Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Up there as one of his best games this year. His consistency across the 120 minutes was the best part, even when we struggled in patches early, he kept finding it. Hasn't been his hallmark, but was today:thumbsu:

Hardwick admits he only has himself to blame in underestimating Ellis

By Daniel Cherny

May 19, 2019 — 7.22pm

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has pointed the finger at himself for focusing too much on what Brandon Ellis can’t do, rather than the premiership defender’s capabilities.
Meanwhile, Hardwick has urged umpires to afford greater leniency for off-the-ball free kicks after a Tom Lynch shove to the chest of Hawthorn antagonist James Sicily cost Richmond a goal during the third quarter of the Tigers’ 36-point win over Hawthorn at the MCG on Sunday.

Play Video
Ellis had been a regular under Hardwick since the start of 2012 but has found himself in and out of the side over the past 14 months.
But the creative dasher was one of Richmond’s best on Sunday, finishing with 35 disposals.

Hardwick accepted that he had become too concerned with the cons of Ellis’ game.
“He’s had some challenges, there’s no doubt. The great thing about Brandon, the thing I love, is he accepts the areas he’s got to get better at,” Hardwick said.

“But also as a coaching group, I probably didn’t understand and back in his strengths enough. That was on me. To his credit, he’s gone on and is playing some wonderful footy. He’s playing his natural game, his ability to run and create, use the ball, mark, has just been really evident for me to see, which is really pleasing.”
Hardwick acknowledged his own vulnerability as a coach.

“I was probably looking at areas of his game, they’re not poor, but they’re probably below in some areas. But what I sort of forgot as a coach, and it’s really poor on my behalf, is that he’s great in a lot of areas. I’ve got to remind myself to look at those areas. Now we’re seeing the dividends of our coaching group backing him in,” Hardwick said.

“It’s a good reminder to all of us coaches.

“It happens from time to time, and at stages I’ve got to get better at catching myself doing it. I know when I’m at my worst, unfortunately, Brandon’s one of those guys, he’s really close to me, that cops it the most.”

Tigers spearhead Lynch meanwhile gave away a free kick during the third term after shoving Hawks defender Sicily. Hardwick had no major issue with the fiery Sicily, but called for umpires to be more lenient with such incidents.

“James is that sort of player,” Hardwick said.

“He’s an incredible talent, that kid, he’s a player I’d come to watch, I love the way he plays the game. He plays it to the line. I love that about our game. Do we need the umpire paying a free kick when Tom shoves him down? I don’t know. Let the guys play. Let them have a crack. At the end of the day they’ve been at each other from go to whoa. It’s nice to have a little bit of leniency every now and then. I thought it was a great contest.”

Hardwick was also full of praise for Dustin Martin, who starred with 37 disposals and two goals.

“Dusty, when you look back at the history of him, he probably starts the season a little bit slower, and then he starts to come into the game and starts to dominate. I thought he was outstanding, he looked really fast and quick around the clearances today.”
Rest of the article is here: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...in-underestimating-ellis-20190519-p51p2k.html

Honestly, I think it's what some on here and other sites have been saying for a long time Dimma. That was, Brandon played his best footy on Wing, where he had the time and space to run and utilise his best talents. You can mark Brandon's form decline from the time he was a AA squad member to the time he was more and more being tried at half back. He wasn't always bad at it, his game was simply slipping more and more often. Brave of Dimma to say that was on him. Smart? Not sure, but brave! Think Brandon might be saying "* yeah!" tonight.

Last edited:
Really like Dimma putting his hand up and I reckon a lot of posters on here could well do the same thing (myself included) and put their hands up and say we also focused too much on the 'poor' things Ellis does and didn't back in his strengths. To his credit though, he hasn't backed away from the challenge and has actually come out the other side a better all around player. As the year wears on I hope that we do keep him as he is getting back to that 2014 type of form that had him in the AA squad and spoken about as one of the up and coming stars of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really like Dimma putting his hand up and I reckon a lot of posters on here could well do the same thing (myself included) and put their hands up and say we also focused too much on the 'poor' things Ellis does and didn't back in his strengths. To his credit though, he hasn't backed away from the challenge and has actually come out the other side a better all around player. As the year wears on I hope that we do keep him as he is getting back to that 2014 type of form that had him in the AA squad and spoken about as one of the up and coming stars of the game.

Absolutely, but isn't our cap restraints going to be challenged now - we know we are on the edge because it's been reported some have taken a bit of haircut. I hope we can keep him if he remains in this sort of form for the season - certainly sounds like he'll have every opportunity now at least.

His last month has been outstanding.

I put my hand up earlier on that I was knocking him, but to be honest it was warranted and he was out of form and in the wrong position.

His work on the wing is excellent. He looks so much more comfortable and confident.

We are a much better side when he is up and about.

He’s copped far too much on this forum and apologies are due.
His decision making by foot sometimes let him down, but you couldn’t question his hardness or want to win.
His ability to compete in the air and make a contest are unquestionable and that was evident today.
Welcome back Brando.

The thing about a lot of us who did knock him is the fact it wasn’t from a place where we thought he was a bad player

It was knowing that he wasn’t being the player that we knew he could be

Interesting comment from Dimma in the 9 things we learned article (may have been posted before)

"Tigers coach Damien Hardwick has since revealed that might have been his fault. He concedes he focused more on what Ellis couldn't do, rather than what he could"
not buying it completely....dimms is making himself as the sacrificial lamb, but his methods and tough love have turned brando from being a very good wingman to a very good versatile utility.

The thing about a lot of us who did knock him is the fact it wasn’t from a place where we thought he was a bad player

It was knowing that he wasn’t being the player that we knew he could be

Again, honestly think some people calling him 'soft', and what were some of the other putdowns used as a form of abuse, 'one-way runner' etc..... there are quite a few, were over the top. He may have deserved criticism for certain games, but I always thought the character assassinations were way over the top. He's imperfect, but he's valuable and is genuinely loved by his teammates it seems to me - clearly his coach loves him as a player of character.

Last edited:
not buying it completely....dimms is making himself as the sacrificial lamb, but his methods and tough love have turned brando from being a very good wingman to a very good versatile utility.

You'd expect a player who has been put through a range of footballing positional experiences to be more versatile, it's true for more than just Brandon. But we are seeing some of his best at the moment, where it's harder for him to be kept accountable out on the Wing and he is proving to be a bit of a match winner again so credit where credit is due.

Last edited:
I've been one of his biggest critics but my oh my has he cracked a few eggs on my face this season.

Well done Brando, playing excellent footy

May 11, 2017
I actually think he has been played out of position, much prefer him on a wing, same with macintosh, but hey I might write a letter to the coach

Did your letter only just get to Dimma SunshineTiger.. Better Express Post it next time I think!;):D

Last edited:
Agree best I’ve seen him play and more than likely has pushed his price > 600k , I don’t reckon he’d be on much more than 400 right now , there will be a lot of interest , runs hard durable player . Blues hawks demons saints I would imagine all interested , worst case r1 compo looming large

It is was it is. I’ve hated his previous four years but he’s been playing well so far this year. Been very important and from an age profile he’s part of our veteran core.

Obviously we can’t break the bank for him but it’s looking good for us either way. Either we lose a pick 13 and get a decent compo or we get to keep a bloke we sunk a first rounder into on an acceptable wage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back