was actually our leading possession winner overall.

I accept stats aren't everything, but clearances are an incredibly complicated piece of play. Because they start from a stationary situation (ball-up or throw-in), each team can set up their offensive and defensive structures. And over the last 6 seasons we haven't been very good at clearance numbers. The last year when we had more games where we had more clearances than the opposition was 2015. In 2018, when we were clearly the best team all year (up to the prelim) we only had 4 games (out of 24) where we 'won' the clearances count. This means one of three things:

A) We suck at clearances
B) Clearance numbers aren't that significant
or
C) A and B

In 2021, Melbourne had Gawn - clearly the most dominant ruck in the game. The won the hitouts in 22 of 25 games. They won the clearances in less than half their games.
Last year, Geelong - again the best side all year, won the clearance count in less than half their games. In the grand final, they had nearly double the hitouts of Sydney, but Sydney still had more clearances (more centre clearances, too). If I remember, Geelong were lucky to squeak over the line in that game.....................

Last edited:

I haven't been able to watch yesterday's praccy but from the comments in the game thread it seemed like our clearances were ok at best, against last year's wooden spooners. I know it takes time but I don't think Nank is going to provide silver platter service to our mids and think Soldo is better at this. If it were possible, I'd have Soldo take centre ruckwork and Nank for everything else. 666 just makes centre clearance work so dangerous.

In last year's Elimination final, McStay had 10 hit outs and Nank had 41. Richmond won the hitouts 55-16. Brisbane won the clearances 46-40. The Richmond player with the most clearances was - Nank (2nd most on the ground behind Neale). Nank was actually our leading possession winner overall.

I accept stats aren't everything, but clearances are an incredibly complicated piece of play. Because they start from a stationary situation (ball-up or throw-in), each team can set up their offensive and defensive structures. And over the last 6 seasons we haven't been very good at clearance numbers. The last year when we had more games where we had more clearances than the opposition was 2015. In 2018, when we were clearly the best team all year (up to the prelim) we only had 4 games (out of 24) where we 'won' the clearances count. This means one of three things:

A) We suck at clearances
B) Clearance numbers aren't that significant
or
C) A and B

In 2021, Melbourne had Gawn - clearly the most dominant ruck in the game. The won the hitouts in 22 of 25 games. They won the clearances in less than half their games.
Last year, Geelong - again the best side all year, won the clearance count in less than half their games. In the grand final, they had nearly double the hitouts of Sydney, but Sydney still had more clearances. If I remember, Geelong were lucky to squeak over the line in that game.....................
Half of it is the way Nank rucks, because of his height he knows he cant beat most ruckmen in the air, so he stays grounded and tries to outbody his opponent, this is the problem I have with Nank, its not proactive in giving our mids first use. hes great at clearances and second efforts but it could be a hell of a lot easier with a taller better tapruckman.

Against brisbane ef, their no1 ruck went down, nank started grabbing it out of the air and we still lost clearances. Our mids need first use…
That wasn’t a ruck problem, Nank was in the top 4 on the ground that night, that was us just getting bullied by a younger, bigger, stronger and faster midfield unit

Taranto and Hopper change that entire equation so I wouldn’t be worrying about rucks at this point

What they offer around the ground is far more important compared to a few hit outs to advantage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't been able to watch yesterday's praccy but from the comments in the game thread it seemed like our clearances were ok at best, against last year's wooden spooners. I know it takes time but I don't think Nank is going to provide silver platter service to our mids and think Soldo is better at this. If it were possible, I'd have Soldo take centre ruckwork and Nank for everything else. 666 just makes centre clearance work so dangerous.
I was the first practice game of the year with a brand new centre set up. There might be a time for this argument but it's not now.

Half of it is the way Nank rucks, because of his height he knows he cant beat most ruckmen in the air, so he stays grounded and tries to outbody his opponent, this is the problem I have with Nank, its not proactive in giving our mids first use. hes great at clearances and second efforts but it could be a hell of a lot easier with a taller better tapruckman.
But as Wallaby pointed out, the two do not necessarily equate. Seems logical but it seems it's not.

Okay lets see how the season pans out.

But my main conclusion is nank is not a lock at no1 ruck and as such should not be captain unless we are prepared to drop him. Its pretty demoralising if you are a 2/3rd ruck waiting for your opportunity if ruck is never going to be dropped.

But my main conclusion is nank is not a lock at no1 ruck and as such should not be captain unless we are prepared to drop him. Its pretty demoralising if you are a 2/3rd ruck waiting for your opportunity if ruck is never going to be dropped.
Could say that about any player, we went through times when Cotch wouldn’t of arguably been best 22 and suffered some horrific form slumps and could of been relegated to the vfl

Also need to remember a lot more comes with the title than what we see on gameday we don’t see 80% of what the boys do on a day to day basis

He has 3 premierships in his pocket and one of the best ruckman (all round) in the game in my eyes, so he is going nowhere.

All the reports are Soldo is in much better shape this year and moving better. That at the very least gives huge reassurance that we have him to call upon if needed either as a back up to T Nankervis or to give a different mix if needed in big games.

Looking forward to seeing what Soldo the thirst crusher can do in 2023, but Toby always plays if fit and in reasonable form.

I reckon soldo has the 1 or 2 taps a game that look real sexy for sure but overall there isn't actually a discernible difference in that area between the 2 and nank is better elsewhere for now at least

Back