Game Day Pre Season Richmond vs Collingwood 6:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't watch the game but its a fair guess that the umps didn't pay curnow/mckay any bullshit frees like they normally do - saving that up for round 1

35 free kicks to curnow and about 6 of them a fair dinkum

It makes for embarrassing viewing. I don't know how he can keep a straight face when he goes back to kick another goal from a soft free. Is there a Charlie Curnow Foundation registered with the ATO as a Charity?

Do you really think he has had a fair go? Others have been afforded the luxury of regular games while he has had to suck it up.
The kid is a midfielder, Dimma thought it was best to play him off half back, wing, everywhere but his natural position. I recall when he came to the club Cotch was injured and Ross took his spot with great success but they decided to slim him down and he was never the same. Yes he is in our best 22 but it's not because of good coaching or development, it's because he has a dogged determination to succeed. He should have started last night not be left to the last quarter.
The point is holding him back could have contributed to his development and not hindered it.
The mindset in sports often is the more playing time = the most improvement. But it's just not always true. Players are often not ready and development can be hindered or even career ended if they're thrown in too early.

Same as you saying it was a mistake playing him in the half back line. How do you know this didn't contribute to his development rather than stunt it? Just because he's playing there doesn't, mean they were trying to turn him into a flanker. He could be there just to work on certain skills or mindset or just to get playing time when there was no space for him in our midfield. Just so many weird assumptions based on absolutely no information on what he needed to improve in.

It's just a bit silly to me to have someone that really didn't look to great early just continue to improve to a point where he looks like a solid best 22 lock and then say his growth has been stunted.

He's was pick #43 and games player per season have been 7, 7, 15, 15 and 19. That kinda looks like a perfect amount of games played with a steady increase for a lower development pick type.

Don’t fully disagree but Cumberland like you said needs to be much more consistent. I think Clarke is a natural forwardline player who will be better than average when he gets fully fit ( coming off injury I believe?)

Cumbo is not a small in the sense, he has to play more like the caddy role. Tough at the contest, almost a 3rd tall as he can fly for marks, also is strong one on one and quick enough to go up the ground and back.

Clarke who I rate has the smarts and is competing with the likes of Mansell, junior, green, campbell to name a few but he needs to be harder at the contest and win his own ball. I have watched enough of him and for a small he doesn't tackle and put enough pressure on the opposition.
As an example of similar build, Zav Fisher formerly of Carlton (now at North) had the speed but many fans gripe was that he was to outside.

I guess we can all make positives and negatives for many of the players on our list.

I haven't watched any of Tuesdays game but judging by the comments here and where we are generally we are in for an inconsistent season. Wild swings in performance within games and across rounds as the game plan/coaching group embeds itself / evolves, players at the ends of the age spectrum fluctuating in form and fitness. The one consistency seems to be we will continue to receive an unrequested rogering from the umps each week and the club will continue to do nothing about it while other teams are handed advantages on a silver platter.

I haven't watched any of Tuesdays game but judging by the comments here and where we are generally we are in for an inconsistent season. Wild swings in performance within games and across rounds as the game plan/coaching group embeds itself / evolves, players at the ends of the age spectrum fluctuating in form and fitness. The one consistency seems to be we will continue to receive an unrequested rogering from the umps each week and the club will continue to do nothing about it while other teams are handed advantages on a silver platter.
Need to work on lots of area's that's for sure, the worst is our forward structure atm, it needs a lot of work and tweaking.

Cumberland has to come in. He kicks goals.
K Mc2 looks good to take Hoppers place- now. But comes in for injured Graham at the moment.
Ross replaces K Mac1.
Lynch to come in for Kosy when ready.
Nankervis replaces Ryan when ready.
Mansell replaces Campbell when ready.
Sonsie comes in after suspension.
Grimes replaces injured defenders when it happens. Trezise should be in.

