Game Day Pre Season Richmond vs Collingwood 6:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a lot to like but the difference between the teams was glaring.

It’s only a split second but over a game they all add up to a five or six goal margin.

So many times Pies players would grab or receive the ball under impending pressure from us, only to in an instant whip the ball to someone else leaving a couple of our guys empty handed and the Pies players off to the races.

It happened time and again; we looked in a good defensive position but their hands and especially their vision/communication were too fast.

Not too much can be done prevent it (probably) other than neutralise it overall by getting better at it ourselves.

Because in contrast: we get the footy; stop, look, dodge, weave and either get tackled or give a weak, pressured disposal.

I reckon for about about 1 1/2 quarters, every possession Dion received was slow or looped and gave him no hope.

I hope the coaches are onto this because it was costly and really, the only difference.
With a new coach and some new players it will take a while but it needs to become more instinctive. Forget about fancy stuff. Spot your teammate and move it quickly. Instinctively.

Slow minded players should be in the twos.

A couple of worrying moments: worrying, because I hoped we would have left this sh1t behind. It’s a new environment yet we continue to see petulance.

First it was Hopper (I think) who wanted to argue with ump, forgetting about his job and allowing them to play on and conceding a goal De Goey.

The second one was Bolton not getting a free kick and turning his back on the play to complain to the ump. Meanwhile Pies defenders zoom it out of defence and get an end to end goal.

Don’t know how much I can watch this year if these guys don’t pull their heads in. I was so over the petulance in recent seasons and I hope coaches send a strong message if this continues. Bolton is the worst offender.

In fact, there wasn’t much about his game to like. He stopped every time he got the ball while Pies were flooding back and also so many unnecessary bounces.

If there’s no forward targets go sideways; keep it moving. Don’t allow them to set up.

And the kick has no penetration if you’ve stopped and propped and are just looking around.

If his attitude doesn’t improve I don’t care if he gets dropped or ends up in WA. Seems to be playing with a fair bit of entitlement in recent times.

Conversely, I loved the work of Dow. Showed up everyone with his clean hands. Needs to be a permanent fixture.

I think you are right. Last night’s team had too many older players just like last year. Against Melbourne the balance was better. The coaches are obviously looking for the right balance. Hopefully R0 the mix is more like the Melbourne game. This will be bad news for Prestia Graham McIntosh Grimes and even Short. After both the practice games the results appear to support more than just a few new players in the lineup.
Yea I was a bit disappointed that green Ross and co didn’t get a start from the get go the side had a r1 ‘23 stench about it , hopefully it was about underlining opinion on a few that might be put into the reinforcement basket

I'm not that worried to be honest because it was only a practice game but one small cause for concern is that 3 of our best players as well as Baker only played about 6 games between them last year... NaySmith, Gibbo and Dow. :oops:
Traditionally guys who are walk up best 22 players don’t generally perform well in the pre season so I’m not super worried
They just want to get through without injuries and work some of the rust off

It’s the guys who are on the cusp who go all out so they can impress coaches to play the first game proper

You could tell Dusty and Bolton weren’t going full tilt and just going through the motions
Similar could be said for guys like Broad

Although we won’t really know until the real stuff starts if this was the case either

they got to 7 half way through the first quarter lmao

took us 4 quarters to get there

some of our players are mentally broken beyond repair due to the umpiring. many of them have spent 7 years being reamed no lube by Steve Hocking rule changes and the umps. there's no fixing their brains

some of our players are mentally broken beyond repair due to the umpiring. many of them have spent 7 years being reamed no lube by Steve Hocking rule changes and the umps. there's no fixing their brains
We need to try and milk some frees though, our players are so used to not getting a free that we play on no matter what. No head throw back, arms spread wide, no body restrained more when being held.

We need a N.Daicos, C.Curnow or Ginnivan type of campaigner.

The thing for me to extremely important that we got to replace the players who continue to let us down and some of them are senior blokes to. There is no upside with them.

Players that had a real go were the younger ones plus Taranto. Some of the senior boys were really coasting. Just want lynch back to provide the physical presence. Oh and kosi is an absolute waste of time.
It was a practice game! They aren’t going full tilt until it matters imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not that worried to be honest because it was only a practice game but one small cause for concern is that 3 of our best players as well as Baker only played about 6 games between them last year... NaySmith, Gibbo and Dow. :oops:
You could look at it 2 ways though.
Not good that many of our experienced senior players had poor games / or how great that the very inexperienced ones led the way.

Could contradict those on here that would argue that we have no regeneration coming through....

Players that had a real go were the younger ones plus Taranto. Some of the senior boys were really coasting. Just want lynch back to provide the physical presence. Oh and kosi is an absolute waste of time.

The pressure on Lynch is going to be nuts. His best season for us by a mile came after his only full preseason. He now older and coming off 12 months out. He also doesnt have Jack working to every contest to help out. I worry about peoples expectations, just providing a physical presence may sound ok, but it wont be enough to help this team win games. We are going to need bags of goals like 2022. I dont expect him to be able to provide that.

Balta is the very least of our worries , we need to find a few players with natural forward craft ,,,cumbo should come straight in
Nah, much rather Judson Clarke, a natural and highly skilled but lightly framed footballer. Was dubious about him initially but watching the twos game, that lad has got it. Cumberland is too flakey for mine.

We need to try and milk some frees though, our players are so used to not getting a free that we play on no matter what. No head throw back, arms spread wide, no body restrained more when being held.

We need a N.Daicos, C.Curnow or Ginnivan type of campaigner.
We needed ooozay to rock into afl headquarters going ape poo about the umps pathetic display. Yet it be known the reaming aint continuing under his watch without any noise being made .

Nah, much rather Judson Clarke, a natural and highly skilled but lightly framed footballer. Was dubious about him initially but watching the twos game, that lad has got it. Cumberland is too flakey for mine.
Cumberland is a match winner.. just needs to be more consistent and iron out some of his body language stuff.. be more present and do the basics right and he will be a huge asset at AFL level

Clarke completely different player.. can’t win his own ball like Cumbo can but obviously has different strengths which are great too

I think you are right. Last night’s team had too many older players just like last year. Against Melbourne the balance was better. The coaches are obviously looking for the right balance. Hopefully R0 the mix is more like the Melbourne game. This will be bad news for Prestia Graham McIntosh Grimes and even Short. After both the practice games the results appear to support more than just a few new players in the lineup.
Jesus effing christ, Short??????

Are you nuts???

No.1 Metres gained by absolute panels for YEARS. and half accurate.

Horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back