Universal Love 5 years ago today - Yabby passed away

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah that is freaky. thought it more like 2 years. Still my pick for best Hawks coach of all time.

Interesting to see hear on Open Mike that Terry Wallace was told by Yabby he was never welcome back at Hawthorn after he left 1986. So basically Alan Jeans was instrumental in bringing Alastair Clarkson to the club and the ensuing 4 flags we all know we wouldn't have won under Wallace.

yeah that is freaky. thought it more like 2 years. Still my pick for best Hawks coach of all time.

Interesting to see hear on Open Mike that Terry Wallace was told by Yabby he was never welcome back at Hawthorn after he left 1986. So basically Alan Jeans was instrumental in bringing Alastair Clarkson to the club and the ensuing 4 flags we all know we wouldn't have won under Wallace.

Yep, the great Yabby Jeans told Terry Wallace that if he walked out on the club, he would not be welcome back. Terry was one of my favourite players, big star at the club, he would have been in line for captaincy.

He walked, and probably missed out on 3 premierships. He could have been a 6 time premiership player.

Yabby told him.

Yep, the great Yabby Jeans told Terry Wallace that if he walked out on the club, he would not be welcome back. Terry was one of my favourite players, big star at the club, he would have been in line for captaincy.

He walked, and probably missed out on 3 premierships. He could have been a 6 time premiership player.

Yabby told him.
Likewise my fav player as a youngster, only to become one of my most despised former Hawk. Along with one other...

Likewise my fav player as a youngster, only to become one of my most despised former Hawk. Along with one other...

I have to agree, but I think Wallace leaving was a far greater wrench than Buddy.
At the 1986 AGM, members pretty much pleaded with Wallace to stay; it was a time when players were rarely traded, and usually stayed with one club for life, particularly a successful club like Hawthorn.

He was despised for leaving, but he was the loser.

Yabby told him.
Might have won a couple that we didn't with him there too. Silly campaigner......or should that be silly silly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will never forget when I was only 12 in 1983 after beating Collingwood at Princes Park I ran upto Yabby after the game and asked if him "what are our chances of winning this years premiership?" Yabby stopped in his tracks and briefly explained to me that there were plenty of reasons why we could win that year, but unfortunately that guarantees you nothing. My father was very impressed . A true gentleman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back