Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

What's not lost on me is I read some of the most ordinary words spoken about a footballer on here on three occasions in 2016-17, all of them directed at Taylor Hunt. Not a word in defence of the young man ... or more to the point not a word from anyone here advising posters against that type of abuse. Silence!!!!
As soon as its a poor word against one of the posters boys, they come out in droves.
The double standards!

When has Brandon Ellis been a poster boy mate?

Brandon Ellis is a valued senior player in a Richmond Premiership team.
He has earned his stripes.
He is a Life Member of the club.
He is not by any means soft.
Anybody who calls him soft on an Internet forum would know nothing about what it takes to reach his level because they haven't.
His strength of character and courage are not in dispute.

Anybody who calls him soft on an Internet forum would know nothing about what it takes to reach his level because they haven't.
6 outta 6.

To play footy at any level takes courage (U8s the exception). To play at the highest level takes courage ....period. Some do it beyond others (Selwood), all go when its their turn. Ellis did it in the final and took the hit (Danger).

However, if you watch Ellis closely, he disposes of the ball quickly to avoid tackles. Whether its handball to teammate 2m away and puts him under the pump, or a dump kick forward without thought where its going. Other players do it, but Ellis does it way earlier than others and for some of us, it stands out.

In 2016 he was atrocious with hovering like a seagull on the outside of packs. Improved on that last year and had a better overall impact. Last week he was better and got some good forward run and carry going. But I can see where the soft label is coming from. And its relative to what is being done by other AFL players.

His folks are fantastic,remember his old man battling cancer and overcoming it.

Also when any muppet oppo player decides to rough our players up you can be sure Brando will be there to back his team mate.

A real team player at Richmond.

He is best 22 in a premiership side in the most elite comp of Aussie Rules in Australia.

Also when any muppet oppo player decides to rough our players up you can be sure Brando will be there to back his team mate.

He is best 22 in a premiership side in the most elite comp of Aussie Rules in Australia.
YES ALWAYS NOTICE THIS

To play footy at any level takes courage (U8s the exception). To play at the highest level takes courage ....period. Some do it beyond others (Selwood), all go when its their turn. Ellis did it in the final and took the hit (Danger).

However, if you watch Ellis closely, he disposes of the ball quickly to avoid tackles. Whether its handball to teammate 2m away and puts him under the pump, or a dump kick forward without thought where its going. Other players do it, but Ellis does it way earlier than others and for some of us, it stands out.

In 2016 he was atrocious with hovering like a seagull on the outside of packs. Improved on that last year and had a better overall impact. Last week he was better and got some good forward run and carry going. But I can see where the soft label is coming from. And its relative to what is being done by other AFL players.
stop.jpg

YES ALWAYS NOTICE THIS
were not debating if he is a good man, solid team mate; puts others before himself etc etc- that is not an issue

is he in our top 22 2018- that's the discussion

And Aaron Keating was a premiership player n the most elite comp of Aussie Rules in the world ;)

And Aaron Keating was a premiership player n the most elite comp of Aussie Rules in the world ;)
so maybe we should see what his up to and get him into our side; his only played 6 games in the AFL so his legs should be fresh; seeming how playing in a premiership side is the bench mark

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Houli and Edwards both copped plenty of criticism on here over the years, similar to Brandon.
I reckon they were both in contention for the Norm Smith last year.
It is possible the same happens for Brandon Ellis.

There is no higher honour than being in a premiership ... but some get pretty lucky you have to admit.
Full credit to him, but football, like life, is not entirely fair and certainly does discriminate.
The AFL/VFL universe is littered with blokes who were mediocre, yet it's a team game, and in teams, sometimes the great ones lift the average performers and plodders.
let alone the likes of Schoenmakers, Simpkin, Trent West, Macaffer, Maxwell etc., I have read derogatory posts about Cyril Rioli.
Well bow down and pay homage because if premierships are everything Cyril has four (and three All-Australians), so the guy should be untouchable.
BEllis' task is to lift us to further premierships - not sit back and rest on laurels and say one is enough and dine out on it for eternity. Is he helping us do that? Well I'd suggest he has had two poor games and one okay one.
You would never know it reading Big Footy, but a player's career is not defined by one game.

so maybe we should see what his up to and get him into our side; his only played 6 games in the AFL so his legs should be fresh; seeming how playing in a premiership side is the bench mark

Hall of Famer Keating when you continue to use a premiership as the benchmark to everything ;)
Beau MacDonald got two at Brissie. Better than Gary Dempsey who never got any!

