• Sell the farm and trade away Premiership players for picks

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Retain and retire them at Richmond

Votes: 26 54.2%
  • I’m unsure and on the fence about this

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

$1 mil Haynes For a pick? I don't think GWS need to dump salary. What pick do we give for Prestia salary dump? Nothing high.

Silvagni + Dow + Gresham. SOS is a need. But too much Carlton in that name. Need Dow?

Jack R, Cotch, Tarrant, George off the books. Plus Soldo and Ralphsmith and/or Graham.
Delist Biggie and Colina. Kmac
is out of contract

Who would you draft with the 1st rounder.
Pretty sure they need to offload Haynes. We don't need to offload prestia but he'd be handy for Lions for a couple years.

Would be funny if he played 100 games for us and we had a crack at the next generation though wouldn't it? We meed midfield depth badly. Ours is probably the worst in the league. Dow has 21 disposals, 8 clearances and 2 goal assists on the weekend.

No idea about the draft. Caddy sounds handy?

Id be trading Soldo and Ralphsmith and/or Graham.
Delist Biggie and Colina.
Trade Prestia if he does want to go otherwise keep him and everyone else.
Take on the Nick Haynes salary dump from GWS if it gets us a decent pick.
Trade for a KPF. Georgiades ideally. Someone who competes at least. Silvagni as free agent if no one else decent is available.
Get P Dow for token late pick
Get Gresham as a free agent
Try bundle up our picks for GCs first pick otherwise bring forward next years 1st into the year if possible.
Love it all except the two Carlton boys. No thanks

You lost me when you said trade bolton. We should be keeping any A graders and build around them

Agree with you otherwise
I know it is hard to swallow but he is in and out and you don't know what you get with him. We are not going anywhere fast and has the value needed, if we can pick up a couple of decent picks but we will still rely our champs to nail them:)

Pretty sure they need to offload Haynes. We don't need to offload prestia but he'd be handy for Lions for a couple years.

Would be funny if he played 100 games for us and we had a crack at the next generation though wouldn't it? We meed midfield depth badly. Ours is probably the worst in the league. Dow has 21 disposals, 8 clearances and 2 goal assists on the weekend.

No idea about the draft. Caddy sounds handy?
I'm pretty sure Giants fixed up their cap. HH resigned for 750. With Haynes there. Brizzy picked up Dunkley and are flying. Prestia wouldn't get a game.

We get good clearance numbers out of our mids. Just needs new game plan. I have zero confidence Dow & Gresham coning into the current game plan would achieve anything.

I hope our depth players class of 21, Dow, Sonsie, Ross, Bolton with improvement out of JH.

We traded for JH& TT and no on field success this year. I hope Lynch & Gibcus play again I hope we don't bring in fwds mids.

Let the list evolve over the next few years. 5 or so, players out each year.
I have low expectations for 24. I don't follow the draft. Yeah, drafting a KPF would be a start.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Giants fixed up their cap. HH resigned for 750. With Haynes there. Brizzy picked up Dunkley and are flying. Prestia wouldn't get a game.

We get good clearance numbers out of our mids. Just needs new game plan. I have zero confidence Dow & Gresham coning into the current game plan would achieve anything.

I hope our depth players class of 21, Dow, Sonsie, Ross, Bolton with improvement out of JH.

We traded for JH& TT and no on field success this year. I hope Lynch & Gibcus play again I hope we don't bring in fwds mids.

Let the list evolve over the next few years. 5 or so, players out each year.
I have low expectations for 24. I don't follow the draft. Yeah, drafting a KPF would be a start.
HH re-signed on for 800 a year from next season though. It was Tom Morris who reported he might be a salary dump a while ago.

Prestia would cover for Ashcroft while he's out for a year with an ACL.

HH re-signed on for 800 a year from next season though. It was Tom Morris who reported he might be a salary dump a while ago.

Prestia would cover for Ashcroft while he's out for a year with an ACL.
Lions should've won a couple of flags.
I maintain they wouldn't take Prestia. They'd retain Zorko over Dion. What draft picks do we get?

Are we tanking for 24? Or going for a flag?

Haynes Silvagni IN We have a problem in the midfield and you bring in Dow & Gresham? For Graham & Prestia?

I maintain they wouldn't take Prestia. They'd retain Zorko over Dion. What draft picks do we get?

