Analysis Who should be delisted ,traded or retired at the end of the year. (2023)

Who should be delisted, traded or retired at the end of the year. (2023)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Retirements of older players may save a couple of the younger guys from the axe

New coach will cast a keen eye over them next year to see if they get another go.

Ralphsmith is an obvious one who wont escape the axe. Plenty of time now and just doesn't have it.

We don't have any low draft picks so there is no need to clean out our younger brigade.

Castagna and Tarrant, Jack and Cotchin means 4 new places. I would say Biggy is not going to get much better and there is no real place for him back or forward. 5. Colina should be 6 but they might keep him to see if he can actually play.

I think one of Hugo, Sonsie, Cumberland or Dow might ask for a trade. Maybe KMac might see an opportunity to head home and sign a 2-3 year deal with WC. Graham might net us a lowish draft pic.

Easily 7 or 8 changes without cutting any young developing player minus Biggy.

Offer club favorable contracts to the following players:

Bauer 2 years elevate to senior list
Bradtke re-rookie
Campbell re-rookie
Coulthard re-rookie
Dow 1 year
Graham 2 years
Mansell 2 years
McIntosh 1 year
Pickett 1 year
Ralphsmith 1-2 years
Trezise re-rookie

That would mean that list changes before the trade period would be: Castagna Cotchin Riewoldt & Tarrant all retired, with Nyoun and Colina delisted as they offer no trade value.

Some may ask why I'm re-signing everyone else, they're only staying on our terms. So if the likes of Graham McIntosh & Ralphsmith want to explore their options elsewhere they are welcome to. I wouldn't be trading Soldo unless we got a deal that was heavily in our favor as he provides idea coverage for Nankervis if he goes down again, which is possible given his history. As much as people don't seem to value Dow, I've liked what I've seen from him at VFL level and with our lack of young midfield talent coming through I'd give him another year under a new coach to see if he can step into a role that gets opened up by Cotchin departing. A 1 year deal on minimum money doesn't really hurt us in that regard. With regards the likes of McIntosh & Pickett I'd be keeping them around, but they're not going to be the automatic selections they seemingly are this year instead they'll become the depth that is back up to younger options coming through.

Have to keep Soldo Ryan is just not ready and personally think he is no good. We don't have any other ruckman.
Ryan will be fine after one more preseason and you don't need 3 capable 1st rucks on your list. I rate Ryan highly, he has dropped off lately but has huge potential and showed some great signs. If we traded Soldo we'd need to draft another ruck for sure though. Then we have Miller for one more year if we get desperate too.

I think it'll be a big mistake retiring Cotchin. He's still better than Hopper, Graham & Sonsie, retiring a guy that good is nuts. Maybe if Ross moves to the midfield and Banks takes his spot on the wing, thats the only way I'll accept Cotchin retiring this year.
If it’s his personal choice not much you can do. Next year should mostly be about the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it'll be a big mistake retiring Cotchin. He's still better than Hopper, Graham & Sonsie, retiring a player that good is nuts. Maybe if Ross moves to the midfield and Banks takes his spot on the wing, thats the only way I'll accept Cotchin retiring this year.
LOL no he isn't. As for "retiring a player that good is nuts", please. He's not 'that good' anymore. He's a role player at best and we need to get the next gen in. The midfield balance with all of Prestia, Cotchin, Hopper and Taranto playing is way too slow and inside. We're desperate for Sonsies dual sided foot skills to come in. He should play from round 1 next season. Graham is far more mobile than Trent and that is a requirement of the high half forward role.

You better get used to the idea, Trent is gorne.

If it’s his personal choice not much you can do. Next year should mostly be about the future.
nah our list is still good enough to challenge

with big sexy in the side we'd be top 4

hopefully louie meehan isnt there, ill skitz out

nah our list is still good enough to challenge

with big sexy in the side we'd be top 4

hopefully louie meehan isnt there, ill skitz out
Hopefully whom ever the new coach is brings his own fitness people. Will be interesting

I think it'll be a big mistake retiring Cotchin. He's still better than Hopper, Graham & Sonsie, retiring a player that good is nuts. Maybe if Ross moves to the midfield and Banks takes his spot on the wing, thats the only way I'll accept Cotchin retiring this year.
He's had two very good games of 28 and 29 possessions. Two above 20, (23 & 21), and 8 games of under 15. That will drop off further next year as well. I don't think that will be hard to replace.

There are only 10 players in the league 34 or older (Cotchin next season), with only Pendelbury and Boak as mids. If we can't replace Cotchin with one of or a combination of Short, Baker, Ross, Sonsie, Dow, MRJ, Campbell and a potential recruit then our recruiters should resign on mass.

MRJ to play in the guts next season

LOL no he isn't. As for "retiring a player that good is nuts", please. He's not 'that good' anymore. He's a role player at best and we need to get the next gen in. The midfield balance with all of Prestia, Cotchin, Hopper and Taranto playing is way too slow and inside. We're desperate for Sonsies dual sided foot skills to come in. He should play from round 1 next season. Graham is far more mobile than Trent and that is a requirement of the high half forward role.

You better get used to the idea, Trent is gorne.
Seemed pretty good to me when he got genuine midfield minutes, being thrown as forward when your a pure midfielder has hurt him this year, he may choose to retire this year, imo its a mistake

Retire:
Cotchin, Riewoldt, Castagna & Tarrant

Delist:
Colina

Trade:
Graham

We don't have the picks to delist more IMO not when we will have 4 players retired.

Also, not worth just trading out as many players as we can to get more picks because most of our players who are older hold no value, so it's putting the club in an even worse position. Team will struggle enough next year, you dont need to rip the club apart and have nothing left.

Players I'd consider lucky we don't delist would be:
McIntosh, Dow, Biggy & Ralphsmith.

But that's just my personal opinion

Like I said in my ordinal post, Ross & potentially Sonsie I hope. Dow maybe delisted, the rest are part-timers
But we have Taranto, Hopper, who he is not better than, although Hopper was underwhelming, he will get first digs over Cotchin and rightly so given the contract he is on. Prestia. So 3 permanent mids. Bolton is 50-50 mid, as is Martin. Short played some very good football in the midfield over the last two seasons and gives us some much needed pace on the outside. So we need some wriggle room for some developing mids, and we sure better recruit a couple.

Time to call it a day.

Retire:
Cotchin, Riewoldt, Castagna & Tarrant

Delist:
Colina

Trade:
Graham

We don't have the picks to delist more IMO not when we will have 4 players retired.

Also, not worth just trading out as many players as we can to get more picks because most of our players who are older hold no value, so it's putting the club in an even worse position. Team will struggle enough next year, you dont need to rip the club apart and have nothing left.

Players I'd consider lucky we don't delist would be:
McIntosh, Dow, Biggy & Ralphsmith.

But that's just my personal opinion
We could trade MacIntosh and even Graham for some half decent draft pics if we were to go that way. MacIntosh would be worth a decent pic to WC as he would improve their very flakey list. Might not be a great player, but he knows the game.

Back