There’s a great thread at the moment that no , zero , zilch, nothing Buckley premiership side has ever strapped up again . This is a reminder to all that apart from the untouchables all fringe players of 2017 are replaceable.
IMO Brando plays best 22 bc of his pace and power together with his huge tank to run out games. I just wish he could be smarter on the ground and it’s probably the major reason why he plays hbf rather than midfield.

There is no higher honour than being in a premiership ... but some get pretty lucky you have to admit.
Full credit to him, but football, like life, is not entirely fair and certainly does discriminate.
The AFL/VFL universe is littered with blokes who were mediocre, yet it's a team game, and in teams, sometimes the great ones lift the average performers and plodders.
let alone the likes of Schoenmakers, Simpkin, Trent West, Macaffer, Maxwell etc., I have read derogatory posts about Cyril Rioli.
Well bow down and pay homage because if premierships are everything Cyril has four (and three All-Australians), so the guy should be untouchable.
BEllis' task is to lift us to further premierships - not sit back and rest on laurels and say one is enough and dine out on it for eternity. Is he helping us do that? Well I'd suggest he has had two poor games and one okay one.
You would never know it reading Big Footy, but a player's career is not defined by one game.
Hey Goldie,
Not sure if you meant to reply to my post or someone else's.
I agree there have been some very mediocre players get a premiership medal almost by accident and it doesn't automatically put them ahead of anyone else.
My point was that regarding"soft" players like Brandon - Houli and Edwards have previously been judged fairly soft but both were great in the grand final last year. Grigg is another who has copped a bit and while not a norm Smith contender (yet) is now generally recognised as an important role player.
Brandon hopefully still has his chance to show us all how valuable he can be in a final series.

On Nexus 5X using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey Goldie,
Not sure if you meant to reply to my post or someone else's.
I agree there have been some very mediocre players get a premiership medal almost by accident and it doesn't automatically put them ahead of anyone else.
My point was that regarding"soft" players like Brandon - Houli and Edwards have previously been judged fairly soft but both were great in the grand final last year. Grigg is another who has copped a bit and while not a norm Smith contender (yet) is now generally recognised as an important role player.
Brandon hopefully still has his chance to show us all how valuable he can be in a final series.

On Nexus 5X using BigFooty.com mobile app

No need to sell me on Grigg and Bachar .... been their staunchest defenders for the longest time.
Here's hoping BEllis takes another step!

There’s a great thread at the moment that no , zero , zilch, nothing Buckley premiership side has ever strapped up again . This is a reminder to all that apart from the untouchables all fringe players of 2017 are replaceable.
IMO Brando plays best 22 bc of his pace and power together with his huge tank to run out games. I just wish he could be smarter on the ground and it’s probably the major reason why he plays hbf rather than midfield.
Yup, his positives outweigh his negatives, and he has both which should be acknowledged by both sides of this argument (as you have done above).
Some players have more time in tight spaces than others, Matthew Knights, others like Houli and BEllis are lower on this scale so tend to play hot potato when they get the ball. Houli has improved but I still get nervous when he gets the ball in tight situations on the last line of defence. This is not fear as some posters suggest, it is a lack of composure, they don't want to get done holding the ball, big difference to shitting themselves from the physical. Sometimes it is confidence, Conca at half back this season, or sometimes the natural way they play. Vlaustin will naturally go back into packs, not a natural act for Ellis or a lot of other players.
But Ellis does read the play very well and covers enormous ground, gives good support, kicks long and generally well and is big enough to put his body over on the line when he needs to.
There are other HB's deserving games so like every other player he will need to maintain his form.

Anyone want to comment on his game this week in a 93 point romp against a bunch of kiddies.
Yeah, any B&F votes should be cancelled as the opposition wasn't worthy.
How bad are Port going when they only beat the "kiddies" by 5 points in Adelaide.

Yeah, any B&F votes should be cancelled as the opposition wasn't worthy.
How bad are Port going when they only beat the "kiddies" by 5 points in Adelaide.
Lol the implication was against kiddies in a romp he was pretty average again.

Somewhere along the line hes bound to have a good game, lets hope its sooner rather than later, i can see people jumping all over this thread when it happens and the i told yo so's will be flying.
Seems the feel good crowd only want to talk about things when they are good.

By my reckoning thats 7 in a row and we should be at the very least talking about him going back to the two's.

Pretty sure he is running on some crazy length of consecutive games at the moment.
I feel like he is too comfortable.

I would drop him, but he would literally have to have a month of absolute stinkers for the coaching staff to consider it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back