Vs GC round 0

Short Young Vlaustin
DRioli Balta Broad
Ross Taranto Pickett
Bolton Kosy Cumberland
Baker Martin Ryan
Naismith Prestia Dow
KMc2 Trezise Brown Campbell Hopper

My 2cents worth.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree…I thought he did the 1%s well…but didn’t clunk marks …
I don't think he even went for any. Then again, he's probably just playing the percentages this early in his return to the side. No risks, just kill the contest. His agility is very impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forward 50 seemed to put on a master class of how to completely @&#$ almost every entry , I’d like to see players rotated thru there to find some options and that does t mean 13 rounds before we change the bloody side .
Delivery was average as well.

What annoyed me more was some of the leading. F50 is open and the forward is leading one way (to the flank or back to the goals) with Moore or someone else capable on their hammer. You’re not getting separation from class defenders doing what you’re doing.

Put the brakes on and head in a different direction; preferably toward the kicker. The backman won’t catch up in time to stop the pass.

It seems so basic.

It makes for embarrassing viewing. I don't know how he can keep a straight face when he goes back to kick another goal from a soft free. Is there a Charlie Curnow Foundation registered with the ATO as a Charity?
And not once in that package does a commentator call out any of the soft frees. Rules for some and different rules for others (us).

Last edited:
The criticism only came after poor games in the first place so can’t really say it was the criticism that killed his confidence

It’s been totally blown out of proportion.
In response to a question after Cumbo kicked 3 in Q1 and got 2 touches for the next 3 Qtrs. Hardwick was actually pretty encouraging but said the obvious “…has to work on a few things”. Of course Cumbo had to work, Hibberd set up the win from the back pocket with 20+ touches.
I don’t think Cumbo sooked at Dimma message, he’s just that up and down type that rides the result of every contest.
The kid can play, but just needs to stay in the game (as Dimma said) and not switch off. I reckon he’ll make it.
But I’m getting sick of the same discussion. Lol

In response to a question after Cumbo kicked 3 in Q1 and got 2 touches for the next 3 Qtrs. Hardwick was actually pretty encouraging but said the obvious “…has to work on a few things”. Of course Cumbo had to work, Hibberd set up the win from the back pocket with 20+ touches.
I don’t think Cumbo sooked at Dimma message, he’s just that up and down type that rides the result of every contest.
The kid can play, but just needs to stay in the game (as Dimma said) and not switch off. I reckon he’ll make it.
I’m with you mate I definitely think it’s overblown with a fair bit of wires being crossed about what actually occurred when and why

Also need to remember that we are talking about elite professional sportsman here
If copping a minor clip from the coach is the sole reason why he isn’t living up to the hype I dare say he is in the wrong industry

What annoyed me more was some of the leading. F50 is open and the forward is leading one way (to the flank or back to the goals) with Moore or someone else capable on their hammer. You’re not getting separation from class defenders doing what you’re doing.

Put the brakes on and head in a different direction; preferably toward the kicker. The backman won’t catch up in time to stop the pass.

It seems so basic.
dumma didnt coach leading for 13 years

Funny as, the Carlton supporter posts this vid to defend Curnow but it just highlights how many ridiculously soft frees he gets.

It seems so basic.
Forwards always wanking on about "running patterns" like it's some mystical science. Create separation, take mark, kick goal.
Reckon it's forwards coaches justifying their existence by introducing all this bullshit.

I don't think he even went for any. Then again, he's probably just playing the percentages this early in his return to the side. No risks, just kill the contest. His agility is very impressive.

Agree…reckon Gibbo (and Young) for now are sticking to the basics…playing that kill the contest role

Of the 2, reckon Gibbo will develop the run and create play when he gets match fit and has games under his belt

Weirdly …and a bit of a stretch at this stage…but I’m thinking they could develop into the May and Lever style of play combo

Agree…reckon Gibbo (and Young) for now are sticking to the basics…playing that kill the contest role

Of the 2, reckon Gibbo will develop the run and create play when he gets match fit and has games under his belt

Weirdly …and a bit of a stretch at this stage…but I’m thinking they could develop into the May and Lever style of play combo
Absolute best thing were seeing from Gibbo is that he hasn't lost any of his leap. Is his biggest weapon and was worried he'd be brought back to mortal status by the hamstring surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back