Haynes Silvagni IN We have a problem in the midfield and you bring in Dow & Gresham? For Graham & Prestia?
Zorko is 35 next season. Ashcroft is out for 12 months. Lyons is done, Mathieson is done. Dev Robertson is likely gone to Eagles. I wouldn't be surprised if Lions were interested if it's even true that Prestia was keen to get to Qld.

We won't be tanking ever.

We have a problem with our midfield and our forward line. Gresham is an upgrade on Graham. Dow and or Sonsie in for Prestia. Haynes only if it lands us a decent pick. Graham out only if it lands us a decent pick. Silvagni is a huge upgrade on Miller as a 2nd ruck/KPF.

Sides coming from a Premiership era can generally go one of two ways with their rebuilding strategy:

1. They can start selling the farm trading senior Premiership players for good picks. They may even do that for younger Premiership that they don’t see as part of the future. Or,

2. They retain their Premiership players and retire them (like we did with Astbury, Houli, Edwards, Riewoldt, and Cotchin).

On the one hand, selling the farm could make us Premiership standard sooner. On the other hand, this could backfire massively like it did for some successful/semi-successful teams and leave them in the wilderness for years.

Both strategies have varying implications in the short-term and long-term, so which strategy do you prefer moving forward?
The legends like dusty and cotch you keep

The expendable ones like kmac more easier to trade

Can't cut too deep this year as others have said, we'd be forced to bring in a bunch of speculative kids and cast offs just to meet list quota.
This isn't the draft we want to be going hard in with our hand. I don't think there's a market out there for any of our veterans besides Dusty, either.
Prestia too injury prone, Grimes form is terrible, Kmac is Kmac, Pickett has a looming court date. Might be some value in Graham for a team that needs a bit of grunt but wouldn't expect any better than a pick in the 30's. Broad the same.

TLDR keep the powder dry this off season and go hard next year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it is hard to swallow but he is in and out and you don't know what you get with him. We are not going anywhere fast and has the value needed, if we can pick up a couple of decent picks but we will still rely our champs to nail them:)
Bolton will make you regret these words next year. He’s got more levels to go and just needs to impose himself more. Reckon it will come

Bolton will make you regret these words next year. He’s got more levels to go and just needs to impose himself more. Reckon it will come
Hope so but you said it yourself needs to impose himself and be more team-oriented. We will need all the help we can get. The difference between our team and others is we don't have many players wanting to move for premiership glory.

Prestia is GC or RFC

Prestia is GC or RFC
Prestia is a Melbourne boy who lived and played footy on the gold coast for 6 odd years but back 'home' for 7 years. I think he'd retire ahead of moving back to Qld.

Lions will go close again and Suns are perennial basket cases. Maybe Dimma changes that. Suns are adding 3 maybe 4 gun kids. Their AFL & VFL teams are deep with talent. I don't know the missing ingredient is but it ain't Prestia.

Brando, Markov and Chol were out of contract, left at the peak of their powers. Prestia has dealt with the hammies this year. He is not a fwd, where he is partially playing now.

A new RFC coach will be restricted by which player is under contract. It'll take a year to really clear out the list. But with Lynch and Gibcus back, we should improve anyhow.

I hope we start transitioning the more of 2023 best 22 through the VFL next year

On the table -

Mcintosh - cant see him getting many games next year IF McQualter isn't the coach.
Soldo
Miller
Graham

In saying that, the new coach might want to have a preseason with Soldo, Miller & Graham.

On the table -

Mcintosh - cant see him getting many games next year IF McQualter isn't the coach.
Soldo
Miller
Graham

In saying that, the new coach might want to have a preseason with Soldo, Miller & Graham.
McIntosh isn't in any teams best 22 and is clearly on the decline, would shake his hand and show him the door.
Soldo is a better ruckman than Nank and ideally you'd use them as horses for courses in the seniors. When we need midfield coverage you go Nank, when you have a dominant tap ruckman you'd play Soldo. Can't be both.
Fairly confident now that Miller will never be best 22 but he is versatile and capable enough at the level to be handy depth. Wouldn't be the first one I'd cut.
Graham is a fringe player and shouldn't be guaranteed games like he has been. He's hit his ceiling and it's 'handy role player'. Again, good depth but really shouldn't be keeping a Sonsie or Judson out of the team.

Mcintosh, Miller, Graham

Set them free
Free, free, set them free (set them free)
Free, free, set them free

Back