AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas - Late in vs Richmond - 25/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be skills work and maybe some light running in the alter G I suppose. If the 8 week prediction was right then he's still over a month away.
He had surgery on the 20th of Jan right?
8 weeks from that is next Friday. Doubt he actually plays VFL till round 2 or 3 though if everything goes well.

He had surgery on the 20th of Jan right?
8 weeks from that is next Friday. Doubt he actually plays VFL till round 2 or 3 though if everything goes well.
Some googling gives me this:

So was supposed to get surgery sometime in the 'coming days' after Jan 20.

The recovery times were never announced by the club, Blitz had 12 weeks and Watson had 8.

Jan 20 takes us to next Friday as you said (if it's 8 weeks), next Friday is of course the Friday before our Round 1 game, conveniently enough.

If it's 12 weeks then it's another month or so.

I don't think they'll rush him. I'd take 8 weeks as injury recovery for health and 12 weeks as a timeframe for actually getting a debut, perhaps.

Some googling gives me this:

So was supposed to get surgery sometime in the 'coming days' after Jan 20.

The recovery times were never announced by the club, Blitz had 12 weeks and Watson had 8.

Jan 20 takes us to next Friday as you said (if it's 8 weeks), next Friday is of course the Friday before our Round 1 game, conveniently enough.

If it's 12 weeks then it's another month or so.

I don't think they'll rush him. I'd take 8 weeks as injury recovery for health and 12 weeks as a timeframe for actually getting a debut, perhaps.
I dont think he plays AFL until round 8 or 9.

Considering his age and draft value they will be conservative, and then I would imagine they give him a serious block of VfL minutes to build him up considering he missed the last 6 weeks of pre season essentially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think he plays AFL until round 8 or 9.

Considering his age and draft value they will be conservative, and then I would imagine they give him a serious block of VfL minutes to build him up considering he missed the last 6 weeks of pre season essentially.
He will play VFL . How long he stay’s there will depend on form . If he is ripping it up after thre games they will find it hard to leave him out 🙂

Yes there is. The sooner we blood games into raw talent the sooner that talent will transcend into wins and the sooner we get off the "we'll be good again someday" trend that we've been on for the last 15+ years.

Yeah, because a quick fix that may get us up to 7th at best has worked for us before.

Not to say that if he’s prepared and deserves it he shouldn’t play, but rushing things won’t help this one bit.

Yes there is. The sooner we blood games into raw talent the sooner that talent will transcend into wins and the sooner we get off the "we'll be good again someday" trend that we've been on for the last 15+ years.
Playing 3 or 4 games early if he is not ready will do zero for his development long term . He has missed more than half his top age year with injury and has not had a decent fitness base leading in. Now he has missed a big chunk of pre season . The smart move is having him build his fitness play some VFL and helpfully some AFL at the back end of the season . Playing young players before they are ready is not a formular for futre wins .
I suspect he will light up the VFL when he plays but I want to see it first . We need to know more about Hobbs , Caldwell and Setterfield as midfielders and Menzie as a forward before we need to be seeing Tsatas in the side.

He would have to build up basically an entire pre season worth of conditioning again. He’s probably recovered for the most part and now needs conditioning. He was last in our time trial or there abouts before the injury. Would make sense he has to build up again.

Injury report has him out for 3-4 months while not even mentioning him in the body of the report. WTF.
Not a total surprise. He has had a lot of time out out of action in the last 12 months. I would rather he spends this year preparing for next season. Long slow rehab. Some VFL in the back half of the year and a clean bill of health for next pre season. As for the injury report. Some things never change.

3-4 months wtf is going on.
3 months = 12 weeks, the bye is round 14. So I guess we’ll see him after the bye?

They didn’t originally give us a time frame just said they’ll consult the surgeon after the surgery is done. I think Blitz said 12 weeks and Timmy said 8, with 8 being this Friday.

I hope it means they’ve taken the Dylan Shiel route of fixing it properly and not just snipping out a bit of cartilage every year or two until there’s none